• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just a quick rant..

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
Why did Sakurai have to make items *SO* easy to pick up? ><

Could have atleast made it harder to pickup bananas. :(

I've realized, although it's pretty much common sense, that a smart opponent will counter you with your bananas and eventually punish you until you die with them.

I kind of wish the only way to pick up bananas would be diddy's dashing attack, or midair neutral. ><;

Although, DK could pick them up too.

Bananas are monkey only!

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
It helps to balance things out and make them more interesting. If you just throw bananas haphazardly, your opponents will catch on. I agree however that it gets very annoying when the enemy uses them against you. :(

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
Yea let me just say that it's reeeeally easy to pick your banana up on a dash attack after someone has used it against you, which in the end removes any punishment of slipping the opponent tried to use at you. There should be absolutely no reason to be punished with your own bananas.

Reasons:
It's up to you when and where they come out. YOu make them. If opponent uses them successfully they're either lucky enough you through them out at a bad time, or you just need to have better timing and placement with ur nanners.

Diddy can catch a thrown banana as easily, if not easier than any other opponent who might catch yours. Once again, it is up to diddy when and where they come out; in essence how long they last and to what purpose they serve. Trust me, the banana game is almost rigged. If it weren't for the fact the opponent could pick them up coupled with Diddy's lack of a GOOD k.o. move, diddy would be top tier fo sho.

Diddy for '08! woot

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
Not to start an arguement, but how can you say diddy doesn't have a good K.O. move? O.o

My issue is just how easy it is to pick up items in the game in general.

Just pushing an attack, or even mid air dodging(WTF?) near an item will catch it, didn't you have to hit Z in the air during Melee, and have to walk up to the item and hit A to pick it up?

It annoys me when someone does a dash attack, I throw a banana, and they catch it in the middle of their dash, it's ridiculous.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
It annoys me when someone does a dash attack, I throw a banana, and they catch it in the middle of their dash, it's ridiculous.
This happened to me earlier today. My opponent clearly had no intention of catching it, but regardless he proceeded to throw it back at me. As much as we could "rant" about this you just have to realize its that much more important to catch them off guard. Or do the same if they throw it back

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
I'm fairly sure the timer doesn't change, the bananas have a set time that runs out no matter who's throwing them, but airborne and bananas being held do not lose time..

No?

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
Not to start an arguement, but how can you say diddy doesn't have a good K.O. move? O.o

My issue is just how easy it is to pick up items in the game in general.

Just pushing an attack, or even mid air dodging(WTF?) near an item will catch it, didn't you have to hit Z in the air during Melee, and have to walk up to the item and hit A to pick it up?

He doesn't have a solid K.O. Granted, that's not to say you can't K.O. with him, or else I'd never win. His Fsmash can K.O. on the second hit, but if the opponent knows what he's doing it's easily avoided. Also, it only K.O.s at high percentages anyway. Same with his fair. His ftilt can actually k.o., and is quick, but once again only at high percentages. Diddy is a combo artist, and before he can K.O. he has to combo the opponent to high percentages. The one REAL K.O. move diddy has is his dair, which is an amazing spike k.o.ing as low as 40%, sometimes lower. Thats all I meant.

About their dash attack and you throwing the banana, time your throws better. You should never throw the banana when they're on the offensive like that. there are much more effective ways to use it, and it is meant to be part of a combo, not necessarily to initiate it (unless it's on the ground). Diddy's bananas are all about control. They setup your next move, since they hardly do any damage themselves (none if they're just slipped on). Don't use the banana as a projectile except to continue to keep the opponent down.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Just a little something to reinvigorate your love of bananas, try throwing them upwards more, you can use this as a mask to cover a roll, or just to do something new.

Basically, like was said above, this isn't a failing on Nintendo's part, it's a challenge. Yes they can have banana games too, but you are the master of the nanners, so learn them. Play with a buddy and ask them to pick up bananas and use them against you.

Don't rail against it, because then you'll be angry (or even scared a little) when your opponent grabs one. Just accept it as part of the game, and adapt.

Happy smashing.

TexEagle

Smash Rookie
Bananas I think are pretty overrated. Yeah they are fun and i'll definitly throw them out if i have time, but in a one on one its hard to get them out. They are great for annoying your opponent, and for a free hit every once in a while, but dont rely on them.

Yeah i also hate picking up an item when i had no intention of doing it, with all the random items that look the same im not even sure what im picking up sometimes. and a lot of the time i stops me from doing the move i wanted

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Bananas I think are pretty overrated. Yeah they are fun and i'll definitly throw them out if i have time, but in a one on one its hard to get them out. They are great for annoying your opponent, and for a free hit every once in a while, but dont rely on them.

Yeah i also hate picking up an item when i had no intention of doing it, with all the random items that look the same im not even sure what im picking up sometimes. and a lot of the time i stops me from doing the move i wanted
Try playing without items... and see how useful they are. :)

Top Bottom