• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

James McCloud Support [Star Fox]

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman

James McCloud
(third topic: more detailed and descriptive, approved by mods)​

Nintendopedia.org said:
James McCloud is a fictional character from the Star Fox series. He is the father of Fox McCloud and the founder of the Star Fox team. He was betrayed by Pigma Dengar and captured and thought to be killed by the evil Andross. Peppy Hare informed James's son about his fate; however, it is debatable whether or not James is truly dead.

He was mentioned twice in the original Star Fox, although not by name. In the briefing before going into the Black Hole, General Pepper mentions that the Black Hole was where Fox's father disappeared. Andross says that Fox's father was a reckless fighter, but this dialogue appears only on the highest difficulty level.

Until Star Fox 64, Fox McCloud's father was not called "James." Some references, such as the comic adaptation published in Nintendo Power, called him "Fox McCloud, Sr."

James makes minor appearances in subsequent games. In Star Fox Adventures, four of the Cheat Tokens present messages to Fox, and at least one of them are words of encouragement directly from James himself. Whether or not he wrote the other messages is unknown, but they do relate to ubjects to Fox, like Andross and saying goodbye to close friends. James also "appears" in Star Fox: Assault. Towards the end, he and some other characters are heard talking, their faces identified in the Comm, thought to be assimilated by the Aparoids. In reality, it's just the Aparoid Queen using the voices to trick Fox.

The unreleased Star Fox 2 is the only Star Fox game not to ever mention James at all.

At the end of Star Fox 64 (depending on if the player fought at Area 6 or Bolse) James helps Fox escape the planet Venom, but then disappears soon afterwards when Fox returns to the Great Fox after the battle with Andross. James is presumed dead, and no one, not even Fox, is quite sure how he guided his son out. Some people think that Fox had some sort of vision of James' "ghost" while others may believe that James might have been able to actually escape Andross. The exact nature of James' fate is left a complete mystery, but if one watches the closing cutscene closely, a point of light can be seen moving very much against the other background stars, leaving the player to wonder if that was James' Arwing flying off somewhere. James is similar in appearance to Fox, but wears sunglasses, and has slightly darker fur. The two also appear to be wearing the same clothes in this game. In Japanese, he is voiced by Tomohisa Aso, who also voices Peppy Hare.
Here are some things that I would like to mention before further discussion of James:

• This is not the F-Zero James McCloud, if you couldn't tell by the picture already.
  • He would not be a clone, it's confirmed that there are no clones in Brawl.
  • He would be more than a "Fox with sunglasses".
  • Having too many Star Fox reps is not a bad thing, we all have our own opinions.
  • It is not known if James is alive or not, there is no mention of it. However, in Star Fox 64, James McCloud leads his son out of various tunnels to avoid death from chasing flames. Opinions are different still, as some people think it is just the spirit of James.
I'm one of the people who lean more to Star Fox more than most other Nintendo games, so I personally think that it'd be awesome to have James make a sudden appearance in Brawl. As for his look, since most of the characters are getting their new designs from games they've recently starred in, I think he should have the same look as in the picture above (of course re-done to give it a more professional 3D outcome).

Not another critter with a blaster! Let's get more original, put in Krystal or Andross or something... just not another blaster-user.
This thread is for James, so please don't start getting into a dramatic conversation / argument about other Star Fox characters. As for the blaster: if it need be, I'd take out Falco or Wolf any day to put in James. Plus, his moves could be worked with, and could be altered. Now to get into the moveset(s).

If you would like me to add any of your movesets, or any other information on this page, either say so here or send me a PM! I'll credit you for your info, just be full in what you give me!

Moveset (1):

Stats:
Power: High
Weight: High
Speed: Poor
Throw: Poor
Range: Medium
Recovery: Average

A Button:

A: Left Punch
Description: A quick jab from the left arm.
Damage: 4%
Lag: A very quick combo to perform.
Range: Short

A + A: Left + Right Punch
Description: A quick jab from the left arm, followed by the right.
Damage: 8%
Lag: A very quick combo to perform.

A + A + A Left + Right Punch + Spin Kick
Description: A quick jab from the left arm, followed by the right, then comes a powerful spinning kick!
Damage: 13%
Lag: Start up lag from the Spin Kick slows it down.

Tilts:

fA: Simple Kick
Description: A 'simple kick' which heads straight out.
Lag: A quick move to perform.

dA: Short Blow
Description: A powerful low punch, performed after crouching.
Damage: 15%
Lag: Start up lag from the Short Blow slows it down. Ending lag leaves vulnerability

uA: Sky Reach
Description: A swift punch upward, fast and delicate.
Damage: 10%
Lag: A very quick move to perform.

Smash:

fA: "POW!!"
Description: A powerful blow from the fist.
Damage: 20%
Lag: Start up lag from "POW!!" slows it down.

dA: Ground Kick
Description: An astonishing kick, positioned in the air, and forced down toward the ground. That'll leave a mark!
Lag: A steady move to perform.

uA: Anti-Blast
Description: The gun of James can be of many uses! A swift and powerful swipe toward the sky, using the back of his gun, as the deliverer!
Lag: Start up lag from Anti-Blast slows it down.

Dash + A

fA: Head Missle
Description: James races his skull toward any opponent. That'll leave a mark!

Air Combat:

fair: Elbow Spike
Description: A stunning attack that will send you straight down if performed correctly! James digs his elbow into the enemy!

bair: Blast!
Description: James uses his gun in mid-air, points it behind him, and fires!
Lag: Start up lag from Blast! slows it down.
Range: Far

dair: Playing with Bombs
Description: A bomb is thrown straight down, and will explode the very moment it collides with any object (ground, opponents, you name it!).

uair: Twice as Much!
Description: James falls back while in midair, and takes out a second gun. Followed by a single blast from each gun toward the heavens.
Damage: 7% (for each shot)
Lag: Start up lag from Twice as Much! slows it down.

B Button:

B: Charged is Better
Description: A gun is drawn from Jame's holster, but does not fire right away. The gun is set to automatic charge, and you can't store it in your gun for later! It releases when it's fully charged, or at your specific time of it's charging.
Damage: 30%
Lag: Charging lag slows it down.

fB: Swift Knee
Description: James runs a distance in front of him, and knees the first object in his path in the gut.
Lag: Start up lag from Swift Knee slows it down.

dB: Bombs Away!
Description: More bombs from James, only this one acts as a motion sensor. When planted, hurry to get out of the way, it might just explode on you!
Damage: 5%

uB: "Use the boost!"
Description: Boost jets come out of the bottom of Jame's shoes. A very hard third jump to controll, so be careful!
Damage: 0%

Throws:

fThrow: Like Father Like Son
Description: Basically, Fox's fThrow. Only a little less powerful.
Damage: 5%

dThrow: Ground Pound
Description: James grabs the opponent, and slams them into the ground.
Damage: 6%

bThrow: Back Kick
Description: James throws the enemy behind him, and kick him with his back leg.
Damage: 7%

uThrow: Stick
Description: James throws the enemy above him, and attempts to stick a grenade on them. This move is easy to dodge, but if sticked to, be aware of the consequences!

Other:

Final Smash: Old School
Description: James calls his old team to come to his aid. Peppy and Pigma come in arwings, and blast all other players on the field. With voice commentary of the team, of course.
Damage: 30%

Taunt: "Cool"
Description: James takes off his shades, cleans them a little, and places them back on. After, poses like a "cool guy" does.

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
It woulld be a cool idea yes, but James is dead, & dead ppl can't fight, he just shows up as a ghost to help Fox.

EDIT: numa dude you're just asking for trouble there.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Any one who thinks that James should be more than just a costume change of Fox needs to be shot in the head with a bazooka.
That's blasphemy!! :)
James is probably the more original suggestion, Wofl and (especially) Krystal, are overrated.

It woulld be a cool idea yes, but James is dead, & dead ppl can't fight, he just shows up as a ghost to help Fox.

EDIT: numa dude you're just asking for trouble there.
I honestly have no clue if that's true or not, do you have any solid confirmation?
Besides, since when did anything from Smash ever make sense? :p

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
How are Wolf and Krystal overrated, but James McCloud isn't?
Not so much Wolf as Krystal, is what I was trying to say.
I would not mind if Wolf was in the game, but if it came down to one or the other, I'd choose James. As said in the post above (if you even read it), I lean more toward the Star Fox series, so I think it'd be a cool idea. :)

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
[*]He would not be a clone, it's confirmed that there are no clones in Brawl.
This hasn't been confirmed as far as I know, just a lot of people assuming. Granted clones are unfavourable, but we don't know if there aren't going to be any this time.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
This hasn't been confirmed as far as I know, just a lot of people assuming. Granted clones are unfavourable, but we don't know if there aren't going to be any this time.
I thought it was confirmed? Sakurai himself said something about making no clones in Brawl. At least, that's the information that I got.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I think he mentioned that the clone characters in melee are getting revamped, and because clones are really a last minute addition he'd clearly rather not include any more, but I don't think he's actually stated outright that there are definitely no clones this time.

Still, I'm sure James can be given a unique moveset if they put their minds to it anyway, so it's moot really.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
I think he mentioned that the clone characters in melee are getting revamped, and because clones are really a last minute addition he'd clearly rather not include any more, but I don't think he's actually stated outright that there are definitely no clones this time.

Still, I'm sure James can be given a unique moveset if they put their minds to it anyway, so it's moot really.
That's the info that I got too, everyone jumps to conclusions... for example, myself.
I think that his moveset could be original, as you said, if they just put their minds to it.
Although, there isn't much info to base the moves with on this guy, so it'd all have to be new basically. Like my moveset I posted in the first post.

burrito

Smash Lord
Right...... no.

James IS a Fox with sunglasses, he has nothing unique to offer to brawl. He's not very popular, either.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Call me crazy, but I'd actually like to see this...except...the other James. The F-Zero guy who is based off of the StarFox one. I've always wanted to include the guy who connects Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud.

On second thought...maybe not.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Right...... no.

James IS a Fox with sunglasses, he has nothing unique to offer to brawl. He's not very popular, either.
Falco was a clone of Fox in Melee, yet he proved unique and useful in many ways. James could be the same, and he can offer much potential for Brawl.

Call me crazy, but I'd actually like to see this...except...the other James. The F-Zero guy who is based off of the StarFox one. I've always wanted to include the guy who connects Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud.

On second thought...maybe not.
I'd rather prefer James McCloud (SF) than that guy, if anyone comes from F-Zero it's gotta be Samurai Goroh. And Burrito, since when did popularity matter? G&W wasn't popular until he starred in Brawl. James is already popular as it is, to Star Fox fans at least.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Eh. I can't honestly see any reason to support this... everything in the SF games points to the fact that James and Fox are meant to be very, very similar. That's kind of the entire point of James' existance, to be backstory for Fox's motivation and his hero. James just really isn't even a character, just a story.
So... giving him a unique moveset just doesn't make sense. He and Fox practically ARE the same person. That's the point, and there really doesn't seem to be any reason why he would be anything but an alternate costume.

burrito

Smash Lord
Falco was a clone of Fox in Melee, yet he proved unique and useful in many ways. James could be the same, and he can offer much potential for Brawl.
Falco was a Falcon.... and a different character. He has a major presence throughout the Starfox games.

I'd rather prefer James McCloud (SF) than that guy, if anyone comes from F-Zero it's gotta be Samurai Goroh. And Burrito, since when did popularity matter? G&W wasn't popular until he starred in Brawl. James is already popular as it is, to Star Fox fans at least.
The way I see it, there are 3 points to consider when selecting a character for Brawl: Popularity, Importance to Nintendo/ it's franchise, and uniqueness.

Fox Mcloud:
Popular? Maybe, mildly.
Important? No.
Unique? DEFINITELY NOT.

Game & Watch:
Popular? No.
Important? Yes, Game & Watch is definitely an important part of nintendo.
Unique? Most definitely.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure James Mcloud would be a wonderful addition to Brawl if he wasn't...well...dead.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Eh. I can't honestly see any reason to support this... everything in the SF games points to the fact that James and Fox are meant to be very, very similar. That's kind of the entire point of James' existance, to be backstory for Fox's motivation and his hero. James just really isn't even a character, just a story.
So... giving him a unique moveset just doesn't make sense. He and Fox practically ARE the same person. That's the point, and there really doesn't seem to be any reason why he would be anything but an alternate costume.
"You're becoming more like your father" --Peppy

(see StarFox link is sig)

burrito

Smash Lord
How do you not see a space fox, using blasters and bombs, etc. unique?
There is already a space fox. Plus, blasters and bombs would have to be part of a made up moveset for James. A moveset that could easily be given to any other character...

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
There is already a space fox. Plus, blasters and bombs would have to be part of a made up moveset for James. A moveset that could easily be given to any other character...
The fact that there's another space fox doesn't mean it's not unique still.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
The fact that there's another space fox doesn't mean it's not unique still.
I'm pretty sure that's the definition of unique.

Also, if they're going to make up a completely new moveset for someone like that...it'll be Falco. Considering...pretty much everyone wants him back. (With the exception of those haters who never played SF64...)

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
I meant it as in, he could still be a space critter, but still be unique.
Anything can be unique is what I'm trying to imply.

burrito

Smash Lord
I'm talking about a characters current unique-ness not how they "make it" unique. James being not unique means he could be easily replaced by any other characters. So, they will pick a character that is important/ popular and more unique.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Well uhm... you know James is Fox.. just with Sunglasses... so no.

"How do you not see a space fox, using blasters and bombs, etc. unique?"

Yes. it is, and he's already in the game, his name is Fox.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
NO, NO DO NOT, PLEASE, NO NOT PUT JAMES IN BRAWL!

I like starfox alot, to the point where I support all chars there 100% in brawl. BUT james CANNOT be in brawl!

it's bad enough he made an appearance in Command. he should remain an unknown legend, mabey makes a small ship appearance once in a while in the black hole (like in Starfox 64). I would just absoltely hate for james to be in brawl.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
I'd be ok with this if Brawl had 100+ characters. With maximum 40 character slots available, James is a waste of space. Why not add the option for Fox to wear sunglasses instead ? It would be the same as having James. Sorry but it's a big no.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong I love Starfox (well, the first two...assault was medicore and ground missions were poop) But thats like adding Daisy or Toadette as a new character. Just slap some shades on Fox a tadah there he is.

Wolf is a better choice because, he isn't Fox with glasses on and scores point with me for: being a villian, being in the series longer than others such a Krystal, and by being a bad*** mofo.

Krystal scores point because: staff + magic + phyche = nice move set, female, and seems popular, but she also loses point because all the games she appeared in were kind of sub-par.

right now I lean more towards wolf

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Haha, got it ;)
James is obviously a bad suggestion.
There's something about him that makes me want him in Brawl as him own character.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@DSB the max is 50
@creator of thread (too lazy to check)
as much as i like james, there are too many other star fox characters who need to be in before him. (krystal, wolf, and even slippy and peppy)
maybe in smash bros 7.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
@DSB the max is 50
@creator of thread (too lazy to check)
as much as i like james, there are too many other star fox characters who need to be in before him. (krystal, wolf, and even slippy and peppy)
maybe in smash bros 7.
Wofl and Krystal I can understand, but Peppy and James are at the same level. Slippy is just pure... eh. "Non smash material"?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i actually don't want slippy in, but he is part of team star fox and the whole team will be added before james, and peppy is on the team too. wolf is a villain, ind i believe he will be in brawl, hopefully alongside krystal, fox, and falco.

Top Bottom