• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Jab 1 > Shoryuken better than Weak Utilt > Shoryuken?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Im talking about True Shoryuken obviously...

If anybody has noticed, at high percents, using weak utilt into True Shoryuken can (key word: can) be slightly ineffective. The utilt KB will be high enough to the point where the infamous true combo can't kill due to the True Shoryuken landing a sourspot. If you perform a Jab 1 > True Shoryuken, it will always (even at 999%) land a sweetspot True Shoryuken, but this leads to a few problems. Landing a Jab 1 is difficult in general at semi-tense or chaotic situations during battle, it is also unknown (by me, at least) if Jab 1 > True Shoryuken is a true combo. Last, Jab 1 > True Shoryuken requires a good amount of time to successfully perform consistently.

I said Shoryuken 10 times....

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Well. In some ways yes. It is a frame faster (Jab F2 and Lutilt F3) so it can connect better in rare cases and it is a lot harder to SDI out of. And yes, it does have set kb. However, it has less range and is harder to hit with than LDtilt and LUtilt. I think that LDtilt is better than jab because range but not by too much.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Im talking about True Shoryuken obviously...

If anybody has noticed, at high percents, using weak utilt into True Shoryuken can (key word: can) be slightly ineffective. The utilt KB will be high enough to the point where the infamous true combo can't kill due to the True Shoryuken landing a sourspot. If you perform a Jab 1 > True Shoryuken, it will always (even at 999%) land a sweetspot True Shoryuken, but this leads to a few problems. Landing a Jab 1 is difficult in general at semi-tense or chaotic situations during battle, it is also unknown (by me, at least) if Jab 1 > True Shoryuken is a true combo. Last, Jab 1 > True Shoryuken requires a good amount of time to successfully perform consistently.

I said Shoryuken 10 times....
It is 100% a better confirm in ALL ways. As D DisidisiD said, it actually connects on EVERY character at kill percents whereas St.LP (U-Tilt) will not connect on the floaties like :rosalina: and :4zelda:. It actually has more range when connecting to the sweetspot of TSRK than both St.LP and Cr.LK (D-Tilt) but overall has less. Jab 1 IS in fact a true combo into TSRK but it is much more consistent if you input B instead of A after the Jab, which can be awkward for some people.

I would still argue that Cr.LK is the best option because it is as fast as Jab 1 but it also augments the hurtbox of Ryu which is always a good thing. I use Cr.LK the most.

Appe3

Smash Cadet
I think jab is better against Rosa, Ness and the other floaties past 80%. On someone like Falcon or Sheik or Fox or any fastfaller, utilt is ALWAYS better until about 110%, because it true combos against these guys, and it's easier to combo and land than jab.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I think jab is better against Rosa, Ness and the other floaties past 80%. On someone like Falcon or Sheik or Fox or any fastfaller, utilt is ALWAYS better until about 110%, because it true combos against these guys, and it's easier to combo and land than jab.
I'd disagree. Jab 1 is a true connection to TSRK on every single character.

Furthermore, really good players know how to SDI out of it by like 3 at maximum to St.LP (U-Tilt) isn't really THAT much better. Jab has more range but you can move with St.LP so I would say St.LP is easier to land but Jab 1 is also 1 frame faster...

Appe3

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but I land the TSRK always after the first utilt, so I don't really have to worry about SDI before about 90%

Appe3

Smash Cadet
It's kinda easy, but most people at like 80% can't react to the first utilt, at least at my weeklies. I haven't had many monthlies where I could be against the highest level players here in my scene, so yeah

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
It's kinda easy, but most people at like 80% can't react to the first utilt, at least at my weeklies. I haven't had many monthlies where I could be against the highest level players here in my scene, so yeah
Regardless, having the ability to combo TSRK from all combo starters is a decent skill to have as a Ryu player. So practicing Jab 1 > TSRK, Dtilt 1 > Tsrk should be apart of your practice. That way you have multiple setups and muscle memory to help better secure a KO...at least that's how I see it

Megamang

Smash Lord
Playing with a Ryu main pretty consistently, I have a pretty good idea of when im going to get confirmed into Shoryu. I can SDI to the sourspot in a single utilt if its a punish (ie I see it coming and know i'll be hit). Of course, there is counterplay (Im too busy mashing SDI to really react and attack, so just waiting to TRSK kills me, but it gives you a little better chance) but its definitely something that can save me clutch games (surviving a single important Shoryu is huuuuuuuge, especially if it was gonna kill early).

My 2c: The jab is a better confirm.

This is with Megaman/Mario/Pikachu.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I still prefer D-tilt because of the range and ability to hit all heights, but I'll have to try and incorporate Jab-1 more.

CStream

Smash Rookie
I find that each of the options has its own benefits(obviously). Weak d-tilt can confirm into itself several times into shoryu and is also a true combo allowing you to tack on some extra percent. Weak u-tilt gives a great confirm on most characters at kill percents, but SDI is prevalent against weak u-tilt so the confirm may receive the weak hit not getting the kill. As for jab the it sets up the opponent perfectly for shoryu at any percent. With all this in mind I just choose whichever I feel will do the best in a particular situation, this is usually the case with Ryu so leave it up to your own discretion.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
The best confirm is waiting for your opponent to think they can actually use a move in their kit and just TSRK w/e they do to beat it out. Kappa........kinda?

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
The best confirm is waiting for your opponent to think they can actually use a move in their kit and just TSRK w/e they do to beat it out. Kappa........kinda?
I like to bait out Falcon Punches/Knees and FA them, pretty much in the same vain. No kappa.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
jab to TSRK is good but very hard to do imo. you have to read it, its hard to react to and you can get punished if you dont hit it

CStream

Smash Rookie
jab to TSRK is good but very hard to do imo. you have to read it, its hard to react to and you can get punished if you dont hit it
To do jab into trsk assuming that 'a' is attack and 'b' is special then use 'a' for the jab and use 'b' to activate the trsk. The two buttons are close to one another making it quite easy

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Actually, you can do a OS with jab TSRK. On hit, you do jab TSRK (use A to input). On whiff, you just do two jabs. It's pretty hard but its possible.

CHiRST

Smash Rookie
Actually, you can do a OS with jab TSRK. On hit, you do jab TSRK (use A to input). On whiff, you just do two jabs. It's pretty hard but its possible.
Have you been able to do this consistently? It sounds good but I'd like to know how consistent you think it is.

CStream

Smash Rookie
Have you been able to do this consistently? It sounds good but I'd like to know how consistent you think it is.
I think that using "a" for jab and "b" for trsk is much more consistant. If you're able to do it with all "a" props to you, but using the buttons sererately leaves a smaller margin of error

Top Bottom