• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Lock Fail

tnt_boom

Smash Rookie
Im currently practicing jablocks and when i do the 3 jab. It seems the opponent can either roll or grtup attack... I do it at the good timing and it happen to me rach time ? Someone can tell me why ?

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Either you wait too long, or you're too far away.
Just keep the :GCA: pressed long enough for 3 jabs to come out fast, it won't mess up the reset and you won't let the opponent get up.
But don't keep it pressed too long, or you'll jab 3+ times and put the opponent out of the jab reset situation

Zoom!

Smash Cadet
Either you wait too long, or you're too far away.
Just keep the :GCA: pressed long enough for 3 jabs to come out fast, it won't mess up the reset and you won't let the opponent get up.
But don't keep it pressed too long, or you'll jab 3+ times and put the opponent out of the jab reset situation
This has actually happened to me a few times and when it happened I didn't do anything different than usual. You don't have to hold A you can do individual jabs, and when I do the forward throw set up and one dash, I end up next to my opponent so spacing isn't an issue, yet sometimes for no rhyme or reason, my opponent can roll out of the third lock

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
If they're able to pick a getup option instead of being forced to stand, you aren't hitting the first jab quickly enough.

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
This has actually happened to me a few times and when it happened I didn't do anything different than usual. You don't have to hold A you can do individual jabs, and when I do the forward throw set up and one dash, I end up next to my opponent so spacing isn't an issue, yet sometimes for no rhyme or reason, my opponent can roll out of the third lock
I know, I was just pointing out that it could be an option if you usually mess up the timing.
A few frames late can be enough to let your opponent get out of the reset. So yeah, I personnally never had that issue, if always worked fine (except on Lylat, where the tilted platforms can mess you up), but the usual problem for issues like this is timing or spacing.

Last edited:

tnt_boom

Smash Rookie
Wow. I never tought it was because I did it too late. Because the behavior of the animation looked like I pulled it off with success. Thx guys

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Wow. I never tought it was because I did it too late. Because the behavior of the animation looked like I pulled it off with success. Thx guys
Yeah it can be tricky.
Just do it in Training Mode and you'll see. If it's successfully done, the other character with immediately get up after the reset with an invincibility animation (looks like he's flashing).
If not, it'll look the same during the jabs, but if the other char stays on the ground, that means he could have rolled, or getup attack, etc

Top Bottom