• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's getting harder

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
I've been spending a lot more time with Shulk lately because I'm hitting another wall with Mega. I've been advancing my game with him as much as I can, incorporating new tricks, practicing like a mofo. Unfortunately I lack the raw precision needed to really excel with him. Shulk players really aren't kidding about the "Feeling It". His rhythm comes a bit easier. With Mega I have to feel the fight and make precise shots on the fly while keeping the spacing I need to stay safe and playing some major mixup with his tools. I'm not dropping him, I love the guy to death, but I'm starting to find his playstyle exhausting. Do you guys ever feel like you're hitting roadblocks with MM?

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I agree, I think he's extremely hard to play with.. I've been playing him since release of 3ds as a main almost the entire time, while also picking up a pretty decent bowser. People who I totally wreck with bowser is more like an even match with my megaman. There is little room for mistake with the blue bomber, but I plan to practice him to perfection!

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I do feel like every so often I stop improving, and when that happens I lose interest in playing Smash for a few days. Then I come back feeling refreshed, and find that I'm doing even better than before especially without the frustration from before. Sometimes, on days I'm not really feeling Mega Man, I just use my secondary :4sonic:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
I play mega man if i want to but sometimes i like changing Char's when i feel like.

I do have the same prob like you tho. I love mega man to death but i feel like i did everything with mega man and Starting to get burn out on mega man. I been playing these Char's lately :4shulk::4robinm::4lucina::4villager::4palutena:.

Blue24

Smash Cadet
Yea, I feel you. The learning curve is pretty high.

Take breaks, watch replays and learn, and definitely play other chars. I am mildly annoyed how easy I picked up some chars, such as toon link. Its probably because my thought process is "cool I am good with Toon Link....but I don't want to play Toon Link, I WANT TO PLAY MEGAMAN!"

While Megaman frustrates me at times, he is also the char I have fun with the most, which I why I keep forging ahead to break any walls that come my way....even if my chisel is a toothpick.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I've been spending a lot more time with Shulk lately because I'm hitting another wall with Mega. I've been advancing my game with him as much as I can, incorporating new tricks, practicing like a mofo. Unfortunately I lack the raw precision needed to really excel with him. Shulk players really aren't kidding about the "Feeling It". His rhythm comes a bit easier. With Mega I have to feel the fight and make precise shots on the fly while keeping the spacing I need to stay safe and playing some major mixup with his tools. I'm not dropping him, I love the guy to death, but I'm starting to find his playstyle exhausting. Do you guys ever feel like you're hitting roadblocks with MM?
I can confirm that I am burnt out as a Mega Man player. Has been a rough month of January. I did really well at Apex, not outstanding but showed signs of life and progress. However, I still am running into that mental barrier that prevents me from sealing the deal or winning those "Game 3/last hit scenarios" I find myself losing to Ike and other heavier/bad characters because I struggle with taking stocks and finishing the game.

Perhaps I am just playing scared and not completely respecting their character, but it really frustrating me that I have declined in both quality of play as well as in results. While others become better players around me, I continue to see myself not just remaining at the same skill level, but declining rapidly.

With that being said, I will be stepping away from Smash Bros for a 2 to 3 week period.

This includes avoiding all Smash Bros related content as well as touching the game. It might be most beneficial to take this route as I need to clear my mind.

I sincerely apologize to everyone in this group. I have had a lot of awesome members on this thread look to me for advice and some even kind enough to consider me a player they study for their own self improvement. I am sorry to say that I am currently see myself as a fraud who was blessed to be featured on a really awesome weekly series on a few time. Thankfully there are some other incredible members who can not only provide better advice.

With that being said, I am sad to say that it has come to me abandoning Smash 4 for a while but I am excited for other opportunities that I can do with my life during that period of time.

Best of luck everyone and continue to fight for ever lasting peace!

-SSGuy

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Best of luck to you, @ SSGuy SSGuy . Taking a break can be incredibly beneficial to clear you mind. Smash 4 is not life and prioritizing things is usually smart from a real life perspective. Putting your play out for everyone to see takes a lot of confidence and I'll go out on a limb and say that I have learned quite a bit from watching footage of you play.

Mega Man is a mentally demanding character. A lot of patience is required, and his best moves need precision. Especially against people who can throw out kill moves with less commitment like Ike and other heavies, one missed Mega Man utilt is a lost stock while a missed ftilt from Ike is whatever. But oh, how satisfying he can be.

As for myself, there's a list of things I'm trying to get better at that keep me interested and improving with the character. Things like SH pellets while holding a metal blade, item pellets, matchups, etc. But it's quite the grind. I might've hit a couple walls already, but learning other characters has helped me think of things with my Mega Man play and get back into the character. However, it's not just about improving, it's about having fun with the character and enjoying playing him. So, enjoy your break. :)

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Nobody should give up on Mega Man.

Wanna know why?

Cause he's freakin Mega Man.

I use Mega Man as you can tell, and he's a tough character to use, but I always thought that was a metaphor for how hard the classic Mega Man games where.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I can confirm that I am burnt out as a Mega Man player. Has been a rough month of January. I did really well at Apex, not outstanding but showed signs of life and progress. However, I still am running into that mental barrier that prevents me from sealing the deal or winning those "Game 3/last hit scenarios" I find myself losing to Ike and other heavier/bad characters because I struggle with taking stocks and finishing the game.

Perhaps I am just playing scared and not completely respecting their character, but it really frustrating me that I have declined in both quality of play as well as in results. While others become better players around me, I continue to see myself not just remaining at the same skill level, but declining rapidly.

With that being said, I will be stepping away from Smash Bros for a 2 to 3 week period.

This includes avoiding all Smash Bros related content as well as touching the game. It might be most beneficial to take this route as I need to clear my mind.

I sincerely apologize to everyone in this group. I have had a lot of awesome members on this thread look to me for advice and some even kind enough to consider me a player they study for their own self improvement. I am sorry to say that I am currently see myself as a fraud who was blessed to be featured on a really awesome weekly series on a few time. Thankfully there are some other incredible members who can not only provide better advice.

With that being said, I am sad to say that it has come to me abandoning Smash 4 for a while but I am excited for other opportunities that I can do with my life during that period of time.

Best of luck everyone and continue to fight for ever lasting peace!

-SSGuy
Breaks are always good and doing this right after APEX is a pretty good idea. We'll see you when we see you!

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
Things are getting extra hard for us Mega Mains since practically everyone on FG is learning how to catch metal blades with dash attacks, air dodges, and aerial attacks. It's getting difficult to use them properly since the timing for catching them is so piss easy.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Things are getting extra hard for us Mega Mains since practically everyone on FG is learning how to catch metal blades with dash attacks, air dodges, and aerial attacks. It's getting difficult to use them properly since the timing for catching them is so piss easy.
I don't mind when opponent gets a blade. Just spam pellets on them. If they throw the first pellet stops the blade, and they get hit with the follow up ones. If they block pellets, go for a throw.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I play Mega Man just as much as I play Rosalina no matter what the outcome is though I don't really use him that much during online battles besides playing with friends.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind when opponent gets a blade. Just spam pellets on them. If they throw the first pellet stops the blade, and they get hit with the follow up ones. If they block pellets, go for a throw.
I'd say them holding on to the metal blade will only make things more difficult for them in the long run. SanAntonioSmasher had it right when he said that just more lemons, and more pressure in general, will want to make 'em let go of that Metal Blade pretty quickly.

Remember, the longer they hold onto it, the more limited their options are, as they can't even use regular A-attacks anymore. It narrows down their choices so you know they'll either toss it, use some sort of B-special, or just dodge around.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough, I seem to be doing best with Mega out of all of the chars I use. He is really methodic and requires patience and presence of mind. I ended up 4th place at a local tournament with him, losing agaisnt a Jiggly and a Rosalina... Funnily enough, I have more fun playing with Kirby than Megaman, With Kirby I lose about 48% of my battles while with Mega I keep it around close to 30% to 25%, a very big gap :/

That being said, Megaman is easy to punish but also punishes pretty hard. Mixing up things and getting on your opponents mind seems to be the best strategy.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I can definitely see how someone could feel burnt out on Mega Man. Sometimes I feel like I'm using double or triple the amount of inputs as my opponents all the while I'm having to be extraordinarily precise with my moves and use complex mind games to set up for a KO. It can be exhausting at times.

However, that's also part of the reason I love being a MM main. Everyone wrote him off when the game first came out but those of us that have stuck with him are proving people wrong left and right. You can almost feel it when people have that "wtf moment" when they realize they just got waxed by a Mega Man.

I've seen myself branching out a bit more and playing as my secondaries but Mega Man will most likely always be my main.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I actually think i'm not using him to his fullest, but he is still my best character by far.

I've been trying something different lately, when i fight someone who i struggle to take down as megaman and am losing a lot, i switch to Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Ike and Ganondorf on that order, not expecting to win, just to slug it out a little.

Throw some punches out there to relax. Sometimes you just want to go Fist of the North Star on a ****.

After i do that, i switch back to MM, more calm and playing better. Did that yesterday against a Mario who was kicking my ***, and i could see the improvement, i still lost but it went from a "Mario 2 stocks combo video" into a way too close for comfort match(dude also added me so i have a training partner now XD i think...).

Watching videos from the other guys here makes me realize how much i suck, so i wont be dropping MM anytime soon till i feel like i'm using him to his full potential.

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
I did some re-evaluating recently. It's hard to tell when it's happening, but subtle input lag can completely destroy my megaman game. Sometimes i'm not sure if the delay is there or if i'm just making excuses for my lack of skill. I'm very sensitive to the slightest delay, as i'm a very rhythimic gamer and can get messed up easily by lag or frame drops.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I did some re-evaluating recently. It's hard to tell when it's happening, but subtle input lag can completely destroy my megaman game. Sometimes i'm not sure if the delay is there or if i'm just making excuses for my lack of skill. I'm very sensitive to the slightest delay, as i'm a very rhythimic gamer and can get messed up easily by lag or frame drops.
Yeah, I have the exact same issue! Slightest lag completely gets into my head and I proceed to enter "****** mode".

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Agreed. Mega Man is harder for me to play online.

ExZero

Smash Rookie
I agree. I experienced the same scenario this weekend. Whenever I play online I find that the input lag messes up my Megaman. It feels incredibly sluggish when I try to move although I can't see any severe lag spikes. I think Mega Man is just harder to play online.

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
I wish i could get some decent practice with him in a lag free environment. My friends are around my skill level but I need some opportunities to push myself before the tourney this weekend. Thankfully my brother's a Lucario main so I can at least train against that cheap ********.

Seba!

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seba!
I wish i could get some decent practice with him in a lag free environment. My friends are around my skill level but I need some opportunities to push myself before the tourney this weekend. Thankfully my brother's a Lucario main so I can at least train against that cheap ****head.
I haven't played many Lucarios in a lag free enviroment, but from what I've seen it's not that bad of a matchup. All of his smash attacks and many of his moves are rather laggy, and you can use your projectiles much quicker than he can.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
What If a Lucario gets the blade in a flat stage and starts running away and using his charged B? it beats everything Mega Man can shoot him and its faster... I ask this because in a tourny I fought a Lucario that did that against me.
I'd say them holding on to the metal blade will only make things more difficult for them in the long run. SanAntonioSmasher had it right when he said that just more lemons, and more pressure in general, will want to make 'em let go of that Metal Blade pretty quickly.

Remember, the longer they hold onto it, the more limited their options are, as they can't even use regular A-attacks anymore. It narrows down their choices so you know they'll either toss it, use some sort of B-special, or just dodge around.
A camping opponent Like Lucario or Samus can really get a lot of adventuge with this, specially with their charge shots.
I can definitely see how someone could feel burnt out on Mega Man. Sometimes I feel like I'm using double or triple the amount of inputs as my opponents all the while I'm having to be extraordinarily precise with my moves and use complex mind games to set up for a KO. It can be exhausting at times.

However, that's also part of the reason I love being a MM main. Everyone wrote him off when the game first came out but those of us that have stuck with him are proving people wrong left and right. You can almost feel it when people have that "wtf moment" when they realize they just got waxed by a Mega Man.

I've seen myself branching out a bit more and playing as my secondaries but Mega Man will most likely always be my main.
You tell me! on saturday I two stocked a very respected and good Diddy Kong mainer at a tourny with Mega Man (the head of my group who didn't lost a single game against anyone except me), and people went nuts! they even put the "Super Fighting Robot" theme on speakers while I was playing. I play using a lot of advance tech, so a lot of people get very hype when I play. I'm the only Mega Man at my scene, because every other one either suck or dropped him, so imagine the hype of seeing a good Mega Man in a scene full of diddys and so on, because most of Mega Man users gets destroyed by top tiers.

A camping opponent Like Lucario or Samus can really get a lot of adventuge with this, specially with their charge shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
So i'm gonna rant a bit more. Been up late getting murdered again. No biggie.

So tonight i fought a really skilled Pit, a murderously good Donkey Kong and a few roll spammers that I was failing to punish effectively. (Still find the rolls in this game jarring as hell.) I've gotten used to fighting players who play pretty offensively, so when roll spam starts happening it really throws me off how effective it is.

Now pit on the other hand, I just found out his attacks cut through Mega's projectiles and have enough reach to slap him while doing so. I know most characters with swords can do it but Pit's speed makes it unbearable. Careful spacing is completely negated by his dash attack being able to cut the lemons out of the air. But even so I managed to keep at bay long enough to get some edge guard opportunities. Mega is definitely effective against him there, but Pit's recovery allows him to return from spikes which is freaky. But what really got to me while fighting him is that against Mega he can basically flail his blades around almost for free, leaving us limited punish opportunities.

As for the DK, I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to roll past his big punch. Won't be doing that again. He didn't punish the end of the roll though, he interrupted the startup. I can't even remember the last time I interrupted a roll with anything other than Shulk's Fsmash.

On the subject of rolls, I'm really pissed that Sakurai gave already mobile characters godlike rolls while slower/average characters have less iframes on them. Who thought that was a good idea? I know Mega's roll isn't that great so I got punished for rolling too much early, which is fine as it gave me a reason to learn how to use his movement. Meanwhile, I'm having trouble hitting a roll/smash spamming Lucina.

Now I'm aware that a large amount of this is due to my own shortcomings and limitations as a player, but as hard as Mega's playstyle is to learn, I feel that he's harder than he should be due to the reasons I stated above as well as a few others. I keep running into random inconsistencies like this while using him and I feel it can be a bit unfair that so many characters have such easy ways to go absolutely ape**** on him while he struggles to accumulate damage. Mega Mains are forced to level up and increase their skill, while other characters have moves that do half the work for them with speed, armor, huge hitboxes, or what have you.

End of rant.

Twisted Joker

Smash Rookie
Honestly, no.

The reason is because i feel that there is so many options i can exploit.

Example? An edge guarding idea i have yet to put to the test is jumping off the ledge and sticking a cluster bomb to the edge. If it doesn't mess with their recovery, then it at least gives me a chance to give them a Hard Knuckle sandwich into the depths.

Also, if you really want to get good with him, check out the Advanced techniques in this sub category for Megaman.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think Pit is one of mega mans toughest matchups as well. The heavies can give mega trouble because lemons aren't as effective at stunning them. one mis step with a heavy and you can get KOd easily.

When opponents roll you have to get used to their roll patterns. If you watch some YouTube videos of chillin's mega man he does great at expecting the roll and pivot grabbing/utilt and he punishes his opponents really well.

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
I'm starting to understand how roll reading works. It's just harder than I think it should be. When used unpredictably they can be a formidable tool and the sudden jerky nature of them throws me off pretty hard. I've been playing against very good offensive players. Instead of rolling they just move with precision, only using the rolls to create opportunities or get some space. These guys know what's up and I have a blast fighting them. I'm learning to play more like them as that kind of precise offensive maneuvering is super beneficial to Mega Man and it has improved my game with him big time. But then the roll spammers come back and it catches me completely off guard.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I try and use rolls as little as possible, because they are predictable, you will always end up in the same spot everytime.

Top Bottom