• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Sonic overrated?

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
First, I think the super sonic is just pitiful. It is boring to watch, and after I saw it once, I was like, ok, when is this going to end?
Boring to watch is a bad reason. If you want to look at it in a generalization like you seem to be, it's a better version of Volt Tackle.

Megaman is overrated. Sonic is the ideal third-party character.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
^^You did it AGAIN.

Either way, this topic is entirely a matter of opinion, so here's mine: Sonic is very much underrated, not only by gaming magazines, but by Sega itself. 'What the hell does that mean, flathead', you ask? What that means is that I feel there's a lot more potential for Sonic, in respect to both his abilities and his character. This incredible potential is what makes it so much to write him (I do fanfiction), and the same is true for most of his supporting cast.

But I do think that there are people who overrate him.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
^^You did it AGAIN.

Either way, this topic is entirely a matter of opinion, so here's mine: Sonic is very much underrated, not only by gaming magazines, but by Sega itself. 'What the hell does that mean, flathead', you ask? What that means is that I feel there's a lot more potential for Sonic, in respect to both his abilities and his character. This incredible potential is what makes it so much to write him (I do fanfiction), and the same is true for most of his supporting cast.

But I do think that there are people who overrate him.
lol, blame my work computer. sometimes it freezes for a second and i cant tell if i posted or not.

i agree with you, though. people both over and underrate him. however, i think we all can agree he is an iconic character we all grew up loving. oh, and fanfiction? lmao i hadnt heard anyone mention that site in 5 years.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
lol, blame my work computer. sometimes it freezes for a second and i cant tell if i posted or not.

i agree with you, though. people both over and underrate him. however, i think we all can agree he is an iconic character we all grew up loving. oh, and fanfiction? lmao i hadnt heard anyone mention that site in 5 years.
Don't hurt my feelings. Writers are fragile like that. :laugh:

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
it does seem more work was put into snake then sonic. but i guess thats because of why each one was put in brawl.

sonicspeed 96

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think Sonic's overrated.
The only thing that made me pretty mad was the FS.
I mean c'mon I don't wanna kill anyone in FS mode unless I actually have to do something in it.
Not just move around and if you get touched you fly off the screen.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
I don't really think Sonic's overrated.
The only thing that made me pretty mad was the FS.
I mean c'mon I don't wanna kill anyone in FS mode unless I actually have to do something in it.
Not just move around and if you get touched you fly off the screen.
Well, I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I don't see any other way to implement Super Sonic besides a finishing move. Maybe as a down-special or something that makes you dizzy after a few seconds like Dragon Install (GGXX). But that would have been kind of awkward, you know? On the other hand, I feel that Super Sonic's been used so often as a finisher that it's lost all its edge. Wouldn't the final boss in Sonic 06 have been more exciting if you'd been able to destroy him with regular Sonic? More tension = more awesome.

In the moveset I made up for him during the summer, I speculated that his Final Smash would be a massively enhanced version of his down-b, which I had surmised to be a cyclone. An anti-air attack that covers a lot of ground and pulls enemies in. It would have been the Shin Shoryuken to Mario's Shin Hadoken. I surmised this because I like Sonic better than Super Sonic, and the Chaos emeralds + smash ball = overkill. But that's just me.

Does that final smash seem like what you were talking about, Sonicspeed?

Top Bottom