• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

just a thought

Gushers™

Smash Rookie
I just had an idea, the shield drop grenade to blow up on shield thing would work better with a spot dodge wouldn't it? Wouldn't it give you more options?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
This has been considered, yeah. The problem is that spotdodge has 11 ending frames that are tangible (and thus, Snake gets hit by the grenade). This is too great to follow up with anything of value, considering the grenade probably only has 7 or 8 frames of shieldstun. Spotdodge options simply aren't viable when sitting in shield and taking the shieldstun gives you quicker access to actionable frames. It's not all for naught, though, as Snake has a few good Out Of Shield options:
1. Cypher. 5 frame hitbox is faster than almost anything else in the game. Use Shield DI to get close to your opponent and this will punish most OOS options they go for. Moreover:
The first two frames of Cypher are -1 on shield, meaning almost nothing can stop it (maybe a perfect Samus Screw Attack OOS?)
The aerial hitboxes of Cypher are +1 on shield!!!
You can cancel this into any aerial
Nair is really good because of its low landing lag.
I'm fairly certain that Nair into jab/f-tilt is near perfect shield pressure because the hits are -5/-4/-3 on shield respectively, and jab comes out frame 3, f-tilt frame 4. Proper spacing helps eliminate punishes as well. (Snake reaches REALLY far)​
Dair could possibly be good as a mixup.
Cross them up to get behind them and pivot grab ayoooo. Or you can pivot your upB and get a normal grab.​
Bair can lay good pressure and is -3/-4/-5 on shield depending on the hitbox (treat it like nair).
It can also shieldpoke outright because of how much space it covers.​
Up Air is potentially the best shield option stat-wise, being at best -2 on shield!
a goofy thing that tends to happen is that people get up aired into the Cypher hitbox, popping them back down and letting you combo again (if you know how it works)
I don't know how it works unfortunately. mash u-tilt?​
2. Grab. Never a bad option, and if you have a good feel for exactly when shieldstun ends (which probably means you're going to be faster at it than your opponent) you'll still catch a lot of options.
3. Spotdodge/roll for when you think you can read your opponent's OOS option.
4. SHIELD DROP. I've not seen a single Snake utilize this, but it's really really good. you get airborne in two frames. I need to do more testing with this 'cause I have a lot of funny ideas swarming in my head right now, but everybody needs to consider this.
5. Wavedash/shield drop away before the explosion ever comes out. You can also use the Wavedash to reposition the grenade and mix up the opponent's options (you can see Professor Pro do this a lot).

Top Bottom