• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's not you, it's me..."

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
Very interesting thread.

For me, it is and probably always will be :4metaknight:

I played him for a while, I enjoy his playstyle and his moveset very much. I just can't seem to get those up air strings down. I've practiced, watched videos, read guides, and I just can't get it. If I just stopped trying. If I ever have the urge to try it again and finally get it to where I can do it on a somewhat consistent basis I'd main MK for sure. But until then, RIP.

Characters I'm also interested in, but just feel other characters are better/suit me better, or there's just some technical issue on my part:
:4tlink::4greninja::4falco::4falcon::4ryu:

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
For some reason :4tlink: and :4greninja: seem to be very popular on most peoples' lists here.
I don't know why the hero and savior of everything :4tlink:is on so many lists, but :4greninja: is understandable (feels awkward,
high jump, high fall speed, etc.)

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
:4megaman: comes to mind. His jab bothers me and I'm not a huge fan of projectile heavy gameplay. Also having a reflectable FSmash doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
:4mario: - I love playing as him, and even though he's easy to use I just get bodied. I tried having him as a secondary, and now I use Bowser and Ike as Secondaries which makes no sense but hey it worked

:4feroy: - He's so fun but I never bothered to put work into him

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
:4mario: - I love playing as him, and even though he's easy to use I just get bodied. I tried having him as a secondary, and now I use Bowser and Ike as Secondaries which makes no sense but hey it worked

:4feroy: - He's so fun but I never bothered to put work into him
I considered mario a while back too, but luigi/the pits felt more comfortable in my hands. also, welcome to smashboards!
Hope you like it here!:grin:

Last edited:

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
For some reason :4tlink: and :4greninja: seem to be very popular on most peoples' lists here.
They're on my list mostly due to time constraints. I really enjoy both of 'em but I'd rather spend time with other Main/Secondary characters. Plus I just feel like other characters can do what Greninja is capable of a bit easier...though it won't be half as cool. :4falcon:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
They're on my list mostly due to time constraints. I really enjoy both of 'em but I'd rather spend time with other Main/Secondary characters. Plus I just feel like other characters can do what Greninja is capable of a bit easier...though it won't be half as cool. :4falcon:
My thoughts exactly. Greninja is super fun. It's just, he gets a lot less reward for putting in more effort than many characters. He's definitely one of the best characters to style with, though. If I had to pick between Greninja or Tink as a secondary, though, I would probably go for Tink. I absolutely love Wind Waker and I find his play style fun and rewarding. Plus, he's honestly a much more solid character than Greninja.

I've actually been thinking about picking up Tink because I happen to be good at at him and love the character. Maybe I will.

I've also been thinking about dropping Falcon, unfortunately. He's really good but I feel like he's too predictable at high level. Plus, people are figuring out how to gimp his recovery much more consistently now.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Every character I've ever wanted to be in the game except Dedede and Wario.

:bowsermelee: Sorry bro but you suck.

:mewtwomelee: You too, Mewtwo (I like you in Smash 4 though).

:metaknight: For some reason I just really don't like playing as MK. Even in Brawl when he was the "I win" character, I just never liked him. I guess it's the annoying "wuhbaduhbuhbaduh" noises and the lack of impact I feel from his moves.

:sonic: "Oh my god, Sonic the Hedgehog is in Super Smash Bros! I can't wait to see how he plays-" SPINDASH SPINDASH SPINDASH SPINDASH

:4littlemac: I really don't like how they made him completely ground based.

:4villager: I hate projectile-heavy characters.

:4megaman: Great, another one.

:4pacman:STOP.

:4ryu: Pretty much the exact opposite of everything I like about Smash Bros. (cancelable attacks, special move inputs, horrible mobility, useless throws, etc.)

Last edited:

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
ANY of the pokemon. Going into smash primarily as a Pokemon fan, I went in thinking I was going to main of them. They're all great in their own ways, but they didn't click with me for various reasons.
:4pikachu:: Perhaps the closest I've come to picking up a pokemon. Can't say why for sure, but it just didn't work.
:4lucario:: Don't like the Aura mechanic. Leaves a lot to be desired when you're at early percents. Not the biggest fan of the pokemon either.
:4greninja:: Jumps to high for me. Speed+jump height is a bit much. I can't control this guy XD
:4charizard:: Not a fan of the heavy types.
:4mewtwo:: Mewtwo came along at a point where I've already cemented my main(s)/secondaries, so I may have been a bit biased when trying him out-, but he was just too floaty and light for my liking and his moveset didn't feel satisfying.
:4jigglypuff:: I can be moderately aggressive while playing, so the lightness of these last two are a - for me. Plus, I'm really bad at landing rest XD

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
:4robinf: Actually. I happily picked her up a couple of months upon getting the game and she became one of my primary subs. Now days though I just don't find her as fun as I used to, and when I play her I always feel very limited in my options. I feel pretty bad about it because I know she's decent and I could get better if I tried, but...I just don't have the motivation.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Bittersweet with :4greninja: here. Picked him for Pokemon Y and quite a surprise to see him in this game. But man, does he need a lot of effort to do damage and KO (more or less a recovery that's weird and easily self-gimping). However, a previous blue Pokemon that I still hate back then and now is actually playable. The meh is real.

Cheshire

Smash Rookie
:4fox: :4falco: I'm such trash as the Star Fox characters in this game. I've had good moments with them, but I can't be consistently good with them.

:4feroy: Like the Star Fox characters, I'm really bad with Roy for whatever reason, which is funny, since I thought getting the hilt on Roy's sword would be easier than getting a tipper with Marth. I get beat up a ton and he doesn't feel right for an FE character.

:4robinm: I actually don't think I'm all that bad at Robin, though I'm pretty campy with him out of habit, which I hate a lot, so I dropped him for my own good.

:4olimar: Olimar is a character who's games I really love, but I can't really get the hang of him. I take tons of damage with him so I usually resort to throwing Pikmin at a safe difference, which barely works even with purples.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Okay, maybe I haven't been so entirely honest. There are a bit more other characters that I've considered and dropped after a while. So much that I don't even know where to begin, but I guess I'll just do it based on memory.

:4mario: - It's Mario. C'mon. Everyone knows Mario. He's the John Doe of Smash. Easy and simple to pick up, and hard to master. Not to mention, he's one of my favorite video game characters. I picked him up because he was rather good and the fact that I like him as a character. So, why did I drop him exactly? I see too many people maining him. In case you don't know, I'm the kind of guy who prefers to seek out the most underused of characters and show their potentials. In Smash, at least. I'd have to like them as a character too, so I wouldn't pick up Palutena for instance.

:4robinf: - At one time, I decided to main both Robins, but I just prefer Male Robin as a character more.

:4ness: - Earthbound. 13-year-old kid with powers. Need I say more? He's pretty good in Smash too, and some people even recommended me in picking up this character. But in order for me to do that, I'd have to find a way to get past his gimpable recovery. (And learning how to aim the blasted thing...)

:4villager: - In the early days of Smash 4, I picked up Villager because of his Pocket ability. I also wanted to get into Animal Crossing, which seems like a great franchise to me. I don't know why I dropped him either.

:4yoshi: - Who could resist this cute little dinosaur? Apparently, a lot of people. I picked him up because of Yoshi's Island and him being my favorite character back in the day. But I dropped him because having an unreliable Up Special is strange to me.

:4wario2: - Wario was one of the characters that I actually clicked with. I liked Wario Land 4 and his personality too, so I picked him up. I don't know why I dropped him either.

:4bowser: -- Bowser's Inside Story was a pretty cool game. Heavyweights are just as underused, too. I don't know why I dropped him either.

Alright, I'm growing bored from typing of all this. Instead, I'll just show the rest.
:4bowserjr::4littlemac::4pit::4samus::4zss::4wiifit::4tlink::4olimar::4gaw::4duckhunt::4fox::4falco:

kiddo805

Smash Rookie
:4zss: Really fun to play for me (Love landing that Up B and that grab), but high tier characters are sort of a shut-off for me. I don't really know why, but every top tier character just doesn't work well for me.

:4sheik:Bouncing Fish and Needles are fun. Top tier is not (Sorry!)

:4ness: Although I haven't played any of his games, I really like Ness. Good specials and aerials. BUT! I cannot control his Up B FOR MY LIFE! I don't know why. Whenever I'm below the ledge, more than likely I'll SD. But I might try learning more about him later down the road.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:4myfriends: - I really do like this character and I have respect for anybody who can play him well, but something about him just doesn't click with me. I mained him when I first got Smash 3DS, but when U came out, we just... drifted apart. It's sad, really. I like Ike, but I guess I'm a R O Y B O Y deep inside.
:4megaman: - Love his games to death and I got along with him so well at first, but good God is his skill curve high. I'm already maining :4jigglypuff: and :rosalina:, Mega Man would make me overheat like a damn car.
:4luigi: - I loved this character so much, you just don't know. Then 1.08 happened and ruined him. His KO power is ****ed up and he feels incomplete now. Worst of all, his flash is gone. It makes me so mad that this once-great character has been degraded to this tragedy. The Year of Luigi has come to a screeching halt.
:4rob:: Feels so boring to me. Too much flowchart for me I guess. H00-H4H feels sweet though.
H00-H4H? I thought it was the 833P-800P?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
:4myfriends: - I really do like this character and I have respect for anybody who can play him well, but something about him just doesn't click with me. I mained him when I first got Smash 3DS, but when U came out, we just... drifted apart. It's sad, really. I like Ike, but I guess I'm a R O Y B O Y deep inside.
:4megaman: - Love his games to death and I got along with him so well at first, but good God is his skill curve high. I'm already maining :4jigglypuff: and :rosalina:, Mega Man would make me overheat like a damn car.
:4luigi: - I loved this character so much, you just don't know. Then 1.08 happened and ruined him. His KO power is ****ed up and he feels incomplete now. Worst of all, his flash is gone. It makes me so mad that this once-great character has been degraded to this tragedy. The Year of Luigi has come to a screeching halt.

H00-H4H? I thought it was the 833P-800P?
Yah, it's more commonly known as that, but I like H00H-H4H better

Furret24

Smash Master

Don't you mean 1.1.1? Luigi didn't get any changes in 1.0.8.
:162:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
1.1.1 is that nerfed Luigi hard (interestingly, he's still 16th on the "official" tier list), so I'll assume that's the one you mean.
:162:
Oh God, the "official" tier list. Kim Kardashian's ass is more official than that thing.

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
There are certainly a couple... (The names are next to them in case they don't show up, which is likely to happen because my internet can go DUCK itself)

[Meta Knight] The only Kirby character I suck with, and hooooooooo-boy, do I suck with him. Even in Brawl where he's the "I win" character, I still get my arse kicked with him.

[Mewtwo] I go back and forth with Mewtwo. Sometimes I can wreck people with him, other times I fall flat on my face. And I dunno about you, but I can't really work with that kinda unpredictability. Speaking of...

[Ryu] If there's one thing I can't do, it's controlling how long I push a button for, especially when it comes to the almost frame-perfect timing you've got to have with Ryu. And since I can't consistently push out weak attacks mixed with strong attacks, it lands me in a sad place with Ryu.

[Wario] I use the Bike way more often than I should. Help.

[Charizard] I swear, Charlizard is the only heavyweight that doesn't click with me.

[Yoshi] I don't know what it is about Yoshi, but despite me having acres of fun with him, he just doesn't... Work for me, I guess.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I'm a fan of Marth's visual design and moves, but he's just not very good, so I can't stick with him. Besides, I'm too devoted to my main.

Top Bottom