• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just bought smash....

ERN

Smash Rookie
...and I have a few questions.

1. I am using the wii pro controller and wondering if there is a way to edit which button does what. I'm used to smash 64 and keep getting the jump and b buttons confused along with the shield/grab.

2. Is wii u pro ok for competitive play?

3. Is there a link to a video that talks about this games fundamentals and basic advanced techniques?

Thanks for the help!

-ERN

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
You can change controls in the options. It's a bit unintuitive, but I believe it's under the "Games and More" menu.

Wii U pro will likely be fine during smaller locals, but if you plan on going to huge nationals (or bigger regionals for places like California that have a huge scene) you'll have some trouble with the wireless interference and some places will ban wireless controls like the Wii U Pro to avoid potentially interrupting a match by leaving a connected controller somewhere and someone accidentally pausing it.

As for an introductory video, here's one by ZeRo, one of the best players in the game currently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvtpq-4EGY

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
...and I have a few questions.

1. I am using the wii pro controller and wondering if there is a way to edit which button does what. I'm used to smash 64 and keep getting the jump and b buttons confused along with the shield/grab.

2. Is wii u pro ok for competitive play?
Depends on the tournament you go to. But typically it's recommended to stick with a wired Gamecube controller as no TO will disallow that.

3. Is there a link to a video that talks about this games fundamentals and basic advanced techniques?
First Attack is a pretty good resource for fighting game fundamentals in general. Only a small section are Smash specific, and I'm not sure if they go deep into playing Smash as I've never watched them, but a lot of basic ideas should help improve your game a ton.

There's also the vids by RushHourSmash. ESAM's Deal With it series. Dabuz makes analysis videos. etc. There's tons of stuff out there, you just gotta know where to look.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah, you got your answers, pretty much. Hope you have fun with the game!
I think using the Wii U Pro controller is alright. I don't see why anyone would complain about that, most of the time. To be completely fair, even using the 3DS from a fair distance rarely gives me issues, and the 3DS is just all around crap, anyway, so using a controller probably will have even less connection issues.

And for more examples of places you can find tips, along with some interesting videos:
Smash Academy:
My Smash Corner:
And Beefy Smash Doods:

Top Bottom