• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the plumber ready?

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Alright so now that we're at 3.0 and all the characters are in the game. It's time to ask a big question. Do you guys feel Mario 100% viable in this game and that his design doesn't need anymore tweaking? no clue myself as there are certain MUs I'm not 100% sure about but I think he's close.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think Mario's in a great spot. Definitely, at the BARE MNIMUM, above average. At best I'd rank him pretty high in terms of overall performance. He just does everything stellar like in Melee, except with improvements to gimping and kill power in a lot of areas, giving him the momentum he needs.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I think Mario's in a great spot. Definitely, at the BARE MNIMUM, above average. At best I'd rank him pretty high in terms of overall performance. He just does everything stellar like in Melee, except with improvements to gimping and kill power in a lot of areas, giving him the momentum he needs.
I think one thing that helps him is that instead of being average at everything he's above average on everything. I feel he's one of the best characters in the game.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
His fireball/pill set ups are his greatest tool imo

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I think one thing that helps him is that instead of being average at everything he's above average on everything. I feel he's one of the best characters in the game.
He's got some polar matchups here and there, both for and against him IIRC, but it's been a while. If you mean best overall at everything combined, possibly. One of the best in the game? Likely, to some degree. He's high up but I don't think he's ridiculously high. It's more his versatility that lets him actually perform and compete with those above him.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
He's got some polar matchups here and there, both for and against him IIRC, but it's been a while. If you mean best overall when it comes to a balance of things he can do, most likely. One of the best in the game? To some degree. He's high up but I don't think he's ridiculously high. It's more his versatility that lets him actually perform and compete with those above him.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
The only things he could be considered to be missing, would be just a few of the things doc has, that aren't on Mario. At this point, I don't see Mario getting much more or much less than he already has.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
He's got some polar matchups here and there, both for and against him IIRC, but it's been a while. If you mean best overall when it comes to a balance of things he can do, most likely. One of the best in the game? To some degree. He's high up but I don't think he's ridiculously high. It's more his versatility that lets him actually perform and compete with those above him.
What minor change do you think can put him in top tier? Because I agree that linking into kill moves can be difficult sometimes.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Any minor changes at all?
I was thinking slightly more growth on his up smash, down smash, fair, and f smash. Not a lot of growth just a little more. Or they can put less growth on the moves that lead to his finishers to make it easier to land them. I still think Mario's kill power is a little lacking but those small changes should be enough. Or they can ive him a better grab but I'm pushing it at this point lol

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
He shouldn't be able to throw fireballs out so fast (and they do 8% man), my only complaint. That trait should be given to Luigi instead. Other than that he's solid as can be.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Any minor changes at all?
I was thinking slightly more growth on his up smash, down smash, fair, and f smash. Not a lot of growth just a little more. Or they can put less growth on the moves that lead to his finishers to make it easier to land them. I still think Mario's kill power is a little lacking but those small changes should be enough. Or they can ive him a better grab but I'm pushing it at this point lol
I don't think Mario's kill power is lacking at all. Asides from maybe giving him Doc's UpB cancel, I wouldn't do anything else to him.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Mario has tons of kill power. I think he is a near perfect character. That doesn't necessarily make him the best, but he's super balanced and plays very intuitively.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Mario has tons of kill power. I think he is a near perfect character. That doesn't necessarily make him the best, but he's super balanced and plays very intuitively.
Well I think he's a perfect role model for how every character in PM should be like but since the top tiers aren't going to be nerfed then it is what it is

Top Bottom