• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Issues with neutral and kill setups

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
As the title says, I have issues with MegaMan's neutral and find ways to take stocks consistently. I labbed setups with the MB and b-air such as z-drop it and b-air but its way too predictable, even the MB to shoryuken. I may have an ideas that my K.O's are easier when edgeguarding the problem here is getting my opponent off stage. So I would like to get the input of experienced players and newcomers alike.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Sometimes you have to keep pelting your opponent with things until they make a mistake. Mega Man doesn't have many good kill confirms so you have to be patient sometimes. Getting them off stage can be pretty easy sometimes though because Mega Man does have a good grab game. Metal Blades and Leaf Shield can help get you the grabs. After that, it's bair, dair, or nair that will hopefully seal the KO for you.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Getting them off stage can be pretty easy sometimes though because Mega Man does have a good grab game.
Ledge trumping when your opponent is on the ledge or when off stage seems to work and also limits their options. Now that i think about it, If they try to recover on stage, I can hit the stick back and jump on stage and punish with an up/down smash or up-tilt. If the try to trump the ledge from me while offstage, I can just let go of the ledge jump and trump them to finish of with a back air.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Don't overcommit. That's pretty much the only advice I could really give you.
Mega Man really lacks kill confirms, but he can rack up damage without thinking too much, and seal stocks with a simple throw. Even if many people seem to underestimate the UTilt's sourspots, trying too hard to hit them with it isn't a good idea. Better try staying safe and getting Leaf Shield grabs. And if they get too close, Nair can give you awesome Edgeguard situations (Ftilt-> Ftilt -> Nair can put in a lot of work, believe me).

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Z-Dropping is a actually far from predictable being one of our few 1-frame moves, but you have to be very much in range to use it, which is totally fine since its 1 frame, and has a very persistent hitbox that can do up to 20% without a follow up.

The zigma upper as we call it here is still a decent approach. Predictable, maybe? Perhaps? Its pretty safe nonetheless, not unpunishable though.

On floaty characters we could combo characters up to 22%~ with just nair alone. Nair sweetspot could also work backwards for a true bair follow up.

There are also auto cancelled Dair follow ups on stage. Sometimes it may throw your opponent off because they don't really expect you to use dair on stage. Dair auto cancels upon two quick double jumps which can follow to an aerial or most importantly, Up Tilt.

Then there is DITCIT which is a must to learn to help kill with ease. (I don't need to explain this one)

Off-stage I highly recommend diagonal Metal Blade, Double Jump to Dair, Bair, or Nair. This tactic could definitely make it easier to guard, either to true combo or catch an air dodge and more likely get the kill since you made off stage an obstacle to return.

I'd also recommend near entirely replacing the charge shot with the leaf shield since its actually much safer to use. Also double jump when activating the leaf shield so when you land there isn't any lag. It has a lot more range than charge shot and because of its knock back, its mostly unsafe for an opponent to air dodge a potential string. (sometimes it true combos but only if you shoot it as a get up option.) There is also leaf stooling but that's not always reliable... but it does work!

Additionally with the leaf shield, you could also land on the ledge with it and take advantage of the invincibility of hanging on the ledge. It will be near impossible for you to get trumped (or hurt) as long as you're invincible. (the leaf shield interrupts them) You could use the roll get up to extend it making the leaf shield just like Charizard's flame thrower, meaning if they get up from the ledge too soon (50 frames), they are forced on stage rather than just hang there. Some characters have no other option because their recovery sucks or is too fast (in Samus case if she's gotta Up B) making this pretty useful you're really trying to pin an opponent down.

I hope that helped you TC.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
There are also auto cancelled Dair follow ups on stage. Sometimes it may throw your opponent off because they don't really expect you to use dair on stage. Dair auto cancels upon two quick double jumps which can follow to an aerial or most importantly, Up Tilt.

When you say D-air auto cancels, you really mean that the laggy animation is replaced with the regular falling animation or something?

Off-stage I highly recommend diagonal Metal Blade, Double Jump to Dair, Bair, or Nair. This tactic could definitely make it easier to guard, either to true combo or catch an air dodge and more likely get the kill since you made off stage an obstacle to return.

I also got good results by z dropping the metal blade off stage to catch an air dodge or just get them hit and get the stock with a B-air or the d-air.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Regular fall animation, and I find diagonal metal blade tactic a little more useful since z-dropping the way I imagine it is a one chance thing since an opponent is much likely going to be near the edge for this, where this other tactic works best on an opponent farther away, where you want them to be. I prefer trumping with z-dropping, because it can kill or kill confirm to dair.

Last edited:

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Regular fall animation/QUOTE]

Wow I was always bothered with the insane landing lag on the d-air and up-tilt but for the d-air, is there a video around or guide? Mega Man guides here are only for beginners.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Well, no. While it is true that the guides here on this board list all the familiar things, I discover my own play style by labbing this stuff on my own. There are very few advanced Mega Mains on here and that's all I can really say. I'd need to make a guide of my own here to help people get familiar with the lesser known Mega Man stuff. (and an in-depth detailed one at that.)

Top Bottom