• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it not possible to get an Up Smash after getting the tech chase roll after a down tilt trip?

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
Sorry if that was confusing or if my lingo wasn't completely accurate.

What I'm asking is if say Kirby trips someone with his down tilt and they roll away and I chase the roll. Is it possible to hit them with a running Up Smash if they try to immediately try to go for shield before their shield comes up after they roll?

I swear I used to get that consistently, but recently I never get it. Should I just start going for grabs in that situation when they're far enough that I can't just Down Tilt to Forward Smash or something?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
The problem is that Kirby's Up Smash comes out on Frame 14 which is slower than almost every Up Smash of its variety. (You know, flip kicks and head swings). For comparison, Fox's is only slightly weaker yet hits 6 frames faster. This is why Kirby can't Up Smash out of shield reliably. It's so slow that I never even thought of doing that do that after a trip. I tend do one of several things:

- Trip than Grab
- Trip than F-Smash
- Trip than land a D-Air or N-Air
- D-Tilt a second time or F-Tilt if I am nervous about not getting the trip

Until Nintendo (hopefully) gives Up Smash some more reasonable startup (8-10 would be nice), I would only use Up Smash for reads, hard punishes, or after you spike your opponent into the floor with D-Air as if you spike on stage it'll pop then into position to land it. Tough to get the last spike box on stage though.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I feel like it would only work if you KNOW the dtilt is going to trip, and you KNOW they're going to roll away. It's very common for people to buffer roll away after a trip by accident or by habit, because they'll be holding away when they get hit by the dtilt, in an attempt to DI out of any potential combos or whatever.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
To the OP

You can, but you have to read/anticipate the roll away. You can react to the trip, but its difficult to react to roll away AND punish with Up Smash. Most people either roll away or get up attack after being tripped by Dtilt, so you can almost always read those options and successfully punish with Up Smash, or RAR Bair as a DI mixup if they expect the Up Smash. RAR Bair is faster tho, 10/11 frames (4 frame jumpsquat, 6 frame Bair, maybe add 1 more frame for turning around)

Trip rolls take, ill assume since it was in Brawl, 44 frames. Time it takes to run over to the character is around 18-20 frames depending on the character and damage. Up-Smash is 14. That leaves 10-12 frames of reaction time. A few of the pros at best have a 12 frame pure reaction time btw; which is .2 seconds if you wanted to test it online. To react any faster you need to anticipate the opponents options.

Last edited:

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
everything so far has been helpful, thanks a lot guys

Top Bottom