• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

jiggs vs fox

Mtank

Smash Cadet
So this can be a touch matchup for puff, but sometimes it also feels like the easiest. I have a few observations/questions about this matchup that ive been noticing the last few tournaments. First question, how should you deal with a really campy fox who runs away lasers and dash dances? I find myself middle stage spacing bair until i overextend and get punished. What should I do instead? Maybe stay grounded? And that leads into an observation I've made. Why dont more puffs hold shield vs fox? half the time theyll come in with an upsmash expecting me to drop it, and if I just hold it, I get a free hard punish. The only the option is to grab me, which with my consistent s-di on foxes up air, leads to virtually nothing. I'm mostly just curious what other puff mains have observed about this matchup :)

Lanethelegend

Smash Rookie
You have the right idea with the b-airs. Fox wants you to approach because it makes his life so much easier due to how slow puff is in general so to counter this it's important to still be strong and stay back. Stay outside of his short hop range and dash range with spaced b-airs and camp. When you land, fox's will generally try to close the gap thinking they can get their Short hop n-air shine's or JC Grabs. This is the moment when you wavedash back to avoid the grab or n-air and get an easy grab.

When you stay on the ground, fox will most likely dashdance camp to bait a reaction so they can punish or wait for a shield and as we know, jiggs cannot play the ground game like fox can due to her slowness. What you'll want to do is camp on a side platform and MAKE HIM COME TO YOU! Shield drop u-airs are amazing and can lead into missed tech rests.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
...Why don't more puffs hold shield vs fox?
Because it's one of the most common and worst bad habits players tend to hold onto as they move from a beginner into mid-level play.

When you sit in shield, you are giving up control of the match. You are voluntarily giving up all of your mobility to play reflexively (mostly to try and shield grab or use a laggy aerial) in a matchup where your opponent never has to actually approach because he has lasers.

The only the option is to grab me, which with my consistent s-di on foxes up air, leads to virtually nothing.
Even if you could SDI uair 100% of the time, fox can simply switch to a different aerial. Bair will KO at a different % than uair, but it's still a KO. How would you react if a fox dthrows you and techchases usmash? Or if he is skilled at only landing the second hit of uair? What if you're not as consistant as you think and uthrow > uair still hits you 30% of the time? It's a pretty safe maneuver for fox to try, there's no reason not to do it.

Also Fox's only option is NOT just grabbing you. Fox and falco can sit on your shield and pressure you all day, putting you into a completely defensive position using aerial > shine shield pressure. They can always widdle your shield down until you get poked and then follow up on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom