• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there lag?

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I'm playing Project M on a 32 inch Toshiba hd tv with a wii connected by color stream cables my question is does the amount of input lag change with color stream cables as opposed to av

person66

Smash Cadet
I assume your asking about component vs composite? (Component is red green blue + red/white for audio, composite is yellow + red/white for audio).

As far as I know, it makes no difference. If you ever use a Wii to HDMI adapter though, that will cause some lag, as the Wii can't natively output to hdmi. Also, your tv itself will definitely have more lag than a crt, although depending on the TV it may be (arguably) unnoticeable.

Last edited:

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I assume your asking about component vs composite? (Component is red green blue + red/white for audio, composite is yellow + red/white for audio).

As far as I know, it makes no difference. If you ever use a Wii to HDMI adapter though, that will cause some lag, as the Wii can't natively output to hdmi. Also, your tv itself will definitely have more lag than a crt, although depending on the TV it may be (arguably) unnoticeable.
I didn't know the names of the cables yeah I only have component cables so it won't hook up to my crt. It's an hd tv from 2006 so it's probably analog sominimal amounts of input lag for hd tv. Anyways thank you for the help I really appreciate it.

person66

Smash Cadet
If it doesn't have the gigantic back and weigh a thousand pounds, then it doesn't matter how old it is, it's still gonna have lag, that's just how lcd (or led, plasma, whatever) panels work. The reason CRT is lag-free is because it literally just takes the signal from the cables and fires the electrons at the screen, there is no (or minimal) processing done, it is near-instantaneous. Any HDTV on the other hand, must first convert the analog signal to digital, which takes time. In fact, newer TVs will most likely have less lag, due to technological advances allowing the conversion to be done faster.

Of course, there are CRT HDTVs, although they are fairly rare. And even then, they may potentially be upscaling the image before displaying it, so it would still cause some lag.

Last edited:

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
If it doesn't have the gigantic back and weigh a thousand pounds, then it doesn't matter how old it is, it's still gonna have lag, that's just how lcd (or led, plasma, whatever) panels work. The reason CRT is lag-free is because it literally just takes the signal from the cables and fires the electrons at the screen, there is no (or minimal) processing done, it is near-instantaneous. Any HDTV on the other hand, must first convert the analog signal to digital, which takes time. In fact, newer TVs will most likely have less lag, due to technological advances allowing the conversion to be done faster.

Of course, there are CRT HDTVs, although they are fairly rare. And even then, they may potentially be upscaling the image before displaying it, so it would still cause some lag.
I know that crt's and some computer monitors are lagless and that HDTV's have input lag I was more or less asking this to know if I should buy the composite cables or not which I do.

Narpas_sword

Might want to fact check some things bud.

Older lcds don't tend to have as many processing features that add lag. Digital analog conversion isn't the only factor.

The only reliable way to know the lag is to measure it or find a database that has.

Inputlagdatabase is a good one.

And wii to hdmi might not add any lag, yes it has to convert the signal, but it means the TV doesn't. It would come down to whether the product designed for a specific purpose outdoes the TV's normal conversion.

There's no blanket rule.

person66

Smash Cadet
Might want to fact check some things bud.

Older lcds don't tend to have as many processing features that add lag. Digital analog conversion isn't the only factor.

The only reliable way to know the lag is to measure it or find a database that has.

Inputlagdatabase is a good one.

And wii to hdmi might not add any lag, yes it has to convert the signal, but it means the TV doesn't. It would come down to whether the product designed for a specific purpose outdoes the TV's normal conversion.

There's no blanket rule.
All good points, I was vastly oversimplifying. A lot of newer TVs that I have seen do have an actual game mode, which bypasses a lot of the processing stuff, allowing them to achieve relatively low lag. When I said it has to convert digital to analog, in my head I was including all the other processing that it does too, but yeah, probably should have specified. Also, I shouldn't have said that newer TVs would most likely be better. The technology has definitely improved compared to 5 or 10 years ago, and if manufacturers care about display lag then they should be able to shave a few ms off compared to older models, but my knowledge is mostly on computer monitors, which are often tailored to gamers. TV manufacturers probably don't care much about lag, as gamers aren't usually their primary market, so yeah, I see what you are saying, older TVs that don't have all the fancy stuff would most likely perform better than your average modern smart TV with all its heavy processing features.

As an owner of a wii to hdmi dongle, the cheaper ones at least definitely add lag. I can't say anything about the more expensive ones, but I suspect they would still have at least a little lag. Then you have to add any additional processing that the TV does on top of that.

You're definitely right though, there is no blanket rule. The main point of my post was just to address Gearitz saying that his tv is an "hd tv from 2006 so it's probably analog," which, unless it's a crt hdtv, can't really be true.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

I've got a couple of different wii to hdmi adapters, haven't tested them other than by feel, do you happen to have any data on them? Interested in the impact.

Top Bottom