• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is The Gamecube Controller Worth It?

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
So I wanted to get into Smash Ultimate not competitively but I guess more seriously online wise, I was wondering is the Gamecube controller worth it because I have neither the adapter or the controller and getting both of them will cost $50. I don't have that much experience with the Gamecube controller since i'm 17 so I never played Melee that much, and I played Brawl using mostly the Wiimote and nunchuck, and I played Smash 4 with the Gamepad. Is what people say about absolutely needing a Gamecube controller true or is it just mostly they feel use to controller after playing with it for so long, or does it actually provide you an in-game advantage by having less input lag. If I do get a Gamecube controller I would want to get a 1st party one as a lot of people say 3rd party Gamecube controllers are trash. I currently have for my Switch the Power A Legend of Zelda pro controller which people say is good. So would I be fine with that or would I absolutely need a Gamecube Controller to be able to fight better.

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Well, you could get GC controller and adapter for $50. or a pro controller for $60....

I seriously recommend either of these. A good controller is a must.

Also, 3rd party GC controllers are ABSOLUTE trash! Don't get them. I got one from Gamestop and it started seriously malfunctioning a week later.
At the same time, I've seen GC controllers that were over a decade old and work just fine. Moral of the story: If you go GC controller, go 1st party.

Edit: Oh. I just read that you have a pro controller. Use that. It's good. XD

Edit again: This might confirm the input lag thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGWCzuUMnxM&t=1s

It talks about it toward the end of the video just FYI.
Fast break version is that, apparently, the pro controller sometimes has a frame of input lag. Honestly I wouldn't sweat it, especially for online, lol.

Sorry for all the random, disconnected, poorly planned. information. Hope you like it XD

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
There's absolutely nothing inherently better about the Gamecube controller compared to the Pro Controller. Actually quite the opposite when looking at it objectively.

The reason Smash players love it so much (myself included) is because of familiarity. Smash fans have been using the damn thing since 2001, and it's been available for every Smash game since and it offers anything you'd want from a controller in a Smash context, so there's never been a reason to change. Some people might give you a few reasons why it's better, such as the octagonal shape in the control stick slot which helps it snap to specific directions, but really, it's all preference.

If you're not already used to Smash with a Gamecube controller, there's really no need to change and anyone who says otherwise is just lying. If you like the Pro Controller, use it.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I had a gc controller but the new pro is honestly great. Definitely going with the pro to keep everything to 1 controller.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Like others have said it's really familiarity. Since you've been switching controllers the last couple times, you could really go with anything. But arguably the pro controller and gc controller are more optimal.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
There's absolutely nothing inherently better about the Gamecube controller compared to the Pro Controller. Actually quite the opposite when looking at it objectively.

The reason Smash players love it so much (myself included) is because of familiarity. Smash fans have been using the damn thing since 2001, and it's been available for every Smash game since and it offers anything you'd want from a controller in a Smash context, so there's never been a reason to change. Some people might give you a few reasons why it's better, such as the octagonal shape in the control stick slot which helps it snap to specific directions, but really, it's all preference.

If you're not already used to Smash with a Gamecube controller, there's really no need to change and anyone who says otherwise is just lying. If you like the Pro Controller, use it.
As a casual player, I can actually list several design elements that make it superior to any other controller for Smash.

Analog shoulder buttons is something no other controller has, for more sensitive shield control.

Face button layout is one that’s usually overlooked, but it’s easily one of the best things about the GameCube controller for Smash. Your thumb rests on A button, and merely has to swivel from side to side to hit Y or B, the other two primary buttons. With a more traditional setup, you have to reach UP to hit a third button, which is less convenient.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
N64 controller is the best controller for Smash. They need to bring it back.

Shroob

Sup?
Does the WiiU GC Adapter work with the Switch, or do you need to wait for the new one they're making?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Does the WiiU GC Adapter work with the Switch, or do you need to wait for the new one they're making?
The old one works.

Though I suppose they could make a new one that would support eight controllers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It all depends on the individual, but since there are wired pro controllers that you can purchase, it's probably not worth the effort to buy a GameCube controller, and its required adapter. After all, if I recall correctly, the GameCube controller's Control Stick is more prone to become wobbly than the Wii U Pro Controller's Control Sticks.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, If you don't have much experience using a GC controller, I wouldn't reccomend getting one. Its very different from other standard controllers and it might take quite some time before getting use to it. A friend of mine tried using one and she couldn't get use to the feel of it because she was so use to using more standard controllers like dualshock and pro controller. Get a pro controller instead. It's a bit more pricey but less risky of a purchase.

Hori makes great 3rd party GC controllers actually. Their controllers are top notch and their the best when it comes to third party controllers overall.

Last edited:

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
lol... no but really the n64 controller was never meant for human hands. my palms are still raw and red to this day. curse you mario party QAQ
They just need to update the joystick. It was the first joystick they ever made and it wasn't perfect.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They just need to update the joystick. It was the first joystick they ever made and it wasn't perfect.
And yet this one did it better before the N64 was released.

I adore many N64 games, but I enjoy playing them so much more on a GCN controller in virtual console.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Objectively, the pro controllers are superior. The extra and more responsive(no spring) shoulder buttons mean new options for control, AND more reliability on old ones.

There's also the new Jump + Attack = Shorthop aerial mechanic, which may translate to specials too. Meaning shorthop specials will be easier, but on the old GC controllers, the space between the Y/X buttons and the B buttons would still leave it awkward.

The only reason GCN may be superior, is by somehow having superior response time, or the actual control stick sizes being awkward. (Though the Third* party PowerA controllers are adjustable. And are nintendo licensed with easily comparable quality)

Top Bottom