• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It is physically impossible to do a perfect ledgedash by inputting outwards to let go of the ledge.

rashssb

Smash Rookie
after doing some hours of experimenting with the frame counter feature in 20xx, i have concluded that it is actually physically impossible to perform a perfect ledgedash UNLESS you use down to let go of the ledge. This is because if you flick in the opposite direction to let go of the ledge (even if it is the most microscopic flick imaginable) it is literally impossible to turn to the direction of the stage, or even return to a neutral position after one frame, which is required in order to do a frame perfect ledgedash. With using straight down to let go however, because you are already in a horizontally neutral position, you pretty much don’t have to make any new directional inputs order to do the perfect double jump. To clarify, here are the steps to performing a perfect ledgedash:

1. Let go of the ledge

2. One frame after you let go of the ledge, simultaneously double jump while inputting a neutral or inward direction (if you do not do this in the exact same frame of the double jump, the double jump will make you go a backward momentum, preventing you from wavelanding onto the stage)

3. Waveland onto the stage 3 frames after the double jump.
With this, we know that you must first, let go of the ledge, and after one frame, double jump with neutral or inward momentum. The reason why letting go of the ledge outwards is problematic here is because it is literally physically impossible to change the direction of your control stick, or even let go of your controlstick to make a neutral input within one frame. Hopefully this clears some things up for people struggling with ledgedashing, I myself was an outward-ledgedasher before i discovered this.

TL;DR: stop inputting outward to let go of the ledge, its not optimal

SheepHair

Smash Rookie
This is an old post, but what am I doing at 4am with no sleep if not replying to old smashboards posts? Anyway, as a side note, some controllers which have degraded after a lot of use have a weird effect where inputting diagonally down will cause the controller send a directly down input for 1 frame before sending the diagonal input. Despite this being a malfunction, it's actually great for ledgedashes because you can input down and in from neutral and still fall of the ledge, instead of pressing down and then moving the control stick.

I believe this is a result of PODE, which itself is the cause of controllers with good dashback. It doesn't give you any extra GALINT frames over actually inputting down, but it makes ledgedashes way easier because there is less of a chance of messing up your angle and SDing. Basically if you want good ledgedashes, give n3z like $300 and tell him you want a controller is good ledgedashes.

Top Bottom