• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Lock Setups *Footstool combo, REVERSE N-AIR > PIVOT SLIDE* UPDATE!

4Serial

Smash Lord
Every character has one now lol

u-tilt/d-throw > footstool > fastfalled n-air? > jab lock > f-smash/d-air

You'd probably have to time the n-air a bit since it doesn't last as long as it did in melee, but it should work. I think that a really well-timed f-air could work too if you somehow manage to get the first hit on the while they're on the ground. This could work really well for Link because:
1) His jumps aren't amazing, so his footstool jump might not go so high
2) His fast fall is really fast... we need to find SOME good in it.
Combining those 2 make his footstool comboing potential a lot better since it makes them seem a lot faster and there won't be a big window for the opponent to escape from them.

The only thing is that his setups for these are really limited and seem hard to do. Needs more ideas.

UPDATE:
okay, after some testing, LINK DOES HAVE A FOOTSTOOL COMBO!

It's easy enough to set up as well.
I was testing against a Marth and a Link in training mode.
At 20% do a
jab, 2nd jab, u-tilt > footstool > fastfalled n-air > jab lock
finish it with a charged f-smash or d-air or charged scrraahhh or something.

You can just do a u-tilt at around 30%, but the jabs do about 7 or 8% damage and they make it more unexpected and easier to set up for the u-tilt. The height they get when getting hit by the u-tilt is REALLY low but just enough to get in the footstool. The n-air WILL lock them so you can continue with the jab lock. You have to get the n-air in at below 40% or it will hit them up and not lock them.

Another variation is jab, 2nd jab, u-tilt > footstool > d-air which works around.. 40-50%? Might go higher than that, but the jab lock will put up more percent and you have more chances of killing them. A d-air won't kill from 60%-ish. It's a lot harder to do, but the jab lock is really worth learning.
UPDATE2:
So I did some experimenting. Getting the footstool after the u-tilt is extremely hard to do if they DI, air-dodge, attack, etc. Really wish there would be at least SOME hitstun in this game. Anyways, try finding any openings in your opponents air game and footstool them. U-tilt COULD work but it's difficult.

REVERSE N-AIR > JAB LOCK
Similar to King's reverse n-air > rest or Mango's n-air to f-smash or Mango Combo with Jiggs in Melee. You hit with reverse n-air at 70% (tested on Metaknight) and it will knock them on the ground (assuming they don't tech it). Why does it have to be reverse? The n-air hits them a bit too horizontal to get to them fast enough and jab lock them. Using Link's weird pivot physics, he will slide a good distance as you turn (TILT the control stick so you don't run) towards them and you can jab lock them!
So it's basically (70%) reverse n-air > pivot slide > jab lock. REALLY simple.
(BTW, I'm calling it the "Pivot Slide" because "Craq Walking" sounds ********.)

Oh I just did something else pretty cool. Metaknight at 90%, reverse n-air > pivot slide > f-smash. I think it works from like 80-100%. It will kill at 100% if you're really close to the edge. I've gotten it to work at 110%. You can probably do reverse n-air > pivot slide > d-smash, u-smash, f-tilt, pretty much anything. If it wasn't for brawl's stupid edges, I'm you could easily do a d-tilt spike with this. It's probably possible though. ;D

tl;dr - Reverse n-air > pivot slide is AMAZING.

Yeah, I changed the title to Jab lock setups instead of just footstool combos, so I didn't have to go and make another thread for this.

I'll be getting a video capturing device soon and will put up vids later on unless others do it.
Percentages on all of the different characters coming soon.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
foot stool comboing...sounds catchy if you ask me. I heard about this not too long ago, after a foot stool, i think Link can pull out a bomb. Or dair after Footstool, considering its priority. Both of those dont lead into a jab lock thou. Nair sounds good for that. Can't you control how far up you go with footstool? Like how you time the jump makes you footstool a certain height?

4Serial

Smash Lord

At 20% do a

You can just do a u-tilt at around 30%, but the jabs do about 7 or 8% damage and they make it more unexpected and easier to set up for the u-tilt. The height they get when getting hit by the u-tilt is REALLY low but just enough to get in the footstool. The n-air WILL lock them so you can continue with the jab lock. You have to get the n-air in at below 40% or it will hit them up and not lock them.

Another variation is jab, 2nd jab, u-tilt > footstool > d-air which works around.. 40-50%? Might go higher than that, but the jab lock will put up more percent and you have more chances of killing them. A d-air won't kill from 60%-ish. It's a lot harder to do, but the jab lock is really worth learning.

And no, you cannot control the height of the footstool jump.. I'm beginning to believe that the footstool has a set jump height for all of the characters.

4Serial

Smash Lord
Holding it will not work. Tapping it a million times might work better, but it isn't impossible to actually time it.
Every character can footstool on someone on after another up to 5 times, but the 5th one is extremely hard to get in unless you're really mashing the jump button.

actually, that might be true..
I've been getting different distances on the footstool jump.

more info:
-Marth is really hard to get this on for some reason.
-you can get this on jiggs at 0%! but she goes too high from the u-tilt at 15-20%. Do the jab lock up to 66% and kill her with a good d-air.
-It's fun doing this on TL.
-oh, and i forgot to mention earlier d-throw will not set you up in the position to footstool. It makes them go too far to the side.
-if you're too far from them to fastfall an n-air after the footstool, an arrow will lock them!

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady

At 20% do a

And no, you cannot control the height of the footstool jump.. I'm beginning to believe that the footstool has a set jump height for all of the characters.
are you saying that the nair trips them? or it is just a extra hit or something.
On to the topic, can any of these footstool combos kill?
Or it doesnt cause of when you have to do it (20% in Link's case). Anyway
this sounds awesome for link, because his jab is now useful for three things:
-jab, jab (whatever you want to do) combo
-jab lock
-footstool combo setup

Link is getting better everyday imo.

D

Deleted member

are you saying that the nair trips them? or it is just a extra hit or something.
On to the topic, can any of these footstool combos kill?
Or it doesnt cause of when you have to do it (20% in Link's case). Anyway
this sounds awesome for link, because his jab is now useful for three things:
-jab, jab (whatever you want to do) combo
-jab lock
-footstool combo setup

Link is getting better everyday imo.
the nair keeps them from getting out of "fake hitstun"

it also has a knock down effect like the gb

Link isnt getting better, Link players are getting better

4Serial

Smash Lord
Yes, footstool combos do have killing potential.
Just spam a bit and hit em up to around 20%, depending on the character weight (light characters start under 20% probably 10ish%, midweights are closest to 20%, heavyweights are probably around 25%).
From there, do the jab cancels which do about 7-8%, do a u-tilt that does like 15%, fast fall n-air that does like 6%, and jab locks.
From there, they're already at about 50%. If you can keep up the jab lock, (about 4% per jab) and finish it properly with a f-smash or d-air as stated above, you could probably kill about EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME just from this.

The n-air is very important for this to work. When you footstool them and they hit the ground, there's a window for them to roll, get up, or attack from the ground. The fast falled n-air will hit them and lock them like another footstool. The jabs in the jab lock do the same effect.

There's some videos of Kirby and Sheiks footstool/jab lock combos on youtube, which is where i got this idea from. Sheik locks them with a fastfalled reverse b-air and locks with needles. Kirby does with a fastfalled n-air > d-tilt > jab locks. I think that every character in the game might have this, but I want Link to be one of the firsts to be discovered :p

4Serial

Smash Lord
What? <_<
It would be difficult to set up.
First of all, having a bomb in hand wouldn't allow you to do the up-tilt for an easier set up for the footstool.
Then you put in the effort to footstool the person and probably got yourself some damage on the way.
And you're just gonna toss a bomb at them, and maybe d-air <_< That's been discussed in another thread laying around here somewhere...

4Serial

Smash Lord
found something new lol =]

So I did some experimenting. Getting the footstool after the u-tilt is extremely hard to do if they DI, air-dodge, attack, etc. Really wish there would be at least SOME hitstun in this game. Anyways, try finding any openings in your opponents air game and footstool them. U-tilt COULD work but it's difficult.

REVERSE N-AIR > JAB LOCK
Similar to King's reverse n-air > rest or Mango's n-air to f-smash or Mango Combo with Jiggs in Melee. You hit with reverse n-air at 70% (tested on Metaknight) and it will knock them on the ground (assuming they don't tech it). Why does it have to be reverse? The n-air hits them a bit too horizontal to get to them fast enough and jab lock them. Using Link's weird pivot physics, he will slide a good distance as you turn (TILT the control stick so you don't run) towards them and you can jab lock them!
So it's basically (70%) reverse n-air > pivot slide > jab lock. REALLY simple.
(BTW, I'm calling it the "Pivot Slide" because "Craq Walking" sounds ********.)

Oh I just did something else pretty cool. Metaknight at 90%, reverse n-air > pivot slide > f-smash. I think it works from like 80-100%. It will kill at 100% if you're really close to the edge. I've gotten it to work at 110%. You can probably do reverse n-air > pivot slide > d-smash, u-smash, f-tilt, pretty much anything. If it wasn't for brawl's stupid edges, I'm you could easily do a d-tilt spike with this. It's probably possible though. ;D

tl;dr - Reverse n-air > pivot slide is AMAZING.

cheers, link boards!

Top Bottom