• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to cancel Up-B?

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
A lot of you might already know this, but Dr. Mario was able to cancel his Up-B in melee.

In Smash 4, his Up-B was changed so that it can sweetspot in its first few frames. So, theoretically, if Dr. Mario can still cancel his up-b in this game, it could lead to some deadly results.

But my question here is, is it still possible to cancel Doc's up-b in Smash 4? I'm not sure if this has already been tested and I'm sure as heck not skilled enough to test it and determine whether it is possible or not.

Thanks.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it can be cancelled. If it could, it'd be figured out by now for sure.

The best you can do is reverse it during the freeze frames.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I know it's not the same thing, but I've hit it at the same time my opponent was doing an attack and, thus, didn't go through the entire upper cut animation. I still hit my opponent and send them flying, but I'm able to immediately run and follow up as necessary. It's not a legit cancel, but it's as close as we're going to get I'd imagine. Also, I've done it when recovering to the ledge off-stage when my opponent is running up to ledge guard. The ledge grab animation basically stops the upper cut, but the initial hit still connects.

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I can think of is hitting a shield offstage if they are close to the ledge, you will hit the Up B and grab the ledge inmediately. Some time ago I did UpAir -> UpB on shield when recovering almost breaking the shield, and inmediatly grabbing the ledge.

I need to do more testing but that's the only "cancel" possible.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Some doc players used up-b offstage near the ledge to instantly snap onto the ledge, creating a visual illusion of an up-b cancel. This tactic is a good option for punishing opponents offstage near the ledge.

It's technically the closest thing we have to melee doc's up-b cancel. Maybe I should look at exactly how up-b cancel worked in melee.

Top Bottom