• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there an up to date Samus guide?

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really been able to find a Samus guide that has all of the up to date info on the character. You guys seem to know about a lot of stuff that isn't in Aftermath's guide etc. How have you guys been learning the current Samus meta at the highest level? Have you all just been keeping up with each other on Smashboards through random individual threads for the last few years? Is there a completely up-to-date guide for Samus in the current meta for someone who already knows all the basics?

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
I haven't really been able to find a Samus guide that has all of the up to date info on the character. You guys seem to know about a lot of stuff that isn't in Aftermath's guide etc. How have you guys been learning the current Samus meta at the highest level? Have you all just been keeping up with each other on Smashboards through random individual threads for the last few years? Is there a completely up-to-date guide for Samus in the current meta for someone who already knows all the basics?
Your best bet is reading backwards through the general discussion thread.

@ Litt Litt You seem to be the most knowledgeable person on the current meta that frequently posts. Maybe you could point out some non-obvious current samus stuff like you did in your PM Samus post?

Litt

Samus
Your best bet is reading backwards through the general discussion thread.

@ Litt Litt You seem to be the most knowledgeable person on the current meta that frequently posts. Maybe you could point out some non-obvious current samus stuff like you did in your PM Samus post?
I mean meta for samus at the highest level is just knowing what to do and where, the best samuses know those scenarios and better options to take in those situations, and presto facto, they set the meta. Keeping up to date on it is simple just watching the videos uploaded to youtube constantly and seeing what choices other sami make in situations you recognize, and then you simply making the choice if you find what they did more advantageous than what you would have done, and then adapt that to your game plan if you do agree with their choices. The rest is just simply you as a player, how aggressive you are going to be, and how good your spacing is with the moves you choose. There isnt any revolutionary tech hidden in this boards that you will be able to drastically improve your game play with, just watch other players choices, and that isnt tech, that is just experience and strategy you can discern from watching others. Movement movement movement is the key, and how you do it makes you unique as a player, if you standaround waiting for your opponent to hit you, you will be playing pokemon, not smash, learn to evade and make your movement as fluid and crisp as you can, you dont need a guide for high level meta, just practice moving your character as if they were a book report and master it until its in muscle memory.

Me pointing out stuffz I can see in a video makes me unique from a data collection standpoint, and it is how I develop my own meta as player, if I just posted everything I do and can see, you would start playing as a clone version of my samus, which is not ideal in the least. I can see the little things in people's games, because of how much experience I have watching videos to discern strategy, intention and player psychology, hugs, duck, plup see what they see and how they interpret it comes out in their game play, that is what makes them, plup, duck, and hugs... and its what makes my samus "barbie", the rest is just being able to perform the execution of what you want to accomplish.

Last edited:

Corigames

Smash Hero
That depends, what do you mean by 'write-up for Samus' normals,' because that could be taken a lot of ways. For example, I don't think it's wise to jab unless you are doing the crouch trick to speed them up. Utilt is great for edgeguarding people that don't consistently sweetspot or recover from above. Ftilts can be angled for more precision (duh). Etc. However, these facts aren't universally true.

Almost any contextual use of moves in the current meta will completely revolve around stage choice, character matchup, and play style. I can tell you that keeping someone spaced with f-tilts is a solid strategy, but then I'd have to add an addendum that it doesn't work in X, Y, and Z matches or on M, N, O stages. Almost every piece of generalized information will require some mention of exception in order to make it practical information or maintain the integrity of the guide. This is why it's referred to as a guide and not a play book or strategy compilation. As with what Barbie said, after you understand the fundamentals the game opens up into a sandbox of varying player strategy, on-the-fly adaptation of your own play style, and a host of other factors that would be nearly limitless to go over in a single thread. For such nuanced inquiries, the discussion/critique threads would be more appropriate for learning what to do.

Now, with that said, I could improve upon the information I've gathered and would like to keep the Intro post relevant to members joining in at this point in the game. After browsing the thread yesterday I can already see some things I want to change/add/remove from the last time I updated it and wouldn't mind giving it another revisit. Also, I think that we have far too many outdated/unused sticky threads and it can be quite daunting to know where to start when you have to dig around for relevant information.

Also, I'd like to note that the Intro thread is headlined by AIDS, who has not edited that post in probably a good 7 years. It would be incredibly helpful if a mod or someone could delete or edit it with a spoiler so that the second post, mine (with more relevant info), could be more easily seen.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for your work on the intro guide. You're right that the kind of generalized information I was referring to isn't universally true. A list of move functions would be inadequate on its own. It would still be useful.

Eg, if someone were potentially writing a falco guide should they not mention how lasers are one of the strongest zoning tools in the game? Then when a noob starts spamming lasers and gets punished they'd either make their strategy deeper or ask someone why it didn't work and then make their strategy deeper. Like, they should still use lasers as a zoning option, they should still be told that, but the exact nuance of how and when is up to them to figure out.

It's also pretty common on pretty much every character board to have write ups like this, not to mention we already have one on the samus boards its just out of date.

People come into this game knowing nothing. Even match analysis is hard for new players. It'll help more than hurt to point them in the right direction.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Would you like me to add a section for each A move in the guide like I did her specials? I suppose that I can do. Though I think the info will be very general, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add in. Like I said, there's already things I see that I want to change.

Top Bottom