• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is sexuality a choice?

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I'm going to say beforehand, if this is already an existing topic that has died a long time ago, I apologize in advanced.

As somebody who considers themselves bisexual, I honestly don't even know.

I feel like I could say that might have something to do with a few developments that have happened to me, but a good friend of mine (Who also happens to be my ex) who is homosexual himself says that it is a choice.

However I've heard that (apparently) there is scientific evidence that it is not a choice, although I haven't looked into this evidence myself, so it is something I take with a couple of grains of salt.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
I think thats a common question for Bisexuals, from what most my bi friends tell me.

I don't think its a choice, im hetero and never felt attracted to any male.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Your friend is either screwing with you, or is out of his damn mind.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Great question! Quite the baffler, too. As far as my knowledge reaches, I don't believe that sexuality is a choice. I can't really explain it, but it's like a feeling. Right from the start you should already know what sex you like. If you ever do doubt your sexuality, you can always try a sexuality test. I hope that my answer will clear some confusion.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
'Cause it's very evidently not a choice.

We might as well be discussing whether or not the sky is blue.

How about, just as a fun little experiment, you, right now, choose to be attracted to someone you weren't prior and see if you find success.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I don't know how you can deny that sexual orientation is genetic when there's really obvious common sense things about it.

I, for example, did not choose to be bisexual. I didn't one day wake up when I was eight and say "Gee, I love boobies" or "Gee, I love scrawny guys". It's just something that's ingrained into you, you can't really control it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The idea that one can choose their sexual preference is nothing more than a silk screen for homophobes to decry homosexuality as abnormal thinking. Though it's agreed in some cultures that it's a sin to act on homosexual impulses (to which I disagree - **** who you want) even they don't deny that it's a part of one's nature, not a conscious decision.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Yes and no.
No because, ultimately, the sexuality you are born with is what it is.
Yes because you actually have a choice here...
To submit yourself to social "normalcy", or to choose what makes you happiest.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Sexuality is not a choice. This shouldn't even be a hot button topic today. The other people who give credence to this illogical presupposition are conservative homophobes who feel grossed out by the thought of this precisely like a kindergartner feels about cooties. Therefore, they, due to their inherent knee-jerk psychological aversion, make up crap such as "it's not God's way" in an attempt to ostracize homosexual individuals who want nothing more than to live like the heterosexuals in their own community. In essence, homophobes are juvenile, psychologically insecure, deceitful, backward and detrimental to society.

Last edited:

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
The only thing that makes me feel confident that sexuality is a choice is because I don't understand why somebody choose to be persecuted really.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
They would probably choose to be persecuted because having sex or having a love interest is more important to them then being socially accepted.
That or they just flat out don't care about being persecuted at all.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The only thing that makes me feel confident that sexuality is a choice is because I don't understand why somebody choose to be persecuted really.
Nothing points to sexuality being a choice. At most, one can discern that public displays of homosexual affection and fighting for gay rights are choices, but the sexuality aspect is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom