• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Mewtwo's jab good for anything?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Seriously, that's the one big thing I really hate about Mewtwo. His standard A jab is horrible. It comes out slowly and pushes people too far away for any kind of set up. I remember distinctly when I was fighting someone and they were about to roll into me. Usually, I can easily punish with a standard jab because they're quick and a good way of getting someone away from you. But no, I immediately jabbed, but my opponent rolled past the jab and punished me. I've yet to find any use for Mewtwo's jab, it just seems so bad.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
It isn't the fastest jab in existence as it connects on frame 6, but yeah, it combos into a grab at kill %s. With a throw game such as Mewtwo's, that's pretty huge. You can also go for jab 1 -> disable for shenanigans if they don't spam jump. Regardless, grab is a guaranteed follow-up from jab 1 from the looks of it.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Really? Because I tried that during a match actually (coming from my moderate experience with Palutena) and my grab always seemed to either miss or jab would push them too far away for me to grab. I'm trying it right now on a cpu in training, and it works but....it's just a cpu.

Last edited:

Sirgabite

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo currently has probably the 3rd best Jab1 in the game next to fox and palutena, its one of his main tools for setups

Last edited:

Mega Majikku

Smash Rookie
What I found Is that it can be used to stop a few projectiles like Toon Link's arrows and boomerang. I'll have to test on some other projectiles however.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
I use Mewtwo's jab as more of a mix up than a standard move in my arsenal. It has great range for a jab, so is best used for Mewtwo's already strong spacing.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I've been able to Jab 1 > D-Tilt > F-Air > F-Air at low %s.

At the very least Jab 1 > D-Tilt/ U-Tilt should lead to some sort of follow-up for you.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
I've been able to Jab 1 > D-Tilt > F-Air > F-Air at low %s.

At the very least Jab 1 > D-Tilt/ U-Tilt should lead to some sort of follow-up for you.
I would suggest Bair or Upair after Uptilt, depending on where on the hitbox you hit your opponent with. Against fast fallers, like the almighty Captain, you can land two Dtilits before an Uptilt.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Stopping projectiles, a good combo starter if you can predict your opponent's movement and start the jab early.

Also, jab + d-tilt + fair gives you a lot space. This usually works great around 30-40% and above.

holymario

Smash Apprentice
I really like the jab. jab -> grab is very basic but effective as always. Didn't knew about the jab -> Dtilt combos though. One thing I like to try on my opponent 1 or 2 times whe nthey are at 60-80 percent is jab -> DownB if it connects you can almost fully charge your smash and say bye to your enemy depending on the weight of the other character :)

Gr4pefru1t

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Octorock
Low percents = Jab > Jab > Jab > Grab
Higher Percents = Jab > (Jab, depending on weight) > Grab (usually up-throw, being that it's his strongest throw anywhere on stage besides the sides. in that case, use back throw if you can)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If it hasn't been learned by anyone here, jab has property called trample, which means that Mewtwo will not flinch if the move clanks with something.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
meleebrawler meleebrawler you beat me to the punch!

Anyway, this is a really cool thing about Mewtwo's jab because you may be able to use it to gain frame advantage in those situations.

As someone mentioned before, this could work out well against Sonic, who likes to spin around, which often creates clash opportunities. You might even be able to get jab clash into disable shenanigans.

Really just theorycrafting though, I bet you guys will come up with something way cooler. Just keep in mind that high/low priority rules still apply.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChxDRzgKs0
And in case you want to learn more combos and setups, take a look at My Smash Corner's video. IMO Mewtwo is the most underrated character in Smash 4 (though I would still consider him somewhere between 45-41)
Indeed, Mewtwo may not be solo viable in the slightest if consistency is what you're after what with his weaknesses against high tiers and the constant pressure of light weight, but he still almost always has what it takes to win and if nothing else can make for a powerful secondary.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Jab 1 -> Disable -> Down Smash = Profit

Also, I think it's not that bad. It deals some decent damage and the final jab really pushes people far away, leaving you some time to charge Shadow Ball.

Browny

Smash Hater
Twice this past week in recorded matches, Mew^2 landed jab-utilt-usmash in tournament to take stocks at relatively low %'s (im talking like 70-90%) and it makes me want to test whether jab 1 naturally puts the opponent into the exact hitbox of utilt which sends them into usmash.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Twice this past week in recorded matches, Mew^2 landed jab-utilt-usmash in tournament to take stocks at relatively low %'s (im talking like 70-90%) and it makes me want to test whether jab 1 naturally puts the opponent into the exact hitbox of utilt which sends them into usmash.
I've seen that too, and I've tried it many times. It works, however I don't think it's guaranteed. I think it has to do with the size/weight/fall speed of the character, although I'm not 100% sure. Sometimes it hits them with the tip of the tail, causing them to fly too far to the right or left (respectively speaking on which direction you're facing when you hit them with Jab1). I think it works better on smaller characters like Lucas or Toon Link as the hitbox for the tail won't be so easy to reach.

EDIT: It may work on somewhat thinner characters too, as I've landed it on a few Ganondorfs.
Also, DI might come into play here.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
You cant DI the utilt hit that sends you into the usmash. If you hit the enemy with that exact hitbox that pops them in the right area, they can't do anything about it.

The trick is actually managing to hit that strange hitbox. Funnily enough I find it easier to land on Jigglypuff than I do heavy characters... so if she can't avoid it, no one can lol. Its just so odd how it works.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well I'm sure your positioning when you land that jab has an impact too. Like, I don't see the combo working if you hit with the very end of jab.

MewSquared

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, Mew^2 here to provide a little bit of insight on what everyone is talking about. I'm seeing some mixed opinions about Mewtwo's grab and I just want to set the record straight!
So for starters, Mewtwo's grab is very, very, VERY solid, in fact I'd almost even call it phenomenal. It is decently quick, has above average range, and most importantly can lead into a plethora of combos and setups. For starters, his rapid jab combo isn't too shaggy, it deals roughly 10-14% depending on how long its held, and creates a large amount of needed space. Mewtwo also has a phenomenal jab to grab game. It is true as long as your positioned correctly and even still most times you can do a quick dash grab to get the confirm, but timing is a little strict. This serves as a reliable way to guarantee an up throw, or just to rack up damage with forward throw or down throw. There are even some interesting gimmicks you can do with it, such as jab to Disable and jab to Confusion, but this is much more gimmicky. Now for the best part of the jab, the massive plethora of combos it creates. Jab can first off combo into d-tilt, which is also one of Mewtwo's best combo setups. Jab, d-tilt, to f-air and sometimes a second f-air is true on a large portion of the cast, and nets around 35% damage. That much damage off of one jab is beyond ridiculous. At higher percents you will want to look for jab d-tilt into u-air. Of course, both of these combos can be done with just d-tilt and skipping the jab part, but the slight extra damage is always nice. Lastly, one of the most important and fundamental jab combo to any Mewtwo main's arsenal is going to be the amazing stuff that can be done with u-tilt. Jab u-tilt into up smash is an amazing kill setup, its reliable, guaranteed, and can kill as low as 70-80% depending on rage and enemy weight. This combo only works on certain characters, which even I'm still trying to figure out, but it is 100% true and cannot be avoided. Some characters will fly away with the u-tilt and up smash won't connect, however you can still combo a b-air or chase them down for a follow up. On some characters you have to go straight into u-tilt into up smash, as the jab changes the u-tilt trajectory and knocks them away. Also, hitting the closer hitboxes of jab as opposed to the latter can also change the trajectory, for good or for bad. At lower percents you can actually spam jab u-tilt, back to jab u-tilt, and repeat to lock them in for a massively high damaging combo, I know for fact this works on Shiek. Overall, Mewtwo's jab is an exceptional move in his arsenal, it confirms into some safe kill setups, can combo in for some of Mewtwo's most damaging combos or be used to start combos, and is just a safe, low risk high reward move to use, especially when compared to some other jabs.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey everyone, Mew^2 here to provide a little bit of insight on what everyone is talking about. I'm seeing some mixed opinions about Mewtwo's grab and I just want to set the record straight!
So for starters, Mewtwo's grab is very, very, VERY solid, in fact I'd almost even call it phenomenal. It is decently quick, has above average range, and most importantly can lead into a plethora of combos and setups. For starters, his rapid jab combo isn't too shaggy, it deals roughly 10-14% depending on how long its held, and creates a large amount of needed space. Mewtwo also has a phenomenal jab to grab game. It is true as long as your positioned correctly and even still most times you can do a quick dash grab to get the confirm, but timing is a little strict. This serves as a reliable way to guarantee an up throw, or just to rack up damage with forward throw or down throw. There are even some interesting gimmicks you can do with it, such as jab to Disable and jab to Confusion, but this is much more gimmicky. Now for the best part of the jab, the massive plethora of combos it creates. Jab can first off combo into d-tilt, which is also one of Mewtwo's best combo setups. Jab, d-tilt, to f-air and sometimes a second f-air is true on a large portion of the cast, and nets around 35% damage. That much damage off of one jab is beyond ridiculous. At higher percents you will want to look for jab d-tilt into u-air. Of course, both of these combos can be done with just d-tilt and skipping the jab part, but the slight extra damage is always nice. Lastly, one of the most important and fundamental jab combo to any Mewtwo main's arsenal is going to be the amazing stuff that can be done with u-tilt. Jab u-tilt into up smash is an amazing kill setup, its reliable, guaranteed, and can kill as low as 70-80% depending on rage and enemy weight. This combo only works on certain characters, which even I'm still trying to figure out, but it is 100% true and cannot be avoided. Some characters will fly away with the u-tilt and up smash won't connect, however you can still combo a b-air or chase them down for a follow up. On some characters you have to go straight into u-tilt into up smash, as the jab changes the u-tilt trajectory and knocks them away. Also, hitting the closer hitboxes of jab as opposed to the latter can also change the trajectory, for good or for bad. At lower percents you can actually spam jab u-tilt, back to jab u-tilt, and repeat to lock them in for a massively high damaging combo, I know for fact this works on Shiek. Overall, Mewtwo's jab is an exceptional move in his arsenal, it confirms into some safe kill setups, can combo in for some of Mewtwo's most damaging combos or be used to start combos, and is just a safe, low risk high reward move to use, especially when compared to some other jabs.
Well ain't this a fine how-do-you-do. I'm sure a lot of people will be thrilled.

Just one question: are you sure you're talking about grab near the beginning or jab? Because it is true that it's only Mewtwo's dash grab that has notoriously poor range (though somewhat alleviated by Mewtwo's good dash).

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
This
This this this
This explains everything I missed up there lol. Thanks a lot for clearing that up!
Also omigosh it's actually Mew^2 I can't believe this yooo super hyped

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Browny Browny MewSquared MewSquared meleebrawler meleebrawler Smashifer Smashifer I thought this discussion was very interesting since i have also wondered about this combo for a long time, so i decided to make a topic about this specific combo (Jab > Weak Utilt > Usmash) and which characters and percents it works on. Took a while to test it all but im pretty sure it's accurate.

http://smashboards.com/threads/jab-utilt-ko-combo-characters-percents.422787/
Remember that in My Smash Corner's video it said that it often depends on whether or not your opponent is crouching or not. Thankfully a majority of characters don't need to be crouching in order for it to actually hit them.

Top Bottom