• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ness Offically Gone?

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
I have been watching some smash videos a lot on youtube and realized there is no Ness players. I have not seen any since smash in 08. I mean I play Ness sometimes and I personally think he is a fun character to play and has potential. Although he is not good against Marth and Shiek. So whats up with no more Ness players anymore?

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Basically the amount of tech skill, precision and knowledge required to play him even remotely close to a competitive level is not worth the effort to many players. And usually Ness players never seem to catch a break from getting dumpstered on stream and whatnot, so that discourages people even more. He doesn't really have any novelty factor like Pichu or Kirby to generate hype and his gimp-ability is very anticlimactic.

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
Not gone, just under-represented, as for any low or mid tier character, at least in terms of (streamed) tournament play. Maybe also somewhat untapped, too, I think he can be pushed harder, but it's just quite tough to do with him due to the tech necessary and his limitations, as Mofo and others are currently doing.

stickmantankguy

Smash Rookie
There are Ness players. Ness players just need to A) Get better. B) Go to tournament. C) Go to tournaments again.
Yeah legit this is the answer. The reason Ness players aren't making it big is mainly because of poor fundamentals, and the best way to build those are by going to tournaments. Due to Ness's lack of range, people REALLY need to know how to approach when your opponent is in shield, in neutral, on the offense, or any other thing. And without good spacing, mind games, and overall consistency (which are best developed in tournament settings), Ness players won't make it far.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, Ness players may not make it far anyway. He may deserve a bit higher on the tier list (in my opinion), but once a single Ness player makes a splash, people will get matchup knowledge, making our job harder. Other character boards are doing exactly what Ness boards are: trying to optimize their character and theory-craft. Some of his hitboxes are awful and his options in the neutral game are minimal in comparison to other players. I want people to play Ness like me for sure, but I do not want to pretend that other characters have better options.

The answer will always be to play better. Get perfect execution and take some risks (other than picking Ness in the first place). Hone skills at tournaments and in friendlies. Let's have some fun evolving Ness and moving him up in the world.

PSI-Apocalypse

Smash Apprentice
I agree!, the thing here it's to do the best we can and give hope to the new ness players! I'm practicing a lot to get all ness's potencial!

PK Illuminati

Banned via Warnings
Basically the amount of tech skill, precision and knowledge required to play him even remotely close to a competitive level is not worth the effort to many players. And usually Ness players never seem to catch a break from getting dumpstered on stream and whatnot, so that discourages people even more. He doesn't really have any novelty factor like Pichu or Kirby to generate hype and his gimp-ability is very anticlimactic.
He doesn't really have any novelty factor like Pichu or Kirby to generate hype and his gimp-ability is very anticlimactic.
He doesn't really have any novelty factor
generate hype
Progducto after Mofo thunder jacketed Hax: Sweet black baby jesus! -everyone at venue cheers-

Top Bottom