• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 3ds Done with Tournaments??

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
Now that Smash 4 wiiU is out, all the main tournaments that they were doing for 3ds, are being done for wiiU now. Is this just because people want to play the newer release (i mean, 3ds has been out for almost 4 months now) or has Smash bros. for 3ds been erased from the minds of TO's and stream channels. Let me know what you guys think. Cause the two renditions of the games are still very different, and I for one would love to see sash 3ds tournaments in the near future.

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
Also it's kinda insulting that at Apex next year they are going to host Brawl tournaments, but not 3ds ones... idk, just me. just wanna see some love for both games equally.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "the two renditions of the game are 'very different'". Just what are the difference between the two, gameplay-wise?

Also, you can edit your post instead of double posting.

Last edited:

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
The Stages are different, the Vectoring, lol now i just sound silly XD but there is the fact that more people have a 3ds than wii U (and while they could just buy a GC controll) how would they practice? there are also differences in a lot of the characters attacks and how much damage/knockback they deal resulting in a different game when it comes to a meta. so there are my findings.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I think it's just a lot easier to play competitively on the Wii U version than the 3DS version. You don't have to learn a new control scheme, online tournaments will soon be a thing, there are a lot more viable stages, and it's easier to fight on a larger screen for some people.

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
I think it's just a lot easier to play competitively on the Wii U version than the 3DS version. You don't have to learn a new control scheme, online tournaments will soon be a thing, there are a lot more viable stages, and it's easier to fight on a larger screen for some people.
i know why wii U tournaments are prefered (heck even I prefer them) but it still doesnt feel right... idk XP

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure nothing will stop people from bringing their 3DSs to tournaments and having friendlies / side matches when all the Wii U setups are in use, but I think that competitively, most people will prefer the Wii U.

Rather than thinking of them as two different games, think of it as having two different platforms for the same game: Smash 4. Naturally, the better platform for tournaments is the console version, and the handheld will have it's own uses.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
3DS is still alright, people are still doing tourneys and stuff for it. It's good because it's more accessible than the Wii U version with costs almost double if you need a Wii U on top of it.

D

Deleted member 245254

Even if the two games weren't basically identical in gameplay mechanics, equipment for streaming 3DS is generally 10x more of a hassle than equipment for streaming console devices (most of which work universally). You could call it a choice of glaring convenience if nothing else would convince you such as way better watch-ability due to enhanced 1080p graphics and resolution, and the ability to circumvent wireless lag.

There's really no reason to stream the 3DS version over the Wii U version unless it's the only choice you have available. The 3DS version has its place in the stars and our collections but that doesn't make it a more potent stream monster.

Last edited by a moderator:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Something I was afraid of happening as well, but unfortunately inevitable.

Wii U is, like @Zipzo perfectly said is "a choice of glaring convenience".

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
When the 3DS version came out, I got it and went to a tournament that first weekend. I was extremely disappointed with the amount of lag that happened just playing locally. I haven't had a desire to enter a 3DS tournament sense, but I'm still very excited to play in Wii U tournaments(played my first one today and it was a blast).

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
i see all these make sense and now my original statement sounds ludicrous...... alright I'm out *poof* (smokebomb)

Top Bottom