• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Josuke(Sonic) vs Sosa(Rob) Friendly Matches!

alejandroidex

Smash Apprentice
Hi Guys we are mexican smashers since melee, but we start playing brawl recently and this are some of our recent vids.. my friend josuke mains sonic so i post this matches to have some Advices and Opinions to get better.. also if you want to give some to my rob would be great.

Josuke(Sonic) vs Sosa(Rob) R-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WcMSugJRcA&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs Sosa(Rob) R-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdxnpNgPbM0&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs Sosa(Rob) R-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI29UuV7zgw&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs Sosa(Rob) R-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcGNLS3Sd0&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs Sosa(Rob) R-5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1t62sIKgA&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs Sosa(Rob) R-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JdoMG2aXFs&feature=channel_page

Thanks for Your Time and sorry for my Bad English.

SeeyA!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Saw the first vidja, since I don't play R.O.B I don't want to say anything since I might not have the right things to say. Anyway I saw a couple of things that need fixing concerning the Sonic player. If you really want to be critiqued I suggest you take this to the R.O.B. forums, preferably in one of their video threads. We have one ourselves too, it's the Winning Steak Cinemas.

In general, his aerial combat needs work, he seems to either be throwing out the wrong aerial or not doing it at the right time. :17 would be a good example of said display. I want to see rising Fairs, they can Auto-Cancel at the right height, but the lag from it caused him to get punished for it. Then again perhaps it was not best to approach with Fair from that far anyway.

:25 I suppose he had the right idea, just instead of FTilt try Utilt, it spaces aerial/vertical opponents better + usually does more damage than FTilt just because it might be more fresh/you can hit with more parts of UTilt with aerial opponents. I won't emphasize on this too much but it's just something to look out for.

Is your friend aware of DACUS (Dash Attack-canceled Up Smash)?

:39 NO WASTING YOUR FSMASH! :mad: Yelling aside Sonic should not be using FSmash this early, it's one of his few kill moves and for damage-racking/spacing/speed FTilt usually outshines it. It is really important that FSmash stays fresh until the opponent is at the right %age.

:41 Could've used an Uair with R.O.B. so close to the ledge and still usually be able to make it back. Even if Sonic wouldn't have snapped onto the ledge, the Spring is still there.

:47 Needs work on SDI, but I don't usually if ever see a R.O.B. so the side-B anyway.

:55 It would've been wise to have moved to the right and follow-up with Fair or Nair after that airdodge, R.O.B. was pitted with that bair though, I'll give him that.

1:05 This is what I mean by FTilt being better for speed, that FSmash came out way too slow and gave R.O.B. enough time to react.

1:22 Nair or Fair would've worked better than Uair here since both can usually last long enough to hit people out of Airdodges/you're falling with them so they will have an even bigger chance of getting hit by the two aerial attacks.

1:35 Why put on the stage assault if you won't even attack? :/ I guess that's just part of what I said when some work needed to be done in that field.

1:47 Yeah there's no need to fast-fall an aerial from the edge unless the opponent is already below there. Uair is disjointed, but it doesn't go that far sadly.

2:30 This here is also something to keep a track of. It really sucks when this happens so always pay attention to the jump data.

3:41 is a BAD direct attack, especially when the Gyro is right in front of R.O.B. to protect him from getting hit. Try FTilts.

"End of Video" It would've been better to Fair and then use Aerial Spin-Charge (ASC) to counteract the momentum from the FSmash. Might've lived if you didn't use Dair which doesn't help in anything.

Hope this helps.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
-Stop trying to Fsmash early on.
-Use less Spring > Dair.
-Stop using Dair to cancel momentum. Use Fastfall Fair + DownB. It's the best way to momentum cancel, and along with good DI, Sonic can live to mad %'s.
-Stop using spindash as a DIRECT approach (I didn't see this TOO often, but I saw you do it when ROB had a gyro right in front of him and you went right into it...NO GOOD).

With these common misteaks made by very many first time Sonic's, let's get to the good stuff. I actually see potential in you so I'm going to break down round one.

-You can shield ROB's sideB. It's his worse move.

-Be more agressive offstage against ROB. ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S HANGING UNDER THE EDGE LIKE THAT. ROB is soooooooooo susceptable to Bair stage spiking when he's caught under the ledge. There were several times where he was just UpBing into the bottom of the stage and you weren't doing anything...abuse that.

1:58 - 2:01
RIGHT HERE ESPECIALLY!

ROB is just SCREAMING "STAGE SPIKE ME PLEASE!". Seriously, in that position, ROB can't do **** to Sonic. ROB has very poor aerial acceleration.

+Edguarding against ROB in general is a huge must. This is where Sonic excels in this matchup, so spam the living hell out of Bair offstage to make sure he does not come back. The occasional Fair or two is great for getting him closer to the blastzone.

-I mentioned the Fsmash thing and so did Kinzer, but I'm going to emphasize it.
REPLACE ALL OF YOUR FSMASHES BELOW 100% WITH FTILT
You'll be so much better.
+Angled Ftilts are also really good for poking ROB in the air if he's coming toward you. It's fantastic.

2:20 - 2:24

Yes! Do this more! All the time! This proves how terribad ROB is at protecting the underside of himself in the air, and you abused that very well there. Do it more. Remember, Uair will outrange ROB's Dair and most of his aerials. Bair also outranges most.

-Keep track of your jumps/spindashes offstage. Suicides happen to everyone, but it's very important to keep track of this. You probably could've won that match if that hadn't happened.

2:50 - 2:54

...again, ROB is just waiting for you to **** him. Do it.

Overall, you must fight ROB in the air. Abuse the living hell out of Uair. ROB can be combo'd with Uair. Uair>Double Jump>Uair is **** fest on ROB. Hell, you can even Uair ROB right out of a footstool jump! Bair is also a great move, along with Fair. If I didn't make it clear, Sonic's aerials are his biggest asset against ROB, and ROB's poor aerial acceleration is his biggest weakness. You definitley need more Fair.

If you need more ROB specifics, check out my ROB write up.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6970799&postcount=5049

In case you aren't aware I never lose to ROBs at tournaments...ever...lol
You're lucky though, this ROB didn't use that many tilts. That's the hardest thing to get around with Sonic.

I have faith in you. Prove me right and **** this ROB.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Camal, click on the post number, it's right next to the report button, that's how you get specific post URLs.

Aside from that, I kind of want to add a little bit more now, so I watched the second video was was on YI. I didn't see anything too different other than that Sonic can use iSDR as a direct approach. If you don't know what it is then it's simply Sonic doing a SpniDash (his side-B) on the very edge of the stage. The curve will make Sonic invulnerable to most any attacks, and the ones that can hit him will only clank with it, so you're still totally safe from it.

Now for the third video, let me see if I can find anything else wrong... or good, depending on how it goes.

:25 Learn spacing, I guess this is self-explanatory.

:39 ugh suicide, made me sadface. :(

:47 Now would've been the right time to FF that Bair, I guess now there's a little bit of a spacing problem here

:50 There's that unnecessary FSmash again.

1:06 There's being punished for doing an FSmash, work that FTilt son.

2:00 Usually after a DTilt Sonic can string an Utilt right after. I do suppose though since R.O.B. jumped it wouldn't have done anything but keep this in mind when at low %ages.

2:07 STOP THAT! :mad:

2:20 Stop using Dair to cancel momentum too, but I've already said this.

2:29 I guess now would be the time to tell you that HA is a very bad move, don't use it ever unless it's for recovery.

2:39 Needs more stage-spiking.

2:58 Still needs more stage-spiking.

3:23 Needs more pummels. They get in extra damage which makes a difference.

3:30 Yet again needs more stage-spike. BTW when I say stage-spike I don't mean that literally, could just use more offstage pressure.

3:39 Need I say it again?

The end of the video was sexy though. If it looks like I'm being harsh then I'm doing my job, because I need to make sure that I'm not wasting my time trying to help you, every little mistake made can be the last one when it counts, so the less you make, the better.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Kinz, that post basically just reiterates everything we covered, lol.

Thanks for the post direct link though :p

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The guy still did make some more mistakes I did not notice the first time, hence why I covered spacing.

Also managed to do some more incredible stuff, seriously when he was doin it rite, he really was doin it rite :3.

You're welcome.

alejandroidex

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Kinzer for the time you spend watching and showing every thing my friend need to work.. and also camalange for his time.

my friend doesnt speak english so im translating every single word you guys post in here to let him know what he need to work(me too XD).

this are 4 extra matches vs a friend that main pit(he still need some work). if you don't have a problem of watching and comenting about it would be so greatful for us.

Josuke(Sonic) vs C40x(Pit) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DVO8DjHDM&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs C40x(Pit) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_NcgvW-vLk&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs C40x(Pit) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g98gD1ZBSVo&feature=channel_page

Josuke(Sonic) vs C40x(Pit) 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud1rmH-n5o0&feature=channel_page

Thanks again for the time guys and sorry for my not so good english writting XD.
WAITING FOR YOUR COMMENTS!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I did not enjoy the first video... your friend used way too many FSmash, and decayed it too much for him to be able to kill with it. I feel silly that his opponent got hit by it so much to begin with... Too much Spring to Dair as well, it's a bad habit. Got to change it every now and then.

I hope the next video shows a little more promise.

No luck, I didn't see anything that was hit me right at the instant. -_-

I'm thinking these weren't some of his best matches?

Whether or not he meant to do some of the stuff he did or if he messed/up did it on accident, I'll commentate.

:20 He ran right into that Angel Ring. There's nothing wrong with slowing down as Sonic, heck some people might not be expecting that and get thrown off... sometimes that's necessary! Certainly better than having to take damage, most obviously. It also nice to be smart with damage-dealing too, and at that % it's usually better to FTilt than it is to Fsmash as a punisher/damage-racker.

1:03 Right there would've been a good time to shield-cancel that SpinDash charge. as for offstage assault Fair would've been better for Bair.

1:14 Learned the hard way that Pit has some pretty nasty stuff with aerials and it's not wise to try and fight it as Sonic... an UTilt could've done the job here.

1:34 FSmashing when nothing is there? Hmm...

1:37 Another example of way using a Spring to escape a bad situation and follow up with a Dair to get back on ground is not always the best idea.

1:49 Somebody is going to have to explain to me what happened here, I can't tell if he shield-canceled into a grab or something strange happened here. Moving on...

2:23 :/ Don't ever fastfall and take forever to do a Bair.

Next video, let's see what's in here.

:24 There's that FSmash decay.

:38 Here we go again... to a lesser extent I admit.

:58 made me sadface :( Had Sonic used a Fair right there, Pit would've been done for, he had no jumps left and if any of the hits connected Pit's Wings of Icarus would've been clipped and he would have no choice but to fall to the bottom of the stage. I guess that makes up for the kill 4 seconds later though.

1:47 I'll let this one slide since he managed to pull off some nice strings, but I still don't like it when people use FSmash that early on the stock.

2:05 This one however, get's a special :mad: from me! :mad:

2:15 Oh boy, the video got very hard to follow by this point. For me the video turned into a slideshow of pictures, but I still still tell that your friend really needs to lay off the offstage Bairs until he can learn to use other stuff.

2:19 This one wasn't even offstage, but then again something tells me it's not smart to approach Pit from that angle.

2:21 Even if the Spring did manage to cancel out the arrow, this needs to stop too.

Last one.

:17 I'll just say :mad:, and I think you know why by this point.

:25 I almost thought he was a goner, but boy was he lucky he still had his second jump... still Homing Attack is a bad edgegaurd, let alone a good anything. But that wouldn't have hit from that low even if he didn't shorten the lag by 1/2.

:36 Nair, not Bair.

:40 Incredibly risky recovery, had he been grabbed and just released that stock was as a good as done for, never do that when the opponent is expecting you at the ledge of the stage with only Spring Spring and aerials to get you back.

:49 Needs more anything but Dair/Bair, even if he had airdodged Fair might've been the better choice for airdodge punishment than Bair and proceeding to return back to the ground.

:55 I suppose the one can slip past by, still had that been a retreating Fair...

1:09 FSMASH! :mad:

1:25 Another undeed Spring -> Dair! :mad:

1:39 Didn't need to Bair but okay, nice grab.

2:11 Could've D/Ftilted instead of retreating.

2:13 Too slow with that FSmash! :mad:

2:30 Mispaced, and still wasn't needed! :mad:

2:51 I had to learn the hard way too that using ASC without your second jump to get back onstage is not the best idea too.

2:58 Needs more Fair/Uair.

I hope that helps, and if you see my :mad: later during my advice, it usually just means the same mistake was repeated time after time.

Top Bottom