• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is SHFFL of any use with Samus?

Page Won

Smash Rookie
SHFFL, does Samus need it? I've definitely noticed that you can hit someone with nair if say you miss and kick above them, they think you missed, but then you fast fall and it actually hits them. People start to adapt to this but I think it's kinda funny the first time, but anyways, is this where SHFFL comes into play? Samus has a very high and slow short hop, you're not gonna SHFF with up air or down air, and you don't at all need to with zair. I feel like overall approaching from the air with Samus is pretty bad, so what's the use of the SHFFL?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
MC > SHFFL Dair is one way to punish spacies for spamming reflector. That's one utility I've seen for Samus's SHFFL.

For the most part, though, it's not huge. All of Samus's aerials end well before she lands from a short hop, and since she usually uses her aerials for air-to-air, she's doing them early in the jump, so she rarely encounters landing lag, unless she's doing a sh double aerial, and in that case you don't want to fast fall unless you know the aerial's hitbox is going to come out.

All in all, you've got a good instinct on Samus's jump-in ability not being particularly strong, at least with fire mode. You want to be poking and trading with tilts and smashes mostly. If you think your opponent's going to try to jump in, then you can sh and challenge with an aerial.

Litt

Samus
MC > SHFFL Dair is one way to punish spacies for spamming reflector. That's one utility I've seen for Samus's SHFFL.

For the most part, though, it's not huge. All of Samus's aerials end well before she lands from a short hop, and since she usually uses her aerials for air-to-air, she's doing them early in the jump, so she rarely encounters landing lag, unless she's doing a sh double aerial, and in that case you don't want to fast fall unless you know the aerial's hitbox is going to come out.

All in all, you've got a good instinct on Samus's jump-in ability not being particularly strong, at least with fire mode. You want to be poking and trading with tilts and smashes mostly. If you think your opponent's going to try to jump in, then you can sh and challenge with an aerial.
well there are actually a few approaches you can do that are kinda safe, shff late nair l canceled on shield is +1, which you can then go into jab pressure, Facing opponent, shfflc dair is safe into jabs if you space the ending of the dair to hit the beginning of their shield, and fast fall up air past shield into upsmash or dsmash so you are facing back to back

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Not to say those aren't all viable options, but they are fairly easily challenged. Except for shffl dair, they're usually best as a way to cover your butt if you tried to a2a nair, but your opponent didn't jump. If they didn't expect the first nair, then you can keep them honest by late nairing on shield or whatever. I did cover that with SH double aerials, though.

Samus is weird.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Lack of SHFFLing is a reason I like to play samus. I am not good at it.

On a side note, does anyone else notice how hard it is to tell if you L-cancelled when u do SHFFL with samus? Any time I land in the middle of a nair I can barely notice a difference.

Narpas_sword

iirc, samus has 7 frames of landing lag on a successful L canceled aerial. Which is not a lot of time to see if youve done it right if you're looking for the white flash.

with experience you should be able to tell though

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
7 frames when L-canceled is correct, as opposed to the normal 15 frames. Try to do a nair without fast falling, and then don't L-cancel it as the animation is still going, and you'll see a very fluid animation where Samus returns to her idle state. If you L-cancel, it'll look like a rushed, abrupt animation that isn't necessarily as smooth or natural looking.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
iirc, samus has 7 frames of landing lag on a successful L canceled aerial. Which is not a lot of time to see if youve done it right if you're looking for the white flash.

with experience you should be able to tell though
I can tell, its just annoying when your practicing L-cancels in repetition and at the same time squinting to see if you did it right. I might download the 20XX hack pack soon to make it easier, ive seen this thing where your whole character turns red when you miss one. It seems useful.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
If you want to practice annoying L-cancels, try to grind out consistent platform canceled nairs. That will drive you insane.

Litt

Samus
If you want to practice annoying L-cancels, try to grind out consistent platform canceled nairs. That will drive you insane.
If you want consistent L cancels, Fast fall fair L cancel into isai drop fast fall fairs, you get the timing down for that, work on fast fall up airs l cancel on platform isai dropped into fast fall up air, and you will never have a problem with l canceling again

Narpas_sword

Also remember that timing is different on hit, and different again on hitting shield.

So practice against a player or sandbag for pm hit,
And use starman in training mode to simulate a shielding opponent

Top Bottom