• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It'll be fine

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
People who are worried the new smash game won't have a long competitive lifespan because "it's too similar to Brawl" need to chill. SSB4 will have a fine competitive lifespan.
How can we know this?

Brawl had tripping.

Brawl's competitive scene is still alive, and it has tripping. A clear anti-competitive feature. But the scene trucks on, it's still played competitively. Not to mention it's horribly imbalanced (MK).

So with all of its faults, Brawl is still played in tournaments. So yeah, SSB4 will be just fine. Even if it manages to mimic Brawl's physics 100%, if it doesn't have tripping it's already 2x the competitive fighter Brawl was.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Not that many are freaking out because of similarities. Ledgegrabbibg is like melee andnitbis a fast game

Mr.C

Smash Master
Brawls last competitive Twitch stream, 200 viewers.
Melees last competitive Twitch stream, 2000 viewers.

Brawls "competitive" scene is barely alive.

Conda

The Smash scene is alive, that's the point. A new smash without tripping and low hitstun is a game that will have a better scene than Brawl had, and Brawl managed to stay alive (albeit barely) for five years with clear anti-competitive features weighed against them.

Gades

Smash Rookie

Brawl's stream was a small local.
Melee's was a national.
Last SKTAR (Brawl National) stream had well over 2500 viewers.

You were saying?

Seriously, why do these Melee nuts constantly make themselves look like buffoons? I've noticed it's always the randoms who haven't accomplished anything too, the actual good Melee players just mind their own business. Is this how you guys try to feel better about yourselves?

Renji64

Smash Lord
I'm not asking for a melee 2.0 But i don't want brawl 2.0 Give me something better than both smash seems to never improve.

Gades

Smash Rookie
I'm not asking for a melee 2.0 But i don't want brawl 2.0 Give me something better than both smash seems to never improve.
I want the best of both worlds.

Give me the speed and less abusable ledges of Melee. I'd like wavedashing as well but I could live without it. But also give me glide tossing, pivot grabs, footstools, DACUS etc.

As well as a whole host of fresh new innovative mechanics.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I want the best of both worlds.

Give me the speed and less abusable ledges of Melee. I'd like wavedashing as well but I could live without it. But also give me glide tossing, pivot grabs, footstools, DACUS etc.

As well as a whole host of fresh new innovative mechanics.
This I want something with some depth. I started with brawl then moved to melee cause it was more challenge make a smash that at least can make everyone happy.

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
i doubt its going to have any major depth due to the controller scheme for Wii u and not to mention 3ds

Even with gc adapters, it wont be designed with Gc in mind

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
That's true, it won't be Melee, but I do kinda wish they would've introduced a new mechanic that enhanced the game play. The game isn't finished yet, though. They have until somewhere in 2014 which is when they'll release it. We also have to look forward to balance competitive-wise, so we won't see pure MK mains all over tournaments and stuff. It most definitely won't be 100% balanced, but they can do their best. There will probably still be bad match ups. I don't know if they're focusing on that as well.

Things I'll be looking forward to: New characters, better online, some characters with moveset changes (dat upperdash arm for pit) and character balance, and I guess that's it. Not sure if I missed anything. I'm also looking forward to the connectivity, but we haven't gotten information on that yet.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I would like it to be mechanically distinct from all previous smash games, but in a good and developed way. Melee built on 64's mechanics. Brawl tore the fundamentally solid foundation down and made a hell of a lot of mistakes.
I ain't worried about the game's competitive lifespan, people love smash too much for it to not have one. If anything the only thing threatening smash 4's competitive lifespan is the wii u itself: nobody ****ing owns one. This might be the first smash title not to outsell its predecessor.

Revven

FrankerZ
You can't really say anything definitively about what's in the trailer because lots of **** when Brawl was unveiled was running on the Melee engine as the base. They're doing the exact same thing here, using Brawl as a base.

Whether or not they'll change any of what Brawl introduced remains to be seen and we probably *won't* see any of the significant engine changes until 6 or 8 months from now.

I, personally, think they've been focusing on making characters and stages first and then they'll be working on the engine. It makes sense to prioritize the roster and stage count than the engine because characters/stages take a lot more time than editing the engine to fit what they want.

So yeah. Nothing is definitive. Not even the "hitstun" you see in the videos. Maybe some of the Brawl remnants will stay but I really, really doubt Sakurai is going to put out this game with all the same Brawl quirks after he tried so hard to say, "Brawl is a different game from Melee" and "I try to make each game have its own feel because it's a new game". It'd be shocking if he went against his own philosophies.

Well, except the philosophies about Brawl itself with regards to competition.

Basically, fans have a right to be worried about the gameplay. Please stop trying to dispel concerns just because you're happy with what was showed. There's reason to be concerned.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
i doubt its going to have any major depth due to the controller scheme for Wii u and not to mention 3ds

Even with gc adapters, it wont be designed with Gc in mind
What controller scheme are you talking about? The wiimote?

I hope you realize that the Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro controller(which seems to be the preferred controller by the devs) are very similar to the GCC in both shape and functionality.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You know what tbh when PeePz were like will this game be more like a Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0 its turned out to be a Brawl HD 2.0 (without tripping.

This game i think has met ''MY'' standards just barely.

I said my expectations of Sm4sh is for it to be better than Brawl but i dont expect it to be better than melee i wouldnt be upset if it aint either.

So its pretty much guarnteed that the game will have a better online system how much by is still not known plus there is no tripping and its grapchics and colours are way bettee than brawls also i assume there is no way in hell the story mode could be worse than brawl's so i would say this game is defenetly gonna be better than brawl.

As for character balance i doubt it could be worse than brawls...im fine sticking with my Smash Main veterans that i have for years Samus & Bowser as long as they stack up decently to the other chars in balance *cough brawl..*

I have no idea if Ridley/K.Rool/Mewtwo will make it.....

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
What controller scheme are you talking about? The wiimote?

I hope you realize that the Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro controller(which seems to be the preferred controller by the devs) are very similar to the GCC in both shape and functionality.

I think Pro controller is more like a Playstation controller with the positions of the buttons and the analogs switched. I can't speak for myself, but iv'e seen a lot of people butthurt over the pro controller's design. IMO the pad is out-right awkward....and I also think people are just going to have to re-adapt their fundamentals to these new DS/Fps Shooter-like controllers if they ever intend to get proham.

The recipes certainly been changed...again...i just hope nintendo didn't put forth any extra effort towards disabling GC Controller/Adapter Compatibility, that would be some ****.

And on a sidenote, i'm expecting player numbers to increase for all 4 of the games, (except maybe for S64), seeing as how this new generation of smash is bound to bring in newcomers, and perhaps, some of them will acknowledge Melee's dominance, and body Mango and M2K with new age metagame :happysheep:

Conda

I'm still wondering how we'll get around the bluetooth interference problem. with 5 running wiimotes at impulse 2013 (100ish people), there was interference. Lol.

Browny

Smash Hater

Look at this guy.

Last stream I watched was Impulse 2013, which set the second-highest stream count in smash history DURING BRAWL 1VS1 GRAND FINALS

Deal with it.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I dont see how anyone could like melee. The whole MK argument is ****, look at how inbalanced Roy was and the amount of filler characters.

Melee is overrated. Brawl forever and I hope the new version brings in some odl machanics from Melee but stays true to the legendary predecessor.

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
Personally, if they just remove the trip chance from movement, and just add it onto certain moves(For example, in Project M, squirtles Down B trips if it hits) THAT, would be good. Because some characters require the tripping chance on a move to string combos. That would be nice to have. Also, this thread contains way too many meleefags "hurr it won't b ok cuz it iznt mele" Nobody wants another melee. Nobody wants a game, that's suppose to be a sequel of sorts to be the same as one of it's predecessors. That's stupid, and makes no sense. Plus, I really want to know what people hate about Brawl, besides "zomg 2floaty4mi", tripping, and MK(Which really isn't that bad. Sure, he destroys low tier characters but anybody mid to high tier has a chance. Know how your ****ing matchup works and stop complaining)

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I dont see how anyone could like melee. The whole MK argument is ****, look at how inbalanced Roy was and the amount of filler characters.

Melee is overrated. Brawl forever and I hope the new version brings in some odl machanics from Melee but stays true to the legendary predecessor.
Roy Imbalanced? You don't see how anyone could like Melee? Warioloaf what are you talking about?
I'd settle for a good game.
What troubles me is that you said settle... unless you were making a distinction between good and great. Because in that case I'd settle for a good game, but expect a great game.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Nope. It won't be Brawl. That's for sure.

It won't be Melee, that's also for sure. And some people will hate it for that.

It will be Smash 4. Some people who liked Melee will love it. Some people who liked Brawl will love it. And new people will rise and love Smash 4 for than any other Smash game. And among those people, there will be new competitive players that master Smash 4 for what it is. Not for it being like Brawl or Melee. But for being like Smash 4.

Sashimi

Smash Ace

Impulse 2013 had about 1600 Melee viewers. It had about 8000 Brawl viewers. Both scenes are alive and well.

Top Bottom