• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any hope for me playing Netplay?

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
So I managed to download dolphin, get my GC controller adapter working with it and get going with Melee and Project M. However, my laptop, although new, is apparently terrible and cannot run the game at literally any acceptable framerate. However, I still really want to play, and unfortunately as a grad student I have no money to afford a new laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-15-f111DX-Touch-Screen-Laptop-Computer/dp/B00QHDO51E That is the current laptop I own. Is there any way I can reduce the graphical quality of Melee, or make it acceptable to play? Is there some tech way to get this to work?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Unfortunately AMD's mobile CPU's (their desktop ones too, to a lesser extent) are pretty bad for Dolphin because they lack single thread performance. I guess you could make sure that you're set to high performance under power options in Windows, but aside from that there's not really anything you can do. That CPU also has a clock speed of 2GHz which is really low. Sorry about that.

In the future you should probably save up to build a desktop pc. You can build a cheap one (around $400) that will run Dolphin flawlessly.

Pingasman2000

Smash Rookie
Good news, i have almost the same laptop as you and i can run melee at 60 fps (1v1 in most stages, FoD gives me problems doe) and project m at a pretty good frame rate, not perfect but playable, I will send you the configuration when i can, Project m runs at almost 60 fps althought it will look bad, and i mean bad, you also want to make sure that you set high performance under power options in windows

Now that i fully read your specs, you have 2GB more Ram, so you should be good

Last edited:

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
Good news, i have almost the same laptop as you and i can run melee at 60 fps (1v1 in most stages, FoD gives me problems doe) and project m at a pretty good frame rate, not perfect but playable, I will send you the configuration when i can, Project m runs at almost 60 fps althought it will look bad, and i mean bad, you also want to make sure that you set high performance under power options in windows

Now that i fully read your specs, you have 2GB more Ram, so you should be good
If you can send me info that would be awesome. In the meantime I went out and purchased a CRT so I could practice without Netplay, but I have like no one to play against here and I'm probably not good enough to do tourneys for Melee/PM. I'll most likely just go to a Sm4sh tourney and ask around and see if I can find someone to practice Melee/PM with there.

Y-L

Smash Champion
If you can send me info that would be awesome. In the meantime I went out and purchased a CRT so I could practice without Netplay, but I have like no one to play against here and I'm probably not good enough to do tourneys for Melee/PM. I'll most likely just go to a Sm4sh tourney and ask around and see if I can find someone to practice Melee/PM with there.
You shouldn't avoid tournaments because you don't think you're good enough, going to them is the best way to improve.

Pingasman2000

Smash Rookie
Ok, Here is the config i use
http://imgur.com/a/cSo7L

I hope it works for you, its around 55 to 60 FPS, pretty stable, FPS depend on map (most competitive stages will run well) and on number of players

btw, if you can get it to work, maybe we can play

Last edited:

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
You shouldn't avoid tournaments because you don't think you're good enough, going to them is the best way to improve.
I guess I don't mean it that way - I'm making myself go to more, however I haven't played Melee on a CRT in years, and I've never played PM on a CRT. I just bought one and it should be in thursday or friday and I plan on just practicing tech and playing CPU's at least for a month in order to get halfway decent, then going to some locals and even if I get rekt I can still hopefully find some people to train with.

However, I'll be doing some for Sm4sh just cause I have the setup for it and have been practicing it for months. I just am more interested in PM and Melee and want to get involved there more.

Ok, Here is the config i use
http://imgur.com/a/cSo7L

I hope it works for you, its around 55 to 60 FPS, pretty stable, FPS depend on map (most competitive stages will run well) and on number of players

btw, if you can get it to work, maybe we can play
I'm gonna try it out this weekend when I go home from college. I'll let you know how it works out. Thank you so much for the help!! :)

Top Bottom