• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this a good habit?

Super Samus 99

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I'm in position for a Missile Cancel,but if I try to shoot one it won't get out because I'm too low,which normally happens when my Samus finishes an aerial and is about to touch the ground,is it a good habit that,instead of trying to shoot a missile when I know it won't come out,instead I shoot a Plasma Beam,even if it's small?You guys should already know that,if you're in that position and press B to shoot a plasma beam,since Samus automatically shoots it(unlike Mewtwo),she'll go in position to shoot it,land on the ground,but still shoot it without another press of B.I mean,it makes a small projectile come the opponent's way,maybe causing a change of plan.Is this a good habit,or should I do something else,like land without shooting a beam,then go on with mindgames,approaching,etc.?

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
sure it could be good, if it tricks them, and you can use that technique to your advantage, it could be used as a mind game.

Darr06

Smash Cadet
i say shoot the missile n e ways. most people will expect the missile to be coming ne way and will take advantage to the missile they thought would be coming. shooting a plasma beam is a good alternative but if you really want to mess with their heads alternate between the both of those options

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
No. Blasts don't cancel lag upon landing.

If you're too low to shoot a missile, then Waveland. You could still shoot a blast afterwards if you want, but landing with it doesn't help anything at all. Plus they are expecting a projectile to come at them (though a missile, not a blast) anyway so you shouldn't be catching them offgaurd with it.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it could be useful as a mindgame from time to time, but I would suggest to not let it become a habit. The better course of action is to of course keep practicing it, but unless you're really low from an aerial like you say you are, waveland -> missile.

3kay

Smash Cadet
I just like to jump again and then MC. but that's ok I guess. I don't like using it much because of the lag. and whenever I do, I messed up trying to MC.

Watty

Smash Lord
I dont think there is such a thing as a good habit because habits can lead to you getting owned.

Its good to do every once in a while but you should always mix it upkeep em guessing and what not

Deveyus

Smash Cadet
No NO NO!!! Thy'll find me if I tell you.
As I see it:

Serveral options are open to you when doing this, they include attempting to fire the missile ANYWAY, you'd be surprised what just the sound of the missile coming out can do to people. Fire the blast, blasts offer a handy amount of stun, but being so slow most people can avoid them without causing any interruption the same way that missiles do. Wavelanding is a decent option, but the direction I suppose would depend on who you are fighting, some characters it would be safe enough to waveland forward once in a while and throw a fsmash at 'em. You catch them off guard and get to enjoy a nice bit of space at all but the lowest damages. If they are really close there are other options, Lay a bomb and slide away or generate a ISH, or even simply throw another aireal, samus has options like no other so don't make a habit of doing anything assofar as moves.

Don't let them know what's coming until it's too late :)

Blue_Requiem

Smash Cadet
Hold on look, even though you shoot a small plasma beam out instead of a missile, what are the chances that you will hit the target? Because the beam is going so slow there is little to no chance of you hitting your target, unless it's a level 1 CPU or something. Instead of trying to shoot out a beam try and do something more constructive, like a wavedash when you hit the ground.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
Hold on look, even though you shoot a small plasma beam out instead of a missile, what are the chances that you will hit the target? Because the beam is going so slow there is little to no chance of you hitting your target, unless it's a level 1 CPU or something. Instead of trying to shoot out a beam try and do something more constructive, like a wavedash when you hit the ground.
just curious, how is doing a wavedash more constructive than firing an uncharged shot. wavedashing for no reason has the potential of 0 damage vs firing an uncharged shot has the potential of 3 damage.

Watty

Smash Lord
Its not evena bout the move hitting. By shooting the charge shot even though it might not hit ur opponent they have to now shield, jump, side step, retreat, or take the hit. they have to do something they dont want to do so as long as u cancel the lag by shooting it at the right time you can go on the offensive

Sudai

Stuff here
Can't cancel the lag on the charge shot.

If you're closer, a Waveland toward the opponent would be nice to open a combo or what have you.

Super Samus 99

Smash Apprentice
Well,could it be useful for when the opponent is off the stage?Or should I just waveland,then since I'm facing toward the edge,turn around,then wavedash->edgehog->etc.?Oh yeah,the plasma-instead-of-missile thing could be useful against a running Falcon who has bad reflexes and doesn't dodge good.:chuckle:

Blue_Requiem

Smash Cadet
I don't know how all of this new info came about, like with them off the stage and other things but i agree with what people are saying.You should definitely try and do as everyone is saying...I'm not going to repeat it though because it would make me sound stupid.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
i'd call DI a good habit
It is one,
somewhere on the forum is a sig with:
DI or DIE
it is true :p

ot:
Well, I don't do this. I just Waveland and do whatever I can to damage them further, as they probably are still suffering from the arial where you were talking about. I only use the chargebeam thrice a match max. After KOing someone charge it. Then keep it and use it at a moment you just discribed or another 90% chance hitting chance moment. I don't use it when not fully chargedm except maybe for turning around in the air (when recovering).

Top Bottom