• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isolation: Thoughts from a Small Town Smasher

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
It's almost been a year now since my first tournament. I'm reflecting on my journey so far, and wanted to share with you all some perspective that I've gained through my time as a competitive Smasher.

A little bit about me: I'm from central Texas, in a small town no one's every really heard of. I grew up with games, but Smash Brothers was the biggest highlight of my early years. I remember playing Melee and Brawl with my best friend every day after school. It was just the most fun we ever had together, and we still look fondly on those days when we catch up.

The biggest thing Smash has done for me as a whole is help me embrace what I am and what I'm passionate about: gaming. I had a tough time as a kid. My parents didn't really care for my hobbies, so I sort of grew to fear them. I was always told that I wouldn't amount to anything if I put so much time into this, so as a young adult I still had a head full of doubt keeping me from really enjoying doing what I wanted to do.

I began with Project: M. It started as a fun experiment with a roommate and I, learning how to combo, dash dance, wavedash. The whole nine yards. It really opened my eyes how much I enjoyed practicing and putting my time into something I was passionate about despite what others may think of it. It was a big turning point for me and to this day I still remember exactly when I decided I wanted to make Smash my hobby. I felt so free of doubt for the first time in my life.

Fast forward to November 2014, I competed in Bowser's Revenge in Plano, TX, small P:M monthly tournament where I went on to win my first set and lose the next two. It was an incredible experience, my first glimpse into the scene, and the spark that lit my fire to compete. So I went home with a mind full of excitement, and then time passed...

It continues to pass, and it's just awful. I'm so separated from people where I live. I only know a handful of people who play Smash competitively, and we're all so busy it's impossible to play often enough. I began feeling so stuck, even after I transitioned to Melee, I had to force myself to learn how to train effectively on my own. I'm still making progress, but I hate how isolated it feels being here with hardly anyone to play with. It's really disheartening to have a hobby that no one around you can really relate to or talk to you about.

So I've made it my goal in life to play Smash with as many people as possible and in as many different places as possible. I want to get the most out of this, and share it with as many others as I can find. From scrubs to pros, I just want to be a part of the community and feel like I belong.

SkiddySlipdown

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkiddySlipdown
Very well put. I feel like joining the community for the first time can be hard, especially when you do live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. That is also my current situation so I totally feel ya there.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Very well put. I feel like joining the community for the first time can be hard, especially when you do live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. That is also my current situation so I totally feel ya there.
We'll play together someday, I swear it. :p

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately I don't own a Wii U, and I'm trying to stick with Melee for a while. Thanks for the offer, though.

SkiddySlipdown

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkiddySlipdown
Oh that's cool. I need to get back into melee, but that requires actually owning a copy. lol. I have no idea what happened to mine, and I'm not usually so careless.

Top Bottom