• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request Jab Reset limit and different get-up animation

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
In Melee, you can get multiple Jab Resets out of a multihit move, but you can SDI to nullify the effect so it's technically kind of useless to Jab Reset at all if your opponent is literally perfect and SDIs every single Jab Reset perfectly.

I'm asking for a code that limits how many times you can Jab Reset someone with a weak attack. It's set to two in Smash Ultimate. The next time you do it, it forces the opponent to get up. I also want this code to make the force get-up animation use the missed tech animation instead to allow attacks that hit high up to connect better without having to wait for the opponent to be standing during the Jab Reset animation. Removing the invincibility would be good as well, if possible.

Punkline Punkline All I know is you've worked on Jab Resets before, so maybe you can look into this.

Last edited:

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Stormghetti Stormghetti - You want the mechanic to better resemble modern smash games, right?

I was looking into this a couple of weeks ago, and ran into some trouble getting the wake-up state to become the “missed tech” bounce because it counts as a downed state. This essentially causes the opponent to not automatically “wake up”, and just go back down. In addition to the state not resolving, using the missed tech bounce as the reset animation looks rather strange, since the opponent first comes to a rest on the ground.

To quickly break it down, there are basically 3 points of interest in the state machine:
  • The weak attack (a check when attacking a downed opponent)
  • The flinch animation (a procedural action state change caused by the weak attack condition)
  • The reset animation (an action state change caused by landing on ground after weak attack)

I was able to get something remarkably similar to the “lock” mechanic introduced in Brawl onward by using the missed tech bounce as a flinch animation for being hit on the ground from a weak attack. It seems possible to modify the animation interrupt to allow for a reset after landing from the bounce. This has very interesting properties because of the fact that this bounce animation is technically a grounded state -- so you can’t SDI up or down to escape the animation penalty, only left or right to escape the attacker.

Here’s a very simple proof of concept that just enables this effect, for infinite locking:
Rich (BB code):
-==- 

Jab Lock PoC 1 
[Punkline] 
NTSC 1.02 --- 8009f1b4 ---- 7c040378 -> 3080FFFE 
# unlimited lock replaces jab reset mechanic, for testing 
# 
This concept code does not reset on landing, but it will give you an idea of what I mean about the lock state:

My understanding is that Smash games beyond Brawl just add the reset after 2 or 3 consecutive locks, correct? (I don’t currently have Smash 4 or Ultimate to test this.)

If I added some counter memory to the state machine or something to achieve this wakeup to prevent infinite locks, would this be a suitable solution for your request? Any action that results in standing could technically be used for the reset, if you wanted to use something besides the stand-up animation.

Edit - Alternatively, the "reset" could be implemented by negating the "weak attack" trigger after the lock countdown has expired. This would then cause consecutive locks past the limit to behave like regular attacks; causing the opponent to be knocked into the air in a way they can react if the knockback is weak enough.

---

I’m currently working on a number of codes and utilities, but one of them will help me write codes that intercept action state transition arguments in a way that would also allow for the wakeup reset to ignore subaction event data -- allowing for skipping the invincibility, and potentially adding a custom visual or audio cue for the reset, lock, or weak attack.

If these are things you would be interested in, then I could add them soon as features to my jab reset config code -- which would then let you further customize the threshold of a “weak attack” to include knockback sensitivity.

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Stormghetti Stormghetti - You want the mechanic to better resemble modern smash games, right?

I was looking into this a couple of weeks ago, and ran into some trouble getting the wake-up state to become the “missed tech” bounce because it counts as a downed state. This essentially causes the opponent to not automatically “wake up”, and just go back down. In addition to the state not resolving, using the missed tech bounce as the reset animation looks rather strange, since the opponent first comes to a rest on the ground.

To quickly break it down, there are basically 3 points of interest in the state machine:
  • The weak attack (a check when attacking a downed opponent)
  • The flinch animation (a procedural action state change caused by the weak attack condition)
  • The reset animation (an action state change caused by landing on ground after weak attack)

I was able to get something remarkably similar to the “lock” mechanic introduced in Brawl onward by using the missed tech bounce as a flinch animation for being hit on the ground from a weak attack. It seems possible to modify the animation interrupt to allow for a reset after landing from the bounce. This has very interesting properties because of the fact that this bounce animation is technically a grounded state -- so you can’t SDI up or down to escape the animation penalty, only left or right to escape the attacker.

Here’s a very simple proof of concept that just enables this effect, for infinite locking:
Rich (BB code):
-==- 

Jab Lock PoC 1 
[Punkline] 
NTSC 1.02 --- 8009f1b4 ---- 7c040378 -> 3080FFFE 
# unlimited lock replaces jab reset mechanic, for testing 
# 
This concept code does not reset on landing, but it will give you an idea of what I mean about the lock state:

My understanding is that Smash games beyond Brawl just add the reset after 2 or 3 consecutive locks, correct? (I don’t currently have Smash 4 or Ultimate to test this.)

If I added some counter memory to the state machine or something to achieve this wakeup to prevent infinite locks, would this be a suitable solution for your request? Any action that results in standing could technically be used for the reset, if you wanted to use something besides the stand-up animation.

Edit - Alternatively, the "reset" could be implemented by negating the "weak attack" trigger after the lock countdown has expired. This would then cause consecutive locks past the limit to behave like regular attacks; causing the opponent to be knocked into the air in a way they can react if the knockback is weak enough.

---

I’m currently working on a number of codes and utilities, but one of them will help me write codes that intercept action state transition arguments in a way that would also allow for the wakeup reset to ignore subaction event data -- allowing for skipping the invincibility, and potentially adding a custom visual or audio cue for the reset, lock, or weak attack.

If these are things you would be interested in, then I could add them soon as features to my jab reset config code -- which would then let you further customize the threshold of a “weak attack” to include knockback sensitivity.
Incredible as always. Yeah, no infinite locks, of course.

Yes, I believe adding features like these to your Jab Reset config code would be the best option.

Top Bottom