• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Pikachu one of the most technical character in the game ?

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
I know some of you might not agree, but let's think about it.

Playing Pikachu competitively might not require insane technical skills, but it requires a LOT of consistency.
If you mess up, you can simply lose a whole set.
Quick Attack cancels (they usually lead in punishes or in death), Quick Attacks in general (upb ending up being a sideb is a heartbreaker), RAR thunder, etc...

So, do you think Pikachu, because of the technical consistency needed and how bad a misinput can affect a set, is one of the most technical character to play at a competitive level ?

I'm not even really talking about my own experience, if people think I'm trying to make excuses or whatever, but that's kind of what I've been starting to think when watching Pika plays at top level.

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Maybe not the most "technical," but yeah probably the character that needs the most consistency. He's the definition of a "high risk, high reward" character. His general gameplay doesn't allow for any mistakes. I mean a simple dash attack on shield can make you lose your stock. Definately a hard character at top levels. I feel like he's defiantly top tier, but doesn't get results due to human error.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, that's basically makes him very technical lol.

Last edited:

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Maybe not the most "technical," but yeah probably the character that needs the most consistency. He's the definition of a "high risk, high reward" character. His general gameplay doesn't allow for any mistakes. I mean a simple dash attack on shield can make you lose your stock. Definately a hard character at top levels. I feel like he's defiantly top tier, but doesn't get results due to human error.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, that's basically makes him very technical lol.
Yeah, I kinda feel that's why so many top players don't play Pika. There are some better chars that are easier to play, and ESAM loses SO MANY games because of technical flubs...

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Yeah, I kinda feel that's why so many top players don't play Pika. There are some better chars that are easier to play, and ESAM loses SO MANY games because of technical flubs...
That's basically why I feel that a bidou pika is the way to go. RAR Thunder is easier with special stick too. Other top players agree too.

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
That's basically why I feel that a bidou pika is the way to go. RAR Thunder is easier with special stick too. Other top players agree too.
Yeah, ESAM and Captain L are starting to use Bidou with Pika.
I'm kinda thinking about it, but my Smash basics are pretty lacking and I don't think it's a good idea yet. Also, Bidou on a GC controller is kinda hard to get used to

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Yeah, ESAM and Captain L are starting to use Bidou with Pika.
I'm kinda thinking about it, but my Smash basics are pretty lacking and I don't think it's a good idea yet. Also, Bidou on a GC controller is kinda hard to get used to
Honestly now would be the perfect time to use bidou. It's kinda like learning a language: it's easy when you're young but hard when you're older and already know a different language. If you're still learning smash basics switching to bidou now would be easier than waiting till later imo.

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Honestly now would be the perfect time to use bidou. It's kinda like learning a language: it's easy when you're young but hard when you're older and already know a different language. If you're still learning smash basics switching to bidou now would be easier than waiting till later imo.
I see. Well, I guess trying won't hurt :p

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I see. Well, I guess trying won't hurt :p
A good way to learn Bidou is to use the controls, but don't actually turn on Bidou in a game until after a few days at least. That makes it less overwhelming. Now I'm so used to the Bidou controls that I play tilt-stick on my secondaries by switching the C-stick to tilt and changing none of the buttons.

Also, any idea what controls ESAM uses? I prefer special on R on GCC and I press it with my middle finger. I tried L, but it really messed with my control stick use, and I reserved Z for attack.

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
A good way to learn Bidou is to use the controls, but don't actually turn on Bidou in a game until after a few days at least. That makes it less overwhelming. Now I'm so used to the Bidou controls that I play tilt-stick on my secondaries by switching the C-stick to tilt and changing none of the buttons.

Also, any idea what controls ESAM uses? I prefer special on R on GCC and I press it with my middle finger. I tried L, but it really messed with my control stick use, and I reserved Z for attack.
No idea, I'm not sure he ever talked about his controls.
Maybe on stream...

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that !
If I may ask, what are yours ?

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
No idea, I'm not sure he ever talked about his controls.
Maybe on stream...

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that !
If I may ask, what are yours ?
Gamecube Controller, L = shield, R = special, Z = attack, Y = jump, X = grab, A/B default, C-stick = special
Tap Jump On

I still use Y to jump a lot of the time, but I really like tap jump with bidou because holding R-stick disables Tap Jump and cancels hull hop into short hop whenever you want. You can do short hop uair (RAR or regular) really quickly with Tap Jump on in Bidou. It makes QAC easier as well on stages where it works.

Imo if you don't want Tap Jump on, my setup is ok, but another option is L = attack, Z = jump, Y = shield. I don't find the perfect pivot shield or dodge techs to be that useful for Pikachu.

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
I know he uses X as his special button instead of B. I think L for "bidou special" but not sure

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I've been toying a bit with Bidou and i'm quite enjoying it. The first direction for Quick attack is helped massively because you don't have to move the left stick from up to whatever direction you need. One thing i'm concerned about is the loss of easy up tilts. My current control setup is as such:

L = Special
C Stick = Special
Z = Attack
X = Grab

Tap Jump on

All other buttons remain the same

Last edited:

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I've been toying a bit with Bidou and i'm quite enjoying it. The first direction for Quick attack is helped massively because you don't have to move the left stick from up to whatever direction you need. One thing i'm concerned about is the loss of easy up tilts. My current control setup is as such:

L = Special
C Stick = Special
Z = Attack
X = Grab

Tap Jump on

All other buttons remain the same
To do an easy utilt, hold R-stick in any direction and input the utilt (with Bidou on). If you're in a neutral position, I'd suggest R-stick up because it won't make you move at all. R-stick stops you from tap jumping. This is especially easy for PP utilt because you could be holding R-stick for PP already.

Top Bottom