• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this a common occurence on Smashboards?

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
I've only started using Smashboards 2 days ago (but I signed up a month ago). I've started battling people and the first two were really friendly. However, the third person I battled kept calling me garbage, even when I was winning. Not only that but when I started beating him consistently with my counterpick, he starts complaining that I'm spamming and that he was the one who was winning the matches (When in fact, I was not spamming and I was the one who was winning the matches). Then he claimed that he had replays to prove that he was winning. Since I knew this was false, I called him out on it. He then said that he actually doesn't have the replays and proceeds to call me a "fagatron". How often does this happen to you guys? What are your experiences? Hopefully I just got unlucky with this one guy and most other people I battle are gonna be friendlier.

Here's a link to the conversation: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ng-thread-find-opponents-here.340319/page-498

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
It really seems like you got the short end of the stick with this, but don't let it get you down. For the most part the smashboards community seems to be pretty good sports in my experience. There will always be bad apples, especially when it comes to online gaming, but don't let it ruin the bunch.

Also, I could be wrong, but from what I've observed the better players tend to be the nicer people too. So, as much as running into the occasional can be infuriating, improving seems to reduce run-ins with these kinds of people (maybe because the jerks can't get anyone to practice with them).

Now, with that said, the people who ARE flying off the handle tend to be doing it specifically to get under your skin and throw off your game. Thick skin and a few good wins can make this backfire hilariously as you watch their play degenerate in rage, but don't feel like you have to keep playing them. There are tons of people around to play with, one person you don't isn't a huge loss.

Finally, on this specific incident... look at the profile's age and post count. He or she has literally been here since TODAY. Expecting this person to be an accurate representation of the community as a whole is really a bit unrealistic. Not trying to sound critical with that last bit, just thought it might offer a bit of perspective if you hadn't noticed that small detail.

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
It really seems like you got the short end of the stick with this, but don't let it get you down. For the most part the smashboards community seems to be pretty good sports in my experience. There will always be bad apples, especially when it comes to online gaming, but don't let it ruin the bunch.

Also, I could be wrong, but from what I've observed the better players tend to be the nicer people too. So, as much as running into the occasional can be infuriating, improving seems to reduce run-ins with these kinds of people (maybe because the jerks can't get anyone to practice with them).

Now, with that said, the people who ARE flying off the handle tend to be doing it specifically to get under your skin and throw off your game. Thick skin and a few good wins can make this backfire hilariously as you watch their play degenerate in rage, but don't feel like you have to keep playing them. There are tons of people around to play with, one person you don't isn't a huge loss.

Finally, on this specific incident... look at the profile's age and post count. He or she has literally been here since TODAY. Expecting this person to be an accurate representation of the community as a whole is really a bit unrealistic. Not trying to sound critical with that last bit, just thought it might offer a bit of perspective if you hadn't noticed that small detail.
Ah, thank you for pointing that out. I actually already saw that he was new but I didn't take that into consideration as to why he was acting this way. I honestly appreciate your reply because it makes me more hopeful that things like this isn't common among Smashboards. I guess I just got unlucky.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I can't really say it's a common occurrence as I haven't Smashed with very many people here on SmashBoards just yet; however I can say you shouldn't let it get to you. There will always be a sore loser or two, or someone who has to start something.

From my experiences I've only Smashed with 2 people here so far, whom being @ Tha_Crystal_Gemz Tha_Crystal_Gemz & @SkiddySlipdown . They were both very respectable opponents and I had a great time with both of them. We even wished each other Good Games and complimented each others skill. I tend to see that most of the time when going to the NNID sharing thread in fact from many other players, so as @ SteadyDisciple SteadyDisciple had said you may of just gotten the bad pick in the bunch and don't be afraid to keep trying.

I don't typically join forums because I tend to be rather nervous, or feel like I won't stand out too much for others to care; however I can say that since joining I've had nothing but good experiences here. It's a very nice forum they have going here and I honestly wish I had the courage to join sooner rather than just lurk around for months. So yeah, don't let this bad experience affect you too much.

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
'kay, I read like 5 messages and got annoyed. Don't ever argue with anyone over a video game, it is beyond stupid and a waste of time. The minute someone spitefully SD's or uses the word "spam", just gtfo of there immediately, you'll only get a headache and will probably end up hating the game. This site is overall pretty great, but of course there will be some immature people. Don't let it bother you, just find someone better to play with like meeeee and have fun.

Last edited:

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
'kay, I read like 5 messages and got annoyed. Don't ever argue with anyone over a video game, it is beyond stupid and a waste of time. The minute someone spitefully SD's or use the word "spam", just gtfo of there immediately, you'll only get a headache and will probably end up hating the game. This site is overall pretty great, but of course there will be some immature people. Don't let it bother you, just find someone better to play with like meeeee and have fun.
Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely gonna try to work on keeping my composure when things like this happen. As for finding someone better to play with, can I play with you (on the 3DS version)? Although I should mention that I'm not that good.

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely gonna try to work on keeping my composure when things like this happen. As for finding someone better to play with, can I play with you (on the 3DS version)? Although I should mention that I'm not that good.
Doesn't matter your play level, all about fun for me. And yes, add my FC and I shall add yours. Let me know whenever you'd like to play.

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
Doesn't matter your play level, all about fun for me. And yes, add my FC and I shall add yours. Let me know whenever you'd like to play.
Wow, you're really good! Do you have any advice for me in terms of problems I need to work on? (I'm trying to get better and fighting you is really helpful)

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Sorry, I didn't mean to choose Corneria. I swore I chose something else...

Last edited:

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Wow, you're really good! Do you have any advice for me in terms of problems I need to work on? (I'm trying to get better and fighting you is really helpful)
Well, try to shake it up a little. Try to be a little predictable and keep the pressure up, don't back down. Hope that helps. lol And that SD was accidental, my thumb is raw from my jank circle pad. :v lol

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
GGs! I can definitely advise you to play patiently, that is very important.

Oh, I posted that the battle before last. Would love to keep playing but my thumb is run down to the bone. :c

But, for the record, you aren't as bad as you say. I think you punish really well, there were some dumb risks I was taking and you didn't let me get away with too many. I wish I could give you advice on the chars you mained, but I don't main them so you're better off going to the character discussions for each to learn some things about them.

Last edited:

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
GGs! I can definitely advise you to play patiently, that is very important.
Ok! And thanks again for battling me! I've honestly haven't had that much fun in a battle in a long time. The clever ways you used those turnips honestly surprised me. Any time you want to battle again, let me know!

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
@ Sir. Oosh Sir. Oosh

read my comment above, I didn't wanna keep double posting. :v Sorry I couldn't be much help regarding improvement.

Last edited:

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
@ Sir. Oosh Sir. Oosh

read my comment above, I didn't wanna keep double posting. :v Sorry I couldn't be much help regarding improvement.
Thanks! And I'll definitely check the character discussions. Also, the reason why I think I'm bad is because my For Glory win rate is something like 20%. But I'll definitely be practicing a lot! I really mean it!

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Thanks! And I'll definitely check the character discussions. Also, the reason why I think I'm bad is because my For Glory win rate is something like 20%. But I'll definitely be practicing a lot! I really mean it!
Don't bother with For Glory...Most of the players there have bad habits and will only hurt your gameplay. I recommend playing on here and/or smashladders for real challenges. Lol practice your heart outtttt, have fun furst.

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
Don't bother with For Glory...Most of the players there have bad habits and will only hurt your gameplay. I recommend playing on here and/or smashladders for real challenges. Lol practice your heart outtttt, have fun furst.
Hmm, I've never heard of Smashladders. I'll definitely have to go check it out. And thanks again for helping me out. I've been super determined to improve at Sm4sh recently so I really appreciate your advice.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
No, I've been lurking for years and it's mostly a nice community.
Also, I'd love to play you sometime, feel free to message me.

Top Bottom