• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joanna Dark / James Bond

Would you like to see Joanna Dark / James Bond in Smash?

• Yes - Joanna Dark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - James Bond

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No - Neither

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

Alright, well, obviously, right off the bat, we know this is a character that can not and will not happen... as long as Rare is with Microsoft. Since Microsoft, surely, has no intention of giving Rare up (even though it would be for the good of everyone), this thread is more of a hypothetical. I mean, everyone else on this forum is dreaming, why can't I?

So, for all intents and purposes, I'm pretty much going to ignore the existence of Perfect Dark Zero on the Xbox 360. Microsoft screwed everyone when they bought Rare. They screwed Nintendo (which, I'm sure, was their main goal), they screwed Rare (as Rare is at it's best when it is with Nintendo), they screwed the gamers (Nintendo fans miss out on anything by Rare and Xbox gamers get crappy Wii Sports rip-offs) and they screwed themselves (now owning a development company that they don't need at all). So, pretty stupid mistake, and they have no intentions of fixing it.

But, had Microsoft never bought Rare, I think Joanna Dark would have had a very good chance at being in Super Smash Bros.
James Bond was considered during the development of Smash Bros. for the n64.
They even had an item from Goldeneye in the n64 version of Smash:

And then the proximity mine from Perfect Dark was in the Japanese version of Melee:

In the U.S., they used the Goldeneye mine again.

But since Perfect Dark took over the reigns for the n64's Goldeneye, it would make sense to have Joanna Dark as the playable character, instead of James Bond. I think Snake might have been kind of like how Joanna Dark was supposed to be. They obviously gave Snake some of his trademark moves (punch, punch, spin-kick), but Joanna Dark and Snake both used grenades, rocket launchers, remote missiles, proximity mines, and remote mine / C4.

So, let's say, for whatever reason, Nintendo and Rare were able to work together again by the time the next Smash Bros. comes out. Or even, if it happened during the Wii U's lifetime making it possible DLC for Smash 4 (Essentially 0% chance of that happening, I know.). Would you like Joanna Dark to be a playable Smash character? Or would you rather even see James Bond as a third party character? Bond is not a video game character by origin, but he did star in one of the n64's best selling games (Goldeneye actually sold more than Ocarina of Time did) and would actually be legally possible right now, whereas Joanna is not. They would just have to get the rights from Activision and MGM.

Top Bottom