• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it okay to switch from 1.01/02 Melee to 1.0 before a match?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
You only get the Thunder Net advantage in 1.0, so I was wondering if it was okay to switch the version of Melee on the current setup in order to have it.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
This is one of those things where the advantage of having the possibility of a thunder net probably isn't worth the hassle and/or commotion of actually switching out the disk before a match. I think it's okay to check if the current disk is v1.0 or not via hand warmers, but to switch out just to get version difference advantage seems a little scrubby. You don't see Zelda or Samus players doing it to get the SDI mechanic difference advantage. A large part of playing Ness is dealing with all the BS that comes with the character and trying to give yourself a slight advantage that the opponent would probably become aware of if you really did insist on switching to a different version (they'd probably start asking questions) doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited:

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Melee v1.00 makes a significant difference for Ness. The main things you have to worry about when requesting v1.00 at a tournament are: Does the tournament have any? If so, can the tournament run smoothly with you switching and mixing up station assignments? If you start winning more using v1.00 will people start requesting v1.02 when facing you(or in general)?

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Just to add to this, DJ Nintendo switched to 1.0 at Zenith 2013. If it isn't a high profile tournament I am not sure it is exactly worth it personally, but if you feel your chances are significantly increased due to this PKT mechanic, then I would actually just contact the TO before the tournament. And it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Of course, I feel as though switching game versions should always fall under the Gentleman's Clause. If your opponent is fine with it, I see no trouble if it doesn't significantly slow the tournament down. You are already on TST (tournament standard time) which is so far behind.

My opinion is to talk to the TO and allow it to fall under the Gentleman's Clause.

Top Bottom