• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Knowledge

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Hey puffs! Here's just a huge compilation of puff stuff from the top puff players. Enjoy.
King Wisdom:
Vs. Marth:
As long as you know the matchup, lag times for your own attacks and Marths, you know what can actually combo and what can't, know your DI for tippers, throws, Utilts, etc., and you know what openings are most easily punished in both your game and marth's game, the matchup is perfectly even imo. All of marth's advantages are counterbalanced by his deficits in lag times, inability to reliably kill at high%'s, relatively slow movement through the air, and ease of juggle. But if you don't know the matchup or don't know what to look out for, you'll get slaughtered.

King Out
On favorite rest methods:
For me, either a Dair into rest while airborne, soft reverse-Fair into rest at high%'s, Nair to rest, and (in teams) having my partner's fox waveshine them into my rest. And any rest that finishes off a 6+ hit combo, lol.

King Out
On resting spacies out of their side-b/edgeguarding fox:
Depends on what percent your jiggs is at at the time of the edgeguard against fox.

If you're above 50-55% or so, or if you're near their respawn point, a lot of the time it's just better to get the edgeguard rather than resting them only to have them respawn and Usmash-kill you. If they're recovering with forward-B, D-tilt them if they're aiming at the ledge; if they're aiming just above the ledge then throw out an Nair, this'll knock them below the stage and you can just Bair or soft-Fair them to death without giving them a tech opportunity.

If they recover with Up-B, it really depends what % they're at and how well you can aim moves at fox's UpB without trading hits. But if they aim at the ledge then usually Dsmash will work best (even though it usually ends up trading hits, so if fox is at low% jiggs might get knocked too high to punish the next Up-B attempt). If they aim high, just wait to Bair/Uair **** them back off lol, or space a Fsmash if you know it'll kill them.

If you're at really low percent though and the opportunity arises (which usually means the fox either sucks or fuked up his spacing bad) then by all means rest away, lol.

King Out
On banning the ledgecamping technique mentioned here:
I got back from work, sat down & opened up my laptop to this thread again, and after reading this last page... yeah I'm just going to give up & save myself the aggravation. Though I am going to leave a few last remarks lol.

1.) I hope to God I never find myself so lost that I'm on the opposing end of Brookman lol. But don't feel sorry for me man lol, arguing with that goddamn pony avatar only gives me strength.

2.) Concerning Haven's remark about how "M2k/Hax apparently have the greatest first-hand knowledge about this technique and how powerful it is"... well, considering that all of about 5 people agree with them out of this entire community so far, I'm going to go out on a limb and say their conjecture about this technique being broken is wrong.

3.) "i think its ok to ban anything if its going to keep people from enjoying the game".
This is why people like you do not help mold a trustworthy ruleset for tournament play. Coincidentally, it's also the reason why Wobbling was banned at *some* tournaments; in the end it's up to each TO to choose what he wants to allow, and it's up to the players whether or not they want to attend. The MBR isn't the authoritative institution of Melee, but they've been a damn good guiding light over the years.

If your philosophy about banning anything that doesn't sound fun was what governed Melee's ruleset... there wouldn't be anything left of Melee at the tournament level but kirby dittos.

"I don't like shine-spiking, that's really dumb cause it sends me below the stage too much and I die from just 1 move, it's banned."
"I don't like Jigglypuff's rest, one-hit KO's at nearly any percentage on any stage is unfair cause most characters can't do that, it's banned."
"I don't like Dreamland because it's tough for characters like Ganon to keep up with Fox and matches like that are boring to watch. But I don't know whether to ban Dreamland or Fox, help me guyz."

OUR community doesn't just ban things on a whim. We collectively do not ban things because they aren't fun. The only time a tactic/stage/character is even *considered* for a ban by anyone respected in the community is when said tactic/stage/character threatens to destroy the game's integrity and degenerate/influence the metagame towards one stagnant direction.
Mango Advice:
Have u *****s seen the hitbox for nair

sooo **** ****

and i played puff yesterday... shessssoooorape

dash attack is **** ****... start using it

Mango advice for the week

=D ^_^
On how to get back onstage from the ledge:
all u have to do 2 get up is like

do a drill of the edge

or a fair

or jump

or some ****
On marth:
well a marth pretty hard 2 beat when u space

but u just gotta wait for like that split second

when hes open then jump out and fair

read the marth matchup

USE UR SHEILD!!
when i edgeguard marths

i just go out there and fair

DONT EVER BAIR

i mean landing a fair is easier because her little feet

stay out longer then a bair

Hungrybox Advice:
How to SDI fox's upthrow>upair:
Hold up when up-throwed

then mash up again right when he hits you
and then mash up on c-stick 1 frame after
On Pound:
Pound to Rest is pretty good on floaties.

Pound to Setup to rest is highly, highly recommended against any char.

Next time you play one of those dashdancing *******s do a downward angled Pound in the air between the space between you guys. Prepare for jab reset.
To the pawfs:<God tier advice

Matchup stuff:
Vs. Fox/Falco
Falco is quite a scary character...

Bairing only does so much, as does fairing. Fairing has a better chance of hitting Falco, and all you really need to kill Falco is that first hit.

The "perfect" Falco against Jiggs is currently played by Dr. PP. I was barely able to beat him at CEO since I was able to adapt, but his patience and DI shuts out many of Jigglypuff's options.

Nair is a good trick to add in to your aerial smoothie. Bair bair bair fair fair bair NAIR bair bair...

etc

Nair has a lot of priority.

Overall, you will also be surprised how much staying on the ground helps and just crouching under those darn lasers.

Wavedash around, and if you've ever played Megaman you should know the right time to jump out and begin an aerial attack.

Uair is risky...but SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO beneficial.

Uair + Jab is more of a barrage for Fox, it seems to counter him well.

and of course, if you have NO idea what to do, just pray and space bairs.

Works for me every single time I'm clueless in a match.
You can't bait a pro fox. They will just camp you.

You have to approach fox with a nair, and when you have an open spot you have to grab him and throw him to the edge. He will either tech and roll right back to you or tech at the edge. You can punish either.

Bair is REALLY good against marth. Not so much fox...you should use nair for fox.
diagonal fairs.

constantly go for uptilt rest.

and crouch. crouch to uptilit next to his shield is a MIND****.

oh and uair to uair to uair to uair is sex.
Fair above his head. Then retreat.

Wavedash towards him. Then back as soon as he approaches you.

Falco is very grabbable. And upthrowable.
jiggs should ALWAYS be able to edgeguard a fox.

most of the time you should always wait on the edge - don't go out too quickly. WAIT and see what they do. You have 5 jumps and you're floaty as ****. Use it to your advantage.
Fox isn't so much about comboing him as it is messing up his momentum

little pokes here and there that catch him off guard will make grabs and jab resets more viable

Shffl upair against fox a lot

jab randomly

don't stop bairing

PUFFS

Please look into Dair. It has game-changing potential when cancelled correctly.
Vs. Peach
Bairs are the primary attacking move

I'm saying Fair (delayed, baby ones especially) are pivotal in approaching
trust me i was yelling at mango to spam bair during genesis finals lol

fair has HELLA priority, Peach can sometimes get around bair

(this is from my personal experience playing Armada)

you bair the **** out of her. Its nearly impossible to beat a well-spaced bair.

ban yoshi's.

a mediocre peach will downsmash when she is next to you. YOU CAN HOP AND REST :D

another tip: she is the easiest to rest out of up-tilt. She's the perfect mix of heaviness, floatiness, and a relatively large target thanks to that dress.

she will throw turnips and try to fair you with turnips. Just float over them.

you can poke by doing a forward nair into her shield and retreating before you hit the ground.

Never hold down or crouch cancel. EVER.

if she dash attacks into your sheild its a free rest.

when she is off the stage, go after her - grab the edge if she approaches it - her parasol will fall right thrugh you. if she is at high % and recovering from a big hit, up air her. jiggs uair > peaches dair.

back throw -> bair spam is SOOOO Good, man.
Vs. Sheik
after landing on a platform above shiek, just angle your shield downwards toward the direction you are facing

then edge drop nair into shiek into crouch

stock
Vs. Ganon
uptilt is a magnet to ganon

just mix up uptilt and crouch in front of his shield

don't challenge his aerials

he has to come down some time
Vs. Doc:
jiggs should ALWAYS be able to edgeguard a fox.

most of the time you should always wait on the edge - don't go out too quickly. WAIT and see what they do. You have 5 jumps and you're floaty as ****. Use it to your advantage.
Rest Techniques:
Hello, this is the main reason I'm taking Jigglypuff way more seriously now:

The Phanna Rest

Some notes:
  • What is edge cancelling?

• This is a technique video, not a combo video. I'm not fighting people, it all just cpu's.

• You can't just run out and try winning with this alone, just like any other resting trick. But you should definitely be aware of it to take advantage of it whenever possible, just like combo rests, bad DI rests, etc.

• Depending on who your foe is and their %, pretty much any aerial has the potential of working. You simply slide it off an edge and then rest them. It's faster than any l-cancelled aerial could be, but is also more situational.

• Almost everything I enjoy about this game is finding out new things and sharing it with others to enhance the complexity and enjoyment of the game, that is my only purpose with this.

What you see in the video:
  • uair (reverse) - 34% Roy
    [*]uair (forward) - 22% Bowser
    [*]nair (reverse) - 28% Marth
    [*]nair (reverse) - 61% Mario
    [*]nair (reverse) - 76% Captain Falcon
    [*]nair (forward) - 09% Roy
    [*]fair (reverse) - 35% Zelda
    [*]fair (reverse) - 25% Peach
    [*]fair (reverse) - 21% Ganondorf
    [*]fair (forward) - 23% Fox
    [*]dair (reverse) - 17% Sheik
    [*]dair (reverse) - 24% Ganondorf
    [*]dair (forward) - 15% Samus
    [*]dair (forward) - 67% Peach
    [*]dair (forward) - 20% Marth
    [*]bair (reverse) - 22% Falco
    [*]bair (reverse) - 22% Captain Falcon
There are obviously much more applications, I just wanted to showcase this as soon as I could put a video together about it.

• Utilt>rest
  • Uthrow>rest
  • Downthrow>rest (with bad DI)
  • Upair>rest
  • Pound>rest
  • Crouch grab>rest
  • Nair>rest (Harder to do)

This is still a work in progress, let me know if there's anything else you want to see in this thread.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Glad you're finally getting this going

If you need any help, let me know.

Massive

Smash Champion
Whoa, there are actually things in this thread now?
Sexy.

Needs more ledgehop invincible frame reverse fair.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
This thread deserves a bump. Also, I think this belongs here. Quick Hungrybox tips on lots of matchups

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
Look at peach's di versus marth, specifically armada versus m2k.
I believe the di is percent dependent.
Down di is the hardest to get mixed up on but you have to have really good down and out di to avoid all tippers chances

Top Bottom