• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan Reacts to Little Mac

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Check this out.

It's funny. I saw most of the same arguments about Marth and Roy.

fill

20EggsEggs
i just mentioned this in the rumor leak section and couldnt remember who posted it originally then i see you post it lol. it is funny tho how we follow different characters over the years

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder why. Maybe the Tyson branding of the NES game was more effective in the guy's home country.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It basically shows that people aren't that different, some people can see beyond their own bubble while others can't.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
wow I didn't realize little mac was THAT unknown in Japan, I guess this makes a bit more sense why we haven't seen him up until now... I'm still bitter he wasn't in brawl though...

still I hope his inclusion in smash will do for japan what marth and roy did for fire emblem here and maybe Punch-Out!! will actually be acknowledged by Nintendo from now on.

fill

20EggsEggs
wow I didn't realize little mac was THAT unknown in Japan, I guess this makes a bit more sense why we haven't seen him up until now... I'm still bitter he wasn't in brawl though...

still I hope his inclusion in smash will do for japan what marth and roy did for fire emblem here and maybe Punch-Out!! will actually be acknowledged by Nintendo from now on.
no hate on the punch out series, but i don't think it will get as big like FE did over here, it's more of a fun little game whereas FE has a story

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Did anyone in Japan ever play the 2009 Punch-Out!!? I'm quite surprised by some on these responses.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I laughed so hard at some of these.

"I’m not as mad as I am dumbfounded. These character choices are such a joke"
"The Punch-Out guy?"
"Sorry, but who is this?"
"Are they even taking these character rosters seriously?"

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
when it says japan's most wanted at the bottom, I instantly thought of someone other than captain rainbow when they said nick.

....I'm DEFINITELY playing too much ace attorney

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
That's a very interesting read. I wonder how they would react if Ridley got in. I assume the Japanese were pretty happy to see Mega Man? I wonder how they feel about the other newcomers.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I'm sure if or when Takamaru gets revealed, the reactions will be reversed. Everyone outside of Japan will be like "who?".

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Of course it was. "Mike Tysons Punch Out". The **** could give two craps who Mike Tyson is.

edit( lol why is the shortened term of Japanese to ***-s a curse word?)
The term was a negative term used to describe the Japaneses back during World War II. It lingered after the war and became kind a racist term. Similar to other less savory terms.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, that's not at all surprising.

When we see Takamaru confirmed, everywhere but here is going to be full of "What? WHO!!? The Nintendo-Land...thing?"

Sounds about right. Poor Mac. It's alright though, we love you more than they love Takamaru. (Who knows, some of us probably love Takamaru more than they do.)

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Takamaru confirmed?
"He’s from Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out, right? Only middle-aged guys like me would know him" xD

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It's hilarious how there are comments about "Who the **** is this?" and "Such a joke" and etc. and then there's that ****ing hilariously horrid "most wanted list" at the bottom.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Bunch of babies...

Mac is an awesome Nintendo All-Star and fully deserving of a slot.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's hilarious how there are comments about "Who the **** is this?" and "Such a joke" and etc. and then there's that ****ing hilariously horrid "most wanted list" at the bottom.
Yep. I'm sure that's not literally the "most wanted" in some respects and that the findings are a bit skewed, but the fact that they found enough instances of Daisy popping up, and also Monster Hunter. Are you ****ing kidding me?

It's alright though. Most of us had the same reactions to Marth and Roy (although I was frankly more upset by Pichu...), and I expect more outrage from them if a certain purple space dragon joins the fray, for which we will laugh.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The term was a negative term used to describe the Japaneses back during World War II. It lingered after the war and became kind a racist term. Similar to other less savory terms.
Oh man. I remember learning about that in class. Funny thing is, pretty much the entire class rolled with it and started calling each other 1-2 syllable short names for their nationality/race for laughs all that day. It was more entertaining because we had a pretty diverse classroom. Twas a fun day.

OT: I'm not surprised that very few people knew about Little Mac. Still, that list of characters that are apparently popular in Japan is cringeworthy.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
To be fair I would only take so much stock in the list. Even the author stated

"From an extremely quick look, I see some of the most-wanted are: <List removed> But that’s just from one poll I’ve found and shouldn’t be considered indicative of all Japanese fans."

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
"Ooooohhhh! That Little Mac! Yeah, we know him. He looks good--lost weight or something?"
...Assuming anyone played Captain Rainbow ever.

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else wonder if the Japanese do the same thing to us, like "hey guys took a quick sample lol those crazy Americans want King K. Roll and Ridley we Japanese know where it's at with Daisy and Captain Rainbow"

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Anyone else wonder if the Japanese do the same thing to us, like "hey guys took a quick sample lol those crazy Americans want King K. Roll and Ridley we Japanese know where it's at with Daisy and Captain Rainbow"
Too bad Captain Rainbow is actually an awesome choice. (Along with k. Rool and Ridley of course! :awesome:)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
But K. Rool is popular with the Japanese as well! It may not have been on the site, but it's true.

Captain Rainbow is an excellent choice, however.

Daisy...welll....no. However, we get just as many requests over HERE for Shadow and Goku, so...

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
*Takamaru gets confirmed*

Japan: IN YO FACE AMERICA WE JUST GOT OUR CHARACTER.

*Paper Mario, Captain Rainbow, and Monster Hunter get confirmed*

*Half of the Japan population dies of happiness.*

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
Honestly he seems to have the same standing as Captain Falcon. "Basically, if you wanna know who this is, you gotta buy Smash Bros.?"

Most of my friends don't know where Captain Falcon comes from, just that he's in Smash Bros.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
I have a Japanese roommate who had no clue what Punch-Out!! even was

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Funny that people here think the Japanese not knowing who Little Mac is or otherwise reacting poorly to him is silly, then calling their most-requested characters "ridiculous".

Kind of like looking in a mirror, isn't it?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
"Are they even taking these character rosters seriously?"

This comment takes the cake for me.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
That would be Takamura, but I get why it's easy to mix the names up. :p
It's too bad we already have a boxing-themed character in the game (plus Takamura isn't even Nintendo) because this would be hilarious. I can just imagine the taunts now.... and his throw would be wrapping the opponent in a training mat and suplexing them after.

Which reminds me, what is Little Mac's throw going to be anyway? Unless it's a clinch or something...

Top Bottom