• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just for Fun - PM Roy in Melee - How far does he go?

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, this is more just for fun speculation, but as I was switching between playing PM and Melee and seeing just how effective a few changes to his moveset are, I was wondering...

If we replaced Melee Roy with PM Roy in Melee's environment, just how far do you think he'd be able to get, tier-wise?

Would there still be any match-ups that would prove difficult for him?

I think that characters like Samus which have spammable projectiles could still give him trouble, but the added KO power of PM Roy should be enough to bring that match up much closer. And as for PM Roy vs Melee Marth, I believe this match up will also be much closer to even, despite Marth's spacing advantage.

Anyways, Melee Roy is Tier 20 out of 26 characters, with PM Roy's new tools, a low-ball speculation from me would put him at around 12th, pushing back Ganon. What's your guys' opinion on this?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I think he'd probably be in someone comparable levels with Marth, since his game would revolve around popping up with combos and rely on Bair finishes along with fsmash/flareblade/side-b kills. He would still have no true gimping ability compared to marth though, so idk if he would fit well into the meta like marth does. Sheik, falco, and samus would still give him a lot of trouble due to projectiles. Due to the physics and the engine though it would be more difficult than PM for the sheer sake that Haxdashing is really hard in melee for roy. Idk about the frames he gets the invincibility either. He might not be able to do much of anything for a getup like the way he can retain invincibility on haxdash in PM fora few frames(enough to at least get shield off or a perfectly timed Dsmash). Sheik with the chain grab would be as miserable as it was in melee. The only thing that would change would be the fact that his Nair has the second hit knockback, the Bair finisher, and the modified DED. I know for a fact that Bair finisher alone with boost him up quite a bit as a threat since killing was a difficult part of his game.

I could agree with around 12th.

Last edited:
Top Bottom