• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JC Grab

LoneSalBug

Smash Rookie
Hi, I just started playing a couple of weeks ago and there is something I'd like some clarification on.

JC grabs from a dash are obviously better than regular grabs since you're not stuck in the laggy dash grab animation. Now, when I tried to learn JC grabs, I found out that if you shield then press A you pretty much do the same thing, as in you do your standing grab animation mid dash.
Personally I think this is really easy to pull off and there's pretty much no way you can mess this up, as opposed to a JC grab.
Which leads me to my question: Is there any difference between a JC grab and a (shield cancelled? idk what to call it) shield grab? What are the benefits of using one over the other?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
That's not quite true, actually. If you grab using shield and attack out of a dash, you'll do a dash grab, of course. But even if your shield comes up before you hit A, if you hit A on the first or second frames after the shield input, you'll still do a dash grab. If you hit A after 3 frames of shielding, you'll do a standing grab with a slight amount of slide.

So, yes, there is a difference, and there's no reason to do a shield grab over a JC grab - you lose distance and speed by shielding.

Shieldgrabbing is really useful as it's own thing, of course, but there's no reason to do what you've described over a JC grab out of something like a dashdance, because the 3 frames of shield offer no real benefit.

Fortress

Smash Master
Another type of grabbing you'll want to worry about is the Boost Grab. By pressing A on the controller and then Z at basically the same timing as JC grabbing, you'll cancel your dash attack and maintain the momentum (much the same as a DACUS), and perform a very long range dash grab. It nearly triples Sheik's grabbing range (it doesn't extend your actual grab boxes, it only thrusts your character very far forward in most cases), making this technique one to master and fold in with your grab options.

Top Bottom