• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is playing against n00bs bad for you?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Almost every smasher i know (personally) is a n00b of some sort. Is it detrimental to my skills to play against them a lot, like playing agaisnt lvl9's?

While playing agaisnt lvl9's is VERY BAD, playing agisnt n00bs cant be that bad, can it?

Corigames

Smash Hero
No no no, playing against n00bs is an ok thing. Given, it would be better to play good players, but at least with this you can practice mind-games and AT without having to worry much about recoil from trying.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
You can't compare any human player, even a first time player, to a CPU of any level. My little sister does better against me then a lvl 9 computer.

I think, as long as you consciously don't develop patterns (for example, let's say you know that every time your opponent is falling on your head, they'll try to hit you with their dair unvariably. Don't shieldgrab it every time, even though you could. Dashdance out sometimes, try to outprioritize it sometimes if your utilt/uair allow it, try to shield, then upB/usmash/aerial out of shield, whatever. Don't do the same thing every time).

Playing against other players can't be bad, really. I play against noobs all the time, and I feel I'm getting better. Of course, I'm probably still a noob right now, which is why I'm getting better. You will stop getting better playing against them at some point, but I don't think you'll ever get worse.

EDIT: Teach the noob how to tech, then practice tech-chasing off of throws :p

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
n00bs can be helpful to play against.

one of the most important aspects of playing melee, if not THE most important, is punishing people for their mistakes. learn what you can capitalize on, and exploit exactly what sucks / is illogical about their game.

EX: this person always rolls toward me after they land from a jump
Solution: wait for them to make the mistake -> punish

then, you can do one of two things. tell the n00b what ur capitalizing on and suggest they dont do that move / mistake anymore in that situation.

or, dont tell them and keep punishing them. some people are annoying and fun to punish, like a sibling or rival. others u may want to help, like ur friend. depends on who ur playing i guess...

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
A good thing is playing against the most people as possible. Practicing with alot of different people, noobs or not, will help develop your mindgames as well as how to adapt. People often have different play styles, so if you practice hardcore against only one person will often get you to do the same moves against everyone else. You have to learn to adapt to different playstyles, noobs can help you with that.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I would rather play against noobs then a lvl9 computer. Even noobs have common sence that a computer doesn't. For example, against a computer, you can charge up a smash attack and they will walk into it. But a noob knows a bit better then that. Noobs know that running in to attack you isn't always the smartest thing. Computers don't.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
n00bs are handyful because you can practice new stratergies and techniques. I always try new things when I play against n00bs.

Mars-

Smash Champion
n00bs are handyful because you can practice new stratergies and techniques. I always try new things when I play against n00bs.
Yeah. This is why computers are bad, because they don't stop attacking you. You can almost just sit there and forward smash to 4 stock them with 0% damage.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yes, but every knows that Level 9 CPU's are cheap for a number of reasons:

They keep on doing their 'a' attacks while walking towards you so it's annoying.
They grab you whenever you shield.
They taunt when you self destruct or do nothing.
They always powershield so projectiles are nearly useless.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I find playing noobs to be detrimental to my speed and mentality. You can only effectively fight stupid with stupid -- get used to playing like that and you'll end up playing stupid when you actually need to step up your game. Hell, I refuse to play any major noobs as it has proven very harmful to my ability.

I believe it was Douglas Adams who coined the word "aboyne" (pronounced uh-boin), meaning to, in a contest of skill, play immensely stupid against a superior opponent so all their clever strategies don't work. It definitely applies here.

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
When I play against n00bs, as most people do, it is very beneficial, because I train every n00b I play. It also gives me a chance to vary my strategies against certain opponent characters (I main Sheik, Fox, and Falco BTW), so I know what to expect.

As with...let's say, a Level 9 computer, they continuously attack you so you can't develop a plan against it. For example, a Level 9 Falco will usually laser attack or A attack. Those computers are also REALLY predictable. Although n00bs tend to do as bad as computers, at least they possess the knowledge to think "Oh, s/he's charging a very powerful attack. Why don't I step away from it?" Whereas the computer would think, "KILL KILL KILL." And undoubtedly charge at you.

Although I highly regret playing n00bs, they have the potential to be learned, and maybe become a better opponent to you in the future.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
People covered the most important parts, like not developing rigid habbits and trying out new techniques. I would like to add that if you do feel that you are much better than your opponents then you should change your goal when playing against them. Rather than just winning, try to win by a large margin. Figure out what "n00b" attacks they are doing are hitting you. After all, if they are much worse than you they shouldn't be hitting you that often.

Often times when a beginner starts to get better they will figure out something that "works" against you. Most of the time it's agrivating because you will think "i'm better than that" but what you need to realize is that the noob found one of your weaknesses. This is really important, because if a noob can do it to you an experience player sure as hell can do it better.

Make your goal 4stocking them if you feel you are that much better. It's when you get wreckless and just start attacking that you become sloppy and worse at the game.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
A big thing with noobs that hasn't been mentioned yet is actually learning to play them. I believe it's Kieper who always plays against the likes of KSSB and other higher-level competitors, and so he's come to know what to do against sh-lasering and whatnot, but then often at the tournaments he ends up losing for rediculous reasons to lesser skilled players, mostly because they don't do the high-end strategies he's used to. (Or so I'm told...)

So as long as you can retain your A-game for the tournaments, playing noobs will help you adapt your strategies so that you don't fall victim to that aboyne or whatever.

Heck, noobs can even help - from playing Tar and myself, KSSB has become better at predicting rolls, because we rolled so often (stupid lv. 9 tendacies >.<), and it has played to his advantage against Black Hayate at least once so far :p

Top Bottom