• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is my harddrive...dead?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
well, today i was playing a random game,all of a sudden my PC restarts randomly and windows starts booting up all the way to the desktop and then it just restarts again,so then i took out my D: drive and now everything is working,i would just format the D: drive but anytime it picks up when i reboot the PC nothing will work so i cant even format it, is there any way to fix my harddrive or is there no hope?:(

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, let me get your setup clear...

You have a normal hard drive which Windows labels C:/, yes? Then you have an additional drive labeled D:/?

Is the D drive internal or external? The problem could also be in the connecting cable or ports. Try just switching the C and D drives and see what happens.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Boot into your BIOS when the during the start up. Press F10 or F12 to get into the BIOS depending on the manufacturer of your PC's motherboard. Then select hard drive diagnostic test. If it passes the test it's not your hard drive. If you need further explanation ask.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
ok,so it turns out it was the harddrive,instead of it being <NTFS> or <FAT> it was some weird code <3kc$x#cj> or something,formatting the drive worked just fine,and everything seems to be working fine now,thanks for the help everyone

also,while i was adding stuff on the drive again,this folder appeared...

theres a windows xp installation on the drive,does this have anything to do with it?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
How old is that hard drive? Sounds like it got corrupted somehow. It might not have been age, though.

Sometimes Windows will do that to me too, though only at my work machine. Every so often I'll see a directory with a name that is just a bunch of garbage.

Though I can't help but notice all the characters in the folder name were numbers and letters that make up hex. It's likely a hex number, perhaps a hash of something made by a some app. I'm just guessing though.

cn23

Smash Cadet
If your drive has SMART Enabled, try checking that out and seeing wat it says (Google Search it)...Your hard drive may have failed.

Top Bottom