• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is your C-Stick set to Smash or Attack?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I notice more and more players switching C-Stick to Attack lately. As an Ike main, this is practical. But as a Mario secondary, I don't want to mix it up wrongly. Mario relies on Smashes heavily, so I keep my C-Stick to Smash.

What's your C-Stick set to?

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I have mine set to smash attacks too. Helps me a lot with pivot JC up smashes and pivot f-smashes. The only move where it could help having it set to attack, in my opinion, is d-tilt.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
Smash. I sometimes just use the old way of smashing though, like if I'm on my 3DS.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I recently finally get to play Smash Wii U, so far I set to smash.
Smash. I sometimes just use the old way of smashing though, like if I'm on my 3DS.
Even though I use New 3DS, I rarely use it's C stick.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I've switched and I haven't looked back since. Made it through a tournament today and all the DTilt spam and proper aerial spacing made the difference.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I've switched and I haven't looked back since. Made it through a tournament today and all the DTilt spam and proper aerial spacing made the difference.
My first problem with C stick changed to tilt attacks, is that I sometimes input the wrong direction. Or sometimes it doesn't function as I had expected.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
My first problem with C stick changed to tilt attacks, is that I sometimes input the wrong direction. Or sometimes it doesn't function as I had expected.
I use it exclusively for DTilt since that's what I need from it. That and spacing aerials.

By the way, as a Mario, do you feel better using C-Stick for tilts or attack?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I use it exclusively for DTilt since that's what I need from it. That and spacing aerials.

By the way, as a Mario, do you feel better using C-Stick for tilts or attack?
Mario, Mr.G&W is better when using C stick as Smash. Ike, Shulk,Link, Toon Link, and Rosalina are better is use for tilts.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
My only issues are doing pivot jump-cancelled up smashes without the C-stick and the fear of performing a f-tilt instead of an f-smash in a punish situation (happened to me way too often). Otherwise I would consider changing it to attack, since it would also help my Samus.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I switched to smashes for mario due to pivot jc upsmash and comboing into downsmash, or usmash off dair... But now I've switched back to tilts with tap jump. Mostly so I can transition from sheik/mario better.

It's only really feasible for me to accurately read/follow DI for fair with tilts on, also the double sticking/buffered upair possible only with attack stick seems pivotal for mario. I just feel like I juggle better with it.

I also use Z-jump, but that's mostly for other characters. It does make sh/fh fireballs and fludd useage better though.

I can still do pivot jc upsmash with tap jump, but only with 95%+ consistency going to the left. About 80% to the right for some reason. Working on it.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I can fast fall cross up Bair with the c-stick set for tilts so my aerials follow only one control stick input. Idk why it makes it easier, but I've played this way since my transition into WiiU

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
My C-Stick is set to Attack. To make up for the lack of a shortcut for Smash attacks, I've set Y as Special so I can pull off the "Attack + Special = Smash" shortcut by pressing Y + A together. I've gotten some good results from this setup.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I switched to smashes for mario due to pivot jc upsmash and comboing into downsmash, or usmash off dair... But now I've switched back to tilts with tap jump. Mostly so I can transition from sheik/mario better.

It's only really feasible for me to accurately read/follow DI for fair with tilts on, also the double sticking/buffered upair possible only with attack stick seems pivotal for mario. I just feel like I juggle better with it.

I also use Z-jump, but that's mostly for other characters. It does make sh/fh fireballs and fludd useage better though.

I can still do pivot jc upsmash with tap jump, but only with 95%+ consistency going to the left. About 80% to the right for some reason. Working on it.
I was just doing the inputs for Pivot JCUpsmash(:GCR:>:GCL:>:GCU:+:GCY:Quickly slide to:GCA:), there's an easier way to do it? I'm already pretty consistent with this, but i wouldn't mind switching to something easier on the hands. I have only :GCY: as my jump currently.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I was just doing the inputs for Pivot JCUpsmash(:GCR:>:GCL:>:GCU:+:GCY:Quickly slide to:GCA:), there's an easier way to do it? I'm already pretty consistent with this, but i wouldn't mind switching to something easier on the hands. I have only :GCY: as my jump currently.
I set jump to the Z button in the GCC (R button for the Pro Controller), while having the grab on the L button, to perform JC Up smash better. I use the C-stick for smashes but in your case, this would allow you to have your thumb on the A button and don't have to transition from Y to A.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I set jump to the Z button in the GCC (R button for the Pro Controller), while having the grab on the L button, to perform JC Up smash better. I use the C-stick for smashes but in your case, this would allow you to have your thumb on the A button and don't have to transition from Y to A.
Hmm, i may consider this, though i did have :GCZ: as a special button because it made some of the needle tech with Sheik easier...Though, now that i have one of the 2008 Wii GCC (the white japan ones), i trust my buttons for B reversing a bit more now, might have to try out Jump on :GCZ:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I rarely ever use my c-stick for smashes, since I get out of the groove and go play Melee, and then I can't charge my attacks. So I set my c-stick to attack and I just use my a-button.

Top Bottom