• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Link worth having as a main???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing smash as Link since 64 and I've always been fond of him. I feel like I'm constantly at a disadvantage when I use him. I consider myself an okay player with him but with Link being at the bottom of the tier list I'm not sure of its worth keeping him my main. He's got a really neat move set but this tier thing bothers me. Is it even accurate? I've seen Izaw and his awesome gaming skills and it makes me wonder if the tier thing is accurate. Maybe I just need to try harder.

Hmmmm, opinions???

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Link can definitely be an effective character in competitive play, but you have to make use of the following things (at least; others will say you need to master even more...) to have a chance.

-Have a working knowledge of the hit box and frame data for Link's moves.
Spot dodging! Link has the best in the game. Learn to time it correctly depending on your attacker's moves and decide whether or not you'll have time to punish or if you need to retreat.
-Link has a long list of advanced techniques. I would recommend mastering a few that really play well with your fighting style and are useful/versatile against most characters. Be able to perform some of the other ones and pull them out for surprises/mindgames.
-Speaking of mindgames, playing Link is all about mindgames. You must be strategic not only in how you use which moves, but when you use them and how many times.
-Learn how to correctly recover, especially against fierce edge guarders. Watching pro videos is great for this. A few tips: Learn Directional Influence, use Link's momentum to help recover, don't waste your second jump by using it too soon, and practice tether recoveries (this can turn the tables quickly and gain you a stock!).
-Develop your edge game. Go to every stage and see how far you can get off the edge before you can no longer come back. After this, test which moves can be used in these spaces and when. Also, learn to make use of link's tether recovery and the extra invincibility frames it gets you.
-Get to know the physics surrounding Link's projectiles and how they act in many situations. Even without considering advanced techniques, a well placed bomb, gale, or arrow can take a stock or even win a match.

All in all I would just say that Link will take lots of research and practice to be a viable competition character; however, the feeling of accomplishment will be much greater if you do manage to be successful. I have been considering becoming competitive with Link myself, but I think I have quite a bit of practice and advanced techniques to master before I can start hitting the tournaments.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to read the Link guides posted on the forums.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Bro, any character is worth main-ing, the work you put in them, the more amazing they will get. I'll keep using this example, Salem changed ZZS! Not by watching others, but by learning on his own. Taking the foundation of ZZS and changing it to a whole new Meta-game. I plan to do the same thing with my WiFi Link~

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Believe the legend.

Though as GYK said, you don't have to watch others to build strong meta-game, but it certainly gives you a place to start or at least shows what kinds of things are readily available.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Link's foundation is:

Projectile game: Gale-boomerang, Arrows, Bombs (your mind is the answer to decided how to use these babies). Better the video shows you.

Close combat: Jabs, smashes (forward, Upward, downward, and side to side)

Recovery options: Learning ways to not get gimped.

Like, recovering low, throwing Link's Boomerang, shooting Link's Arrows, and if you have a bomb in Link's hand to hold it and wait when it's about to explode (in-order to get closer to the ledge and not get gimped).

Then, you have Zair and other fancy tools for Link. Here's the best guide for video (that's in a video). I learned by my self. Only reason is because of Melee. When you learn to play Melee, Brawl is cake.

Anyway, here you go. Take care Link brethren~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Link is the best character in the whole game so yes link is very worthy to be a main. Link is god his hit box is very good and his range is very nice. I got one thing to say Link will always be boss! I will main link in every ssbb game no matter what and because I love the series. When I was a little kid I would always pretend that I was link with my master sword and my hylian shield fighting ganaondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom