• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Help Needed

Yeezu$

Smash Rookie
I have been playing ssbm for a good time and I want to learn Jigglypuff. I have been watching Hungrybox for awhile and been practicing my rests and b-airs. But I haven't really seen myself improve all that much. I was wondering if anyone has any goods tips on learning Jigglypuff and helping me improve with the character. I also was wondering if there is a training regimen I can do with Jigglypuff to help me. Also, my area of the US does not have a good melee seen at all and I was wondering what I could do since Michigan doesn't have the biggest Melee seen.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
While I'm not a Jiggs player, the small amount I've played her as well as all the footage I've seen of her playing has led me to discover that she revolves primarily around what the other opponent is doing. Hungrybox opts for a very defensive style, which pays off well for her. Learning to weave in and out, dash dancing, and especially spacing are key Puff essentials you should get down. Just set up a level 1 CPU and work on spacing fair and bair. Up throw rest on any level CPU does not translate well into fighting a real player, as your real life opponent will almost always jump out of the way immediately or DI in more sensible directions.

As for the scene situation, Michigan does have a rather prominent smash presence. One of the biggest tournaments of the year is held in Dearborn, called The Big House. Smash Facebook groups are pretty common, try to search your area of Michigan with "smash" or "melee" after it. If you find one person who plays, they'll have friends who do to.

Sorry about the limited Puff help, but I offered what I could. :p Other good Jigglypuff players you could watch are Prince Abu and S0ft.

Last edited:

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Michigan is actually a pretty strong state for smash. I'm a puff main in MI and I'm thankful for all the tournaments around. Solo practice is hard to advise when you should really play real players when learning a new character, otherwise you'll adopt bad habits. I personally practice drill-grab setups, tipper Bair spacing, up tilt rests, and invincible aerials from ledge. But what you should really focus on is how you're gonna counter your opponents options with options of your own, and how you'll kill them asap once you get a hit.

i4n

Smash Rookie
there's definitely a huge michigan scene, theres a large group with 2000+ members on Facebook and sub groups for the different areas of michigan within that group.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
While I'm not a Jiggs player, the small amount I've played her as well as all the footage I've seen of her playing has led me to discover that she revolves primarily around what the other opponent is doing. Hungrybox opts for a very defensive style, which pays off well for her. Learning to weave in and out, dash dancing, and especially spacing are key Puff essentials you should get down. Just set up a level 1 CPU and work on spacing fair and bair. Up throw rest on any level CPU does not translate well into fighting a real player, as your real life opponent will almost always jump out of the way immediately or DI in more sensible directions.
Hbox is actually pretty aggressive in most MUs, specifically ones where he's getting camped down like Fox or Falco. His camping ledge thing didn't work so he started going aggro, and it's worked wonders so far as you can see by his tournament results.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Hbox is actually pretty aggressive in most MUs, specifically ones where he's getting camped down like Fox or Falco. His camping ledge thing didn't work so he started going aggro, and it's worked wonders so far as you can see by his tournament results.
I guess you're right, it's like a perfect harmony of defensive and aggressive. Which I suppose is why he's the best Puff :p

BairSSBM

Smash Rookie
Puff isn't necessarily difficult to practice alone, but she is a character that benefits a lot more from playing against others. Hbox is such a good player because his ability to react to what his opponent, a skill that he could have only really developed against other player's characters.

That being said, there are definitely some skills you can practice alone in order to prepare to implement them into real matches. Autocanceling nairs, spacing bairs, dash dancing consistently, and any move to l-cancel uptilt is a good start. Getting more advanced you might want to start getting consistent at sheild dropping, rollout-ing to snapping the ledge (not used often, and not advised, but it is a nice mixup to use once per set), and probably one of the most difficult things to do as puff: l-canceling dair into grab, or rest. Dair is EXTREMELY helpful if you can l-cancel it consistently. However, the timing is tricky because the timing varies based on how many times you hit your opponent (multiple hitboxes), how far you are from landing, etc.

AKIR4

Smash Rookie
NNID
aKiR4
Puff isn't necessarily difficult to practice alone, but she is a character that benefits a lot more from playing against others. Hbox is such a good player because his ability to react to what his opponent, a skill that he could have only really developed against other player's characters.

That being said, there are definitely some skills you can practice alone in order to prepare to implement them into real matches. Autocanceling nairs, spacing bairs, dash dancing consistently, and any move to l-cancel uptilt is a good start. Getting more advanced you might want to start getting consistent at sheild dropping, rollout-ing to snapping the ledge (not used often, and not advised, but it is a nice mixup to use once per set), and probably one of the most difficult things to do as puff: l-canceling dair into grab, or rest. Dair is EXTREMELY helpful if you can l-cancel it consistently. However, the timing is tricky because the timing varies based on how many times you hit your opponent (multiple hitboxes), how far you are from landing, etc.
How would you practice these things by yourself? I'm currently in this situation.

Trezz

Smash Cadet
How would you practice these things by yourself? I'm currently in this situation.
If you don't have it already, I'd highly suggest figuring out how to install 20xx, since it's entirely designed around solo practice. It's much easier to learn and know when you're doing stuff right/wrong with the tools in it.

Spacing Aerials
Start by practicing on stationary opponents. Learn the ranges for your bair/fair and aim to hit the opponent with the tips of them for the best spacing. Then practice weaving in and out with those attacks, still keeping sure to keep your opponent at the tip of your range. This is Puff's biggest advantage in a majority (if not all) matchups in the game, so this is the most important thing to master.

L-Canceling
20xx has a super handy feature where you can tell it to flash white on successful l-cancels, and flash red on unsuccessful ones. If you don't l-cancel already, it'll feel pretty unnatural when you first start adding it to your play. Start by learning to SHFFL (short hop fast fall l-cancel) aerials to learn the timing for l-canceling. Basically just short hop, throw out a move, hold down, and hit L just before you hit the ground. Once you get the hang of that, practice it on a stationary opponent. Due to hitlag from hitting a character/shield, the timing will be slightly delayed from a regular SHFFL, so make sure to know the timings for both. After that, practice throwing in up-tilts (or any other move/action) right after the l-cancel, first on your own and then again with a stationary opponent. It takes a lot of practice to get used to at first, but it slowly start to become second nature once you get the hang of it.

Autocanceling
To be entirely honest, this is one of the things I know least about so if someone else wants to step in with more frame data knowledge than me/corrections to what I say, feel free. I'm pretty sure Puff's nair autocancels at like frame 29, so landing about half of a second after using it will make it autocancel. Take a look at the Puff frame data thread and it should have the timings for all of Puff's autocancels. With 20xx's l-cancel feature turned on, if you do it correctly then Puff will just land with no white/red flash at all. Really it's just a matter of memorizing the timing of the move's animation and knowing when to land.

Dair->Rest/Grab and Rollout to Ledge
Rollout to ledge is kind of more of a gimmick than a really helpful recovery option, I wouldn't really suggest using it at all. Yeah it looks cool, but if you mess it up then you kill yourself and if your opponent expects it they can just jump out and get hit by it and you're left helplessly falling to your death, a super easy edgeguard for a generally un-edeguardable character. Here's a video on it anyway though if you're still interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxry4EY9Gg

As for dair->rest, this one is much more useful but still a little hard to pull off. You're aiming for the last hit of dair to hit the opponent's bottom-most hurtbox, which is like under their feet. Hard to hit consistently, but still doable with practice. It's possible to do on every character, but how easy/hard it is depends on each one. Personally I find the most success on Fox/Marth, but it may be different for you. Going for a dair->grab is the much safer option (Hbox only does this, I've never seen him do dair->rest), since you pretty much will never miss the grab. Here's a video on dair->rest that explains the timings and percentages that it works on (it's the same for dair->grab too).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ynH7mqqF4

P.S. I'd suggest watc

AKIR4

Smash Rookie
NNID
aKiR4
If you don't have it already, I'd highly suggest figuring out how to install 20xx, since it's entirely designed around solo practice. It's much easier to learn and know when you're doing stuff right/wrong with the tools in it.

Spacing Aerials
Start by practicing on stationary opponents. Learn the ranges for your bair/fair and aim to hit the opponent with the tips of them for the best spacing. Then practice weaving in and out with those attacks, still keeping sure to keep your opponent at the tip of your range. This is Puff's biggest advantage in a majority (if not all) matchups in the game, so this is the most important thing to master.

L-Canceling
20xx has a super handy feature where you can tell it to flash white on successful l-cancels, and flash red on unsuccessful ones. If you don't l-cancel already, it'll feel pretty unnatural when you first start adding it to your play. Start by learning to SHFFL (short hop fast fall l-cancel) aerials to learn the timing for l-canceling. Basically just short hop, throw out a move, hold down, and hit L just before you hit the ground. Once you get the hang of that, practice it on a stationary opponent. Due to hitlag from hitting a character/shield, the timing will be slightly delayed from a regular SHFFL, so make sure to know the timings for both. After that, practice throwing in up-tilts (or any other move/action) right after the l-cancel, first on your own and then again with a stationary opponent. It takes a lot of practice to get used to at first, but it slowly start to become second nature once you get the hang of it.

Autocanceling
To be entirely honest, this is one of the things I know least about so if someone else wants to step in with more frame data knowledge than me/corrections to what I say, feel free. I'm pretty sure Puff's nair autocancels at like frame 29, so landing about half of a second after using it will make it autocancel. Take a look at the Puff frame data thread and it should have the timings for all of Puff's autocancels. With 20xx's l-cancel feature turned on, if you do it correctly then Puff will just land with no white/red flash at all. Really it's just a matter of memorizing the timing of the move's animation and knowing when to land.

Dair->Rest/Grab and Rollout to Ledge
Rollout to ledge is kind of more of a gimmick than a really helpful recovery option, I wouldn't really suggest using it at all. Yeah it looks cool, but if you mess it up then you kill yourself and if your opponent expects it they can just jump out and get hit by it and you're left helplessly falling to your death, a super easy edgeguard for a generally un-edeguardable character. Here's a video on it anyway though if you're still interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxry4EY9Gg

As for dair->rest, this one is much more useful but still a little hard to pull off. You're aiming for the last hit of dair to hit the opponent's bottom-most hurtbox, which is like under their feet. Hard to hit consistently, but still doable with practice. It's possible to do on every character, but how easy/hard it is depends on each one. Personally I find the most success on Fox/Marth, but it may be different for you. Going for a dair->grab is the much safer option (Hbox only does this, I've never seen him do dair->rest), since you pretty much will never miss the grab. Here's a video on dair->rest that explains the timings and percentages that it works on (it's the same for dair->grab too).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ynH7mqqF4

P.S. I'd suggest watc
I think your PS was cut short?

Trezz

Smash Cadet
I think your PS was cut short?
Oh lol oops, idk what happened there! I was just gonna suggest watching all the videos on the Jigglypuff Tutorials channel I linked since there are some other neat tricks to try practicing too!

AKIR4

Smash Rookie
NNID
aKiR4
Oh lol oops, idk what happened there! I was just gonna suggest watching all the videos on the Jigglypuff Tutorials channel I linked since there are some other neat tricks to try practicing too!
I have 20XX on my laptop, but I'd need to goto the store and get a SD to USB to put it on a wii, right? Would doing these things on the side on computer, then playing on console to apply them work? Or will I be dooming myself to poor timing?

Trezz

Smash Cadet
I have 20XX on my laptop, but I'd need to goto the store and get a SD to USB to put it on a wii, right? Would doing these things on the side on computer, then playing on console to apply them work? Or will I be dooming myself to poor timing?
I don't really see too much of an issue with it if your computer doesn't lag when it runs 20xx. If you're practicing with the keyboard then it might be a little weird applying your practice to a GC controller, so if you're worried about that then I'd just go the console route.

But yeah, the SD card is all you need to get it working on console! Took me maybe like 30 mins to an hour at most to set it all up, relatively easy and super worth it imo.

AKIR4

Smash Rookie
NNID
aKiR4
I have a GC controller adapter, so I'll use my computer until I manage to get it on a wii. My computer runs it very well too, 60 frames constant.

This is good, I was worried that using my computer would teach me bad habits, since it wasn't a tube tv. Thank you.

Top Bottom