• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

jumping for defense?

T-nuts

Smash Ace
hey guys, i was thinking about the way i play kirby yesterday and i realized that when im on defense, i dodge more by doing full jumps than by spot dodging or rolling. example, meta knight uses dsmash and it pushes me too far away to retaliate, but i know another is coming immediately afterward (the little spammer lol). roll will get me hit if i go toward him and leave me in no position to punish if i go away. spot dodge might work, but theres a chance he could use a third dsmash after and still hit me first. if i shield again ill lose even more shield or possibly get shield stabbed.

on the other hand, if i jump, his dsmash goes harmlessly under me and i counter with ffall bair.

this works well in many situations, and i started doing it more after i realized bair out of shield was absolutely godly.

i think this is probably the best option when you shield a well spaced attack that leaves you unable to retaliate immediately. opinions? anyone else do this a lot?

Krii

Smash Journeyman
It is very practical and works in theory, just be careful cause MK's Upsmash is fast also and has range (**** spammer). But it definately does seem much more of a usable evasion tactic, seeing as how he can punish you for rolling and spot dodging

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Try jump against attacks with low vertical range, like MK's Dsmash or Snake Fsmash, use spot dodge on high vertical range attacks with some lag, like Marth's Fsmash or Wolf Upsmash, and use roll on attacks with much lag and durability, like Dedede's UpB, giving you some time to counterattack.

The examples aren't the bests, but i think you guys can understand..

Top Bottom