• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Little Mac a skill gate character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This type of character is the one that is difficult for new or less skilled players
to beat, but is defeated fairly easily by skilled players. (This doesn't necessarily mean
they are defeated by every competitive player easily, however.)

A good example of this would be Ike in Brawl, whose absurdly powerful attacks
would wreck newbie players, but has his sluggish speed punished constantly by
more skilled players.

Little Mac is difficult at first glance since he has ridiculously strong and fast
attacks on the ground, and new players likely aren't apt to capitalize on his greatest
weakness: abysmal recovery.

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
He's high risk high reward, and a lot of new players FOR mac simply throw themselves off the edge to their dooms. Repeatedly. He is a finesse character that requires a lot of thought and mindgames in a limited (Strictly ground) environment. I think new macs match up well with other players just for the Self Deaths alone, but once we get to the middle ground of average/mediocre, he pulls ahead a bit. This is then rescinded as the opponent begins to grow and utilize his more versatile movesets.

Long story short I feel as if though mac can be responded to, and is notably fair in competitive environments, but does tend to stomp around a certain point in the bellcurve, where the highest sum of the population of players lie. He is easy to pick up and tricky to master against strong competition. I would say that much yes.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
He's a glass canon character just straight up. He has to tools to deal with just about anything onstage, but if he messes up once it could cost him a stock. :p

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I think Mac has a skillgate component, and I think Mac has a glass cannon component as well, but I don't think either of those things are outright true. Mac rewards both players for being more skilled than their opponent, and Mac has a lot of powerful defensive tools that increase his tenacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom