• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Is it worth it to buy a Wii U just for smash?

mitchhit

Smash Rookie
I'm leaving for college soon and won't be able to play on my friends Wii U anymore, should I buy one just for smash? I don't see a port/smash 5 coming out anytime soon on the switch. I found a Wii u on craigslist for $110, and I already have a couple game cube controllers so I think it would cost me between 175-200 total.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
If you do have Gamecube controllers, then I guess it's fine. Though if I were you, I wouldn't stop there with one game. Smash Wii U is a game definitely worth getting, but there are also games worth looking into too. That's what I usually think.

However, since you're returning back to college, you probably won't prioritize games over expenses or whatever during your studying either (I sure as hell won't when I return to second year studies in September), so I think a Wii U for one game is fine.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I played Smash 4 for a couple of years. It was fun until I started playing against Cloud and Bayonetta and other characters more and more. My characters I did play were significantly weaker than these other characters, some of whom were brand new and given lots of attention and love, whereas my characters were not so blessed. It was frustrating to want to play on equal grounds against these characters and being unable to. So when I heard about and was introduced to Project M, I very quickly realized the significant flaws of Smash 4 that had already been beginning to dawn on me. After playing it for a short while, I had lots of fun with the game, much more than I had playing Smash 4, so I quit Smash 4 and haven't enjoyed playing it or watching it since.

I had invested about $50 into Smash 4 and now I want nothing to do with it. ~$50 into Project M and I know it's going to last.

I'd say you should seriously consider what you enjoy about the game, including against what opponents you have fun playing against, and then decide whether you are that committed to Smash 4 to spend over $100 for a one-game system.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
If Smash 4 is the game you enjoy, why not get a Wii U in order to keep playing it? It seems like you would be getting a great deal on the Wii U, so your total would be:
System: $110
Game: $35 (used)
GCN Adapter: $20

The total is looking to be about $165. Very reasonable to play this game.

mitchhit

Smash Rookie
Thank you guys for the replies, I think I'm going to buy it because I love playing this game, and DarkAuraFul was right about maybe Ill find some other games like splatoon that I'll end up enjoying

Top Bottom