• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've grabbed him. Now what?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Are any of Ike's throws good? I've tried throwing level 9 CPUs, and all of his throws seem to have stupidly short hitstun (like everything else in Brawl). The only thing that his throws seem to be good for is repositioning your opponent so you can re-orient yourself, but other than that, his throws seem limited in use. UThrow/DThrow -> Aether does not work if they DI or airdodge/jump as soon as possible, let alone UThrow/DThrow -> UAir/UTilt.

DuB 22

Smash Cadet
Yeah...I always go with D Throw against those who can't DI good so i can U-air or Aether. Other then that, do whatever direction you can to get them off the stage.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Most throws in this game are useless. This was done to prevent comboing.

Simply, you should be throwing to get space. Ike likes the amount of space his throws give. Its enough to get them out of your face, but not so far that you can't keep the pressure on them.

soadfan916

Smash Rookie
Throw is a good set-up

I usually use the down throw then immediately follow with an Aether, but this only works for low percentages. The left and right throws are great for setting up the dair spike on the edge of stages. Just make sure not to fast fall or you will die. The spike set-up is tough to pull off but is extremely satisfying.

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Smash Apprentice
dont do anything. Just pummel them with A and then follow up with a neutral A combo or up tilt when they break out

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
As stated, down throw to Aether works if your opponent is really bad at DI and at low percentages.

If I'm near the edge though, I throw them off. More pressure, and the name of the game with Ike is pressure.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I'll usually just down throw into chasing them with a spaced fair or uair. Worse comes to worse, the attack doesn't connect due to them jumping away or airdodging and neither of you receive damage.

SwordsmanChris

Smash Rookie
With most characters I typically throw sideways before they can break out, and then follow it up with a quick draw, or a grand viper combo if the character is light enough. I find this to be fairly effective, but if you do it too much, it starts getting too predictable and punishable. Throwing down or up and following with an Aether generally has favorable results for me as well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Most throws in this game are useless. This was done to prevent comboing.

Simply, you should be throwing to get space. Ike likes the amount of space his throws give. Its enough to get them out of your face, but not so far that you can't keep the pressure on them.
Ice Climbers.

potemkant

Smash Rookie
Down Throw to Aether combos for good damage up to around 50% on most characters. Ike's grab has much less range than his other moves so I don't see the point of landing a relatively dangerous grab just to throw them further, he has other ways to do that safer.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Aww...It must be your first time...Don't be nervous, it's perfectly natural!

tk~

Smash Rookie
I honestly think Ike's down throw is by far his worst throw. It's slow and gives your opp a whole lot of time to input some DI in it, which forces you to have to predict where your opp is going to DI if you want to follow it up with something to keep the offensive. The only thing that it's good for is if you need to take a breather to recollect yourself, or the occasional mix-up, but even then I think the up-throw is far superior to it as it's much faster. But anyway, I think Ike's side throws are the best. Fast and efficient in giving you some space while still letting you apply pressure.

Top Bottom