• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Johns

AAAAAA

Smash Cadet
I beat my friend in a 2v2 with a cpu as m partner (Rivals) and now he's blaming the fact that I have more hours, and he's saying this isn't a john because it's true. Thoughts?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It depends.

Does he own the game as well, or is he only able to play when he's over? If he doesn't own the game it can be valid (but still kinda unnecessary) as it would be true. You'd be able to put in much more time into it while he could not. But if he owns the game as well there's nothing really stopping him from trying to get better and surpass you unless his life is just ultra-busy 100% of the time.

Plus, it's not just the hours that matter. While you really want to put time into it you really want to put in a lot of effort and research as well. Knowledge is just as important as time, so if you are more knowledgeable than he is you have the advantage there, too.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I beat my friend in a 2v2 with a cpu as m partner (Rivals) and now he's blaming the fact that I have more hours, and he's saying this isn't a john because it's true. Thoughts?
So, what he's basically saying is "You beat me because you're better at this game". I don't think that counts as a John.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I blame the CPU lol with their crappy input reading and 1 frame dodging. So who was his partner?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I mean... what he's saying is basically that he lost because he's less experienced at the game. While johning may have been his intention, that itself isn't so much an excuse as it is just being honest.
Although I do think the whole "no johns" attitude within the Smash community needs to die already...

Last edited:
Top Bottom