• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump or waveland out of shine?

budda69

Smash Rookie
I really like playing falco, but I just can figure out when I should jump out of shine, or wavedash out of shine. Any thoughts?

Abszol

Smash Rookie
I tend to use waveshine when
- My opponent di's my shine
- I want to watch where their going to go and follow up appropriately by awaiting what their going to do. For example, Mang0 commented about Plup's ability to sdi Falco's shine and cause a no follow up. If we were to jump out of shine rather than waveshining the sheik, we would be throwing away valuable frames/time that we could be using to assess the situation.

So why do Falco's jump? I tend to use a jump follow up on a fox that doesn't DI that well but that's not always the case. When I find myself under a platform or on a platform like battlefield, such as the middle ones. Ill shine if there > 25% and platform combo them by jumping out of shine and follow up if I know its in range.

In essence, know the percents and understand how far they go.

StrayDog

Smash Rookie
Always waveshine when the shine is guaranteed to hit. Like if you got a clean opening (dair punish on marth's fsmash for example) then you should almost always waveshine. When you are approaching on someone's shield, use your judgment. If they have been shield grabbing or attempting an oos option that has been getting beaten by shine and you think they will do it again, waveshine. Otherwise, shine into short hop to continue pressure, double shine or shine grab.

Also, you should always waveshine towards your opponent when you think the shine will hit. If you do an aerial and cross them up, you will have to waveshine backwards to put yourself in the best position to follow up. The reason for waveshining is that DI-ing shine away from Falco sends opponents too far away to follow up if he doesn't waveshine, but you can follow up on a shine that your opponent DI'd in even if you waveshine towards them.

That's a very simplified version of when to waveshine and obviously sometimes there are advantages to waveshining away on shield, and sometimes waveshining in on shield will not be punished if your opponent is scared of double shine or shine grab, but it's a good starting point.

Top Bottom