• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Puff Worth it?

DifferentTurret

Smash Rookie
NNID
DifferentTurret
I'm a new smash player (I've played for one and a half years now but only within the past few months have I really tried to get competitive). I've cycled through a lot of mains, and I've found that one of the two characters that ultimately feels the best is Jigglypuff, the other being Fox.

I've only been to a single tournament and my contact with other players that are anywhere close to my level is very limited, as I only have my friends who are very casual and don't want to play very often because I always win. However, I only really win because I have decent tech and knowledge of the game, not because I mentally outplayed them by any means.

After a year of playing CPUs, I am trying to use Anther's Ladder (and maybe some video studying) to really bring up my mental game. It will be a long process but I am absolutely confident that if I put in the work I'll see improvement, especially with a biweekly that I can occasionally attend less than 30 minutes away.

However, I've read multiple comments about how Puff's learning curve is extraordinarily steep and how it takes an extraordinarily long time to see improvement. I think Puff is a better character for me than Fox, even though Puff's playstyle is less aggro and I prefer to play aggressively. She feels good enough that I think with good spacing and practice I could have her fit my playstyle without issue. An additional benefit is that since my only reliable source of practice is Anther's Ladder (with a biweekly Melee tournament near me that I can occasionally go to), Puff's lack of rigorous tech skill will still let me play her (ideally, I recognize netplay still has many issues but it's currently all I have).

That being said, it's extremely important to me that I see improvement in my game, and I don't know if I have the motivation to go so long without seeing some improvement. I want to know if, in you guys' experience, Puff has been worth the high learning curve, and if you think it's worth it in my situation. One thing I considered is dual maining Puff and Fox (or perhaps someone else) but if it's simply best to go one or the other, then I'd rather do that.

If Puff is worth it, what's the most important thing to learn before anything else?

Mtank

Smash Cadet
With your given situation, I think puff would be a great fit. Netplay allows you to work on neutral which is perhaps the most important aspect of puffs game, other than maybe punish game. Puffs punish game is pretty simple but it takes a decent amount of time to get that muscle memory good enough so that you won't miss rests and die. If you want quick improvement melee isn't your game but of you're dedicated enough, you can improve immensely, even with puff. Also remember to always play to learn, rather than win. Winning doesn't matter in the long run if you didn't learn anything, except just boost your ego. Learn from your wins, learn from your losses, ask questions, and have fun exploring the least developed top tier in the game.

Last edited:

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
I don't use netplay, but if most of your training is on netplay wouldn't that throw off your rest timings for local play?

Is Puff worth it? Only you can answer that question for yourself. How much do you enjoy playing her? That's the only thing that matters. For what it's worth I also don't think it takes any longer to see improvement with Puff than any other character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom